Emerald Princess November 12 2023 Concerns

3 Lost at sea

14 minutes ago, 3 Lost at sea said:

Any other cruisers concerned about sailing in the med with the different conflicts going on?  So unfortunate. Making me think twice. Thank you!

It would probably help in the future if you make your title more specific to your question, which is "concerns about sailing in the Med given the current conflicts".

Or do you mean there is some special concern for your particular sailing ship/date?

If the former, you'll get more eyes reading with a better title.

(And there's a chance someone will suggest that your post/thread should get moved to the Princess cruise line section... which I'm guessing isn't actually what you want?)

As for "concerns given the conflict", yes, many are very concerned about that.  People are canceling their cruises.  Cruiselines are also changing itineraries.

And unfortunately, I don't think this will end soon.

NOTE:  We have dear friends who moved to Israel over a year ago.

DH has a Zoom call once a week.  Today, just minutes ago, he had barely connected, said "Hello", and he could hear the sirens go off in the background.  His friend will obviously reconnect later.

... or so we hope! 😟

GC

• Like 1

This post will likely be moved to the Princess board, but what is happening currently in that region is something that the cruise lines monitor very closely with passenger, crew, and ship safety as their main priority.  You would have to confirm what the late date cancelation penalty would be, but likely the cruise line will either alter the itinerary so as to avoid any risk or if they cancel it, advise as to what rebooking or credit options you will have.  Unfortunately this may a late decision on their part due to the complexity of the situation and to reschedule.  I would reach out to them directly or my TA for any guidance that may be available.

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

It would probably help in the future if you make your title more specific to your question, which is "concerns about sailing in the Med given the current conflicts".

Or do you mean there is some special concern for your particular sailing ship/date?

If the former, you'll get more eyes reading with a better title.

(And there's a chance someone will suggest that your post/thread should get moved to the Princess cruise line section... which I'm guessing isn't actually what you want?)

As for "concerns given the conflict", yes, many are very concerned about that.  People are canceling their cruises.  Cruiselines are also changing itineraries.

And unfortunately, I don't think this will end soon.

NOTE:  We have dear friends who moved to Israel over a year ago.

DH has a Zoom call once a week.  Today, just minutes ago, he had barely connected, said "Hello", and he could hear the sirens go off in the background.  His friend will obviously reconnect later.

... or so we hope! 😟

GC

Sending prayers for your friend and all that are affected. Also praying this will be like the 7 day war. But when you’re fighting a faceless terrorist organization, who use their own people as human shields, it is very different from fighting another country with clear borders. How can you even negotiate with a group whose sole purpose is your annihilation? 

• Like 1

Thinking twice is a good way to put it.  It is reasonable to be concerned about the armed conflict, and beyond that, the anti-American and anti-semitic riots happening.   We currently have one land trip and two cruises scheduled for next year.  All are in Europe.   We will wait and see what happens.  We have other places to visit and enjoy, so why expose ourselves to potential terrorism, rioting, and increased crime.  

BTW, the U.S. State Dept has the following world wide travel caution:  

"Due to increased tensions in various locations around the world, the potential for terrorist attacks, demonstrations or violent actions against U.S. citizens and interests, the Department of State advises U.S. citizens overseas to exercise increased caution."

At sea in the Med you will be fine. There are two US Carrier Battle Groups (one there, one on the way) in the eastern Med so it's a very safe place. They control the sea and air for the entire area. The risk here is visiting certain countries; specifically anywhere on the African continent, Israel, and any muslim dominated countries such as Turkey, Syria, Lebanon etc should be avoided. 

47 minutes ago, figment_nh said:

Not sure what the op was meaning but the Emerald Princess will be in the Caribbean on that date

Yeah, I think they meant the Enchanted.  We will be on that sailing, 26 days, back to Ft Lauderdale.  No worries here, as always we will be as vigilant of our surroundings as we can.

Edited by LACruiser88