Paying the difference after final payment

kris816

I am wondering if anyone else is having difficulty paying the difference for a better class of cabin after final payment date. I’ve never had any issues doing this in the past. However, I was just told it is no longer allowable by my TA. I originally booked an ocean view cabin. At the time, the balcony cabins were about $500 more than the ocean views. The rates for balconies are now only $100 more than what I paid for the oceanview. I asked my TA if I was able to pay the difference and move up to a balcony. He said he called Royal and they will not allow it. They said I have to pay a prevailing rate which would be $350 more dollars than what I paid, not the current rate of only $100 more that that is showing on the website. My TA told me that Royal is becoming very strict about changes after final payment. It seems to me Royal is wanting me to pay what the minimum Royal Up bid is for a balcony instead of the rate that’s on their website, if I want to move up. Has anyone had any luck lately with Royal allowing them to pay the difference between the rate they paid, and what is now on the website to change cabins after final payment?

34 minutes ago, kris816 said:

He said he called Royal and they will not allow it. They said I have to pay a prevailing rate which would be $350 more dollars than what I paid, not the current rate of only $100 more that that is showing on the website.

The issue is likely not upgrading (which is still allowed) but this apparent difference - you may be looking at something other than what RCI is seeing.

42 minutes ago, kris816 said:

I am wondering if anyone else is having difficulty paying the difference for a better class of cabin after final payment date. I’ve never had any issues doing this in the past. However, I was just told it is no longer allowable by my TA. I originally booked an ocean view cabin. At the time, the balcony cabins were about $500 more than the ocean views. The rates for balconies are now only $100 more than what I paid for the oceanview. I asked my TA if I was able to pay the difference and move up to a balcony. He said he called Royal and they will not allow it. They said I have to pay a prevailing rate which would be $350 more dollars than what I paid, not the current rate of only $100 more that that is showing on the website. My TA told me that Royal is becoming very strict about changes after final payment. It seems to me Royal is wanting me to pay what the minimum Royal Up bid is for a balcony instead of the rate that’s on their website, if I want to move up. Has anyone had any luck lately with Royal allowing them to pay the difference between the rate they paid, and what is now on the website to change cabins after final payment?

You may be looking at a special rate which is for new bookings only but you can definitely still upgrade after final by paying the difference

2 hours ago, kris816 said:

They said I have to pay a prevailing rate which would be $350 more dollars than what I paid, not the current rate of only $100 more that that is showing on the website. 

Yes if you upgrade, you would always pay the prevailing rate ... not the difference you saw before. Do a mock booking and you pay whatever is now the prevailing rate ... not what royal up is. The current rate.

3 hours ago, kris816 said:

Has anyone had any luck lately with Royal allowing them to pay the difference between the rate they paid, and what is now on the website to change cabins after final payment?

Yes, we just did this a few of days ago when we took advantage of RCL's dynamic pricing. We upgraded from a 2T Promenade View Interior to a 2D Ocean View Balcony for $42.00 total. It can be done, but you will have to check the pricing continuously to see if the prices fall. The timing is critical, because the deals don't last long. Sometimes for just a few hours.

We were able to do this a few weeks ago. We booked an oceanview guarantee on the Odyssey. When I was able to see by the barcode that our room was going to be an obstructed view found a room for $110pp more for an ocean view on the hump. We originally booked directly on their website. When I called and said what room I wanted for the upgrade they originally quoted a much higher price. Then I said I had a screenshot of the price I was requesting that I could text them. She then put me on hold and looked again and found the correct price and I booked the nicer room.