Azura cruise - wheelchair experience

sandancer

For the first time we have needed a wheelchair for the full duration of a cruise and not just for embarkation and disembarkation. We experienced a great deal of kindness and help especially with the lift situation. We were almost always ushered in first and sometimes people would offer to leave the lift in order for us to get in. In the buffet and Java bar others would jump up to move chairs to make room for the wheelchair or move themselves to another table. It was a pleasure to cruise with such well mannered and considerate people. 

• Like 22

4 hours ago, sandancer said:

For the first time we have needed a wheelchair for the full duration of a cruise and not just for embarkation and disembarkation. We experienced a great deal of kindness and help especially with the lift situation. We were almost always ushered in first and sometimes people would offer to leave the lift in order for us to get in. In the buffet and Java bar others would jump up to move chairs to make room for the wheelchair or move themselves to another table. It was a pleasure to cruise with such well mannered and considerate people. 

Sister was in a wheelchair last couple of days Once leaving the theatre on Deck 6 It was impossible to get into a lift people just chose to barge in. Besides that others were kind enough during the day.

9 hours ago, carlanthony24 said:

Sister was in a wheelchair last couple of days Once leaving the theatre on Deck 6 It was impossible to get into a lift people just chose to barge in. Besides that others were kind enough during the day.

That’s a shame. We only had one issue and that was yesterday when the new people were getting on. They obviously couldn’t wait to get their cruise started. Other than that we had no problems. 

• Like 1

On 10/28/2023 at 9:23 PM, sandancer said:

That’s great to hear. We are currently on Ventura and are finding exactly the same. Such a relief after our poor experiences with a wheelchair on a packed Iona. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sandancer said:

We are on Iona in March. Hopefully we won’t have the same problems as you. Fingers crossed. 

I’m sure you’ll be fine. We were on Iona in peak summer school holidays with 5,750 people on board. Those with wheelchairs and scooters who have cruised on Iona during off peak periods have reported none of the issues we had. 

On 10/28/2023 at 9:23 PM, sandancer said:

It was a pleasure to cruise with such well mannered and considerate people. 

I am with you there Sandance.

I have found nothing but kindness on our cruises.  On our last one we hadn't realised it would be about 80%   full of our friends across the pond, but the same applied there, and it was great.

All in all on land as well, I personally would dismiss what I had heard before disability, that I would be invisible.  Thanks everyone.