Madagasca to cape town

denise143

we will be doing the trip from madagasca to cape town.  its our first cruise of Africa.  I want to do some excursions to see wildlife but not in every port.  Does anyone have any must do recommendations for spotting wildlife.  Is it possible to do these privately or should be just book the excursions with NCL.  this is a one in  a lifetime trip for our ruby wedding anniversary so would love to see some wildlife 

• 3 weeks later...

That sounds like an amazing trip.   One I'd love to do when I don't have to constantly work.  However,  and I mean this in the kindest way, the trip is so amazing,  why do it with NCL?  It would seem to me there are some smaller ships, including the sister brand Oceania, that would be better suited to something as amazing as this.  Things like onboard lectures, etc.  

On 11/5/2023 at 4:18 AM, denise143 said:

we will be doing the trip from madagasca to cape town.  its our first cruise of Africa.  I want to do some excursions to see wildlife but not in every port.  Does anyone have any must do recommendations for spotting wildlife.  Is it possible to do these privately or should be just book the excursions with NCL.  this is a one in  a lifetime trip for our ruby wedding anniversary so would love to see some wildlife 

You are going to have a great time! If you look in my expanded signature below, you’ll find my Live From thread covering our 38-day cruise on the Jade last fall, which included going to Madagascar, Reunion, as well as stopping at 3 South African ports, where we went on a NCL safari excursion at each one. I also posted pictures and descriptions of each. Hope this helps.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Yesimapirate said:

That sounds like an amazing trip.   One I'd love to do when I don't have to constantly work.  However,  and I mean this in the kindest way, the trip is so amazing,  why do it with NCL?  It would seem to me there are some smaller ships, including the sister brand Oceania, that would be better suited to something as amazing as this.  Things like onboard lectures, etc.  

yes it was my husband that booked it as a suprise gift for our wedding anniversary,  we will make the most of it despite being with NCL

3 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

You are going to have a great time! If you look in my expanded signature below, you’ll find my Live From thread covering our 38-day cruise on the Jade last fall, which included going to Madagascar, Reunion, as well as stopping at 3 South African ports, where we went on a NCL safari excursion at each one. I also posted pictures and descriptions of each. Hope this helps.

thank you what an amazing trip you had.  very helpful.  I have already booked some NCL excrusions especially in ports when we dont dock for too long just for the stess free experience 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

@denise143

If Richards Bay is included in your itinerary I hope you don't dock at the coal wharf.   We did!!!

yes i think we probably will ive seen pics and it looks pretty dusty.  maybe try and stay indoors when not out on an excursion 

6 minutes ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

I would make sure you have a VERY effective anti-dust mask especially if you have any breathing difficulties at all.

A Welsh ex-coalminer friend of ours who was on the cruise with us had a terrible time there.

Thank you we have masks left over from covid that I also use for tie dye I will pack some

8 hours ago, Yesimapirate said: