Best Sailor Loot uses?

kat228

First time on Virgin, sailing over Christmas. We booked with a TA and have $600 in sailor loot, and $300 bar tab. What are your favorite ways to spend sailor loot? 

My husband and I aren’t big drinkers, so I don’t think we’ll go over $300 in drinks, but if we do, can sailor loot also go towards drinks?

7 minutes ago, kat228 said:

First time on Virgin, sailing over Christmas. We booked with a TA and have $600 in sailor loot, and $300 bar tab. What are your favorite ways to spend sailor loot? 

My husband and I aren’t big drinkers, so I don’t think we’ll go over $300 in drinks, but if we do, can sailor loot also go towards drinks?

Gamble

• Like 1

Treat yourself to a massage.

Yes, if you go over your bar tab, sailor loot will the kick in. My wife and I will enjoy a drink or two per day on a cruise. We had $300 bar tab that we used maybe $100 of. I wish that bar tab left over would transfer to onboard credit.

I have used it to purchase some liquor in the Booty Free shop on the last night of the cruise, others have used it to purchase the hammocks when they have them in stock. You can put it towards any paid events on the ship which you can't book until you get on the WiFi. I did a Mezcal / Tequila tasting that was good, they have other paid events as well.

And the most overlooked thing on the ships, Afternoon Tea. It's one of the best of the mainstream cruise lines in the U.S. Well worth the prices. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 11/5/2023 at 10:53 AM, -The-True-North- said:

Gamble

I mean, that's not the best way to use it.  It's a horrible deal (though not better than just leaving the money in your room account).  Statistically at best you will be getting around $0.45 per dollar, compared to other things mentioned above, which are all $1 per dollar.  I don't think anyone answered your other question: Yes, the sailor loot can be used on drinks.

53 minutes ago, aviators99 said:

I mean, that's not the best way to use it.  It's a horrible deal (though not better than just leaving the money in your room account).  Statistically at best you will be getting around $0.45 per dollar, compared to other things mentioned above, which are all $1 per dollar.  I don't think anyone answered your other question: Yes, the sailor loot can be used on drinks.

European roulette with single zero.

$600 Loot:

$24 red $24 black. $2 single green and do that for 12 spins.

At most, you lose $156 if zero comes up 12 times in a row.

Best case, you lose $24 converting $600 monopoly money to USD. I call that $24 a conversion fee.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aviators99 said:

I guess it depends on where you are from and how you look at it.  Everything on the ship is overpriced....on virtually every cruise line.  If you'd rather take home some cash rather than an overpriced purse or t-shirt, I guess gambling might be a way to get it.  As noted, better than leaving money on the table.

My friend went nuts when she won at bingo.....but it sure didn't compare to all the times she bought cards and didn't win.  

• Like 2

Just now, cantgetin said:

I guess it depends on where you are from and how you look at it.  Everything on the ship is overpriced....on virtually every cruise line.  If you'd rather take home some cash rather than an overpriced purse or t-shirt, I guess gambling might be a way to get it.  As noted, better than leaving money on the table.

My friend went nuts when she won at bingo.....but it sure didn't compare to all the times she bought cards and didn't win.  

I don't think the drinks are overpriced, compared to restaurants (which are overpriced).

I'm all for gambling, but I'm just saying, the question was about the "best" way to use it, and I'm pretty sure that's not it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, -The-True-North- said:

European roulette with single zero.

$600 Loot:

$24 red $24 black. $2 single green and do that for 12 spins.

At most, you lose $156 if zero comes up 12 times in a row.

Best case, you lose $24 converting $600 monopoly money to USD. I call that $24 a conversion fee.

Roulette red and black pays 1:1, not 2:1, and these are match play chips.  So for each spin that doesn't come up single 0 you will lose $26.  If it does come up single 0 you will win $22.  My math may be off, but something like that.

Edited by aviators99

1 minute ago, aviators99 said:

Roulette red and black pays 1:1, not 2:1, and these are match play chips.  So for each spin that doesn't come up single 0 you will lose $26.  If it does come up single 0 you will win $22.  My math may be off, but something like that.

You are forgetting that you keep the original chips from the win. Ie. If red hits, they take your black, but leave your red promo chips on the board and provide $26 in real money chips.

Since the winnings get paid out in Real Money chips, put those in our pocket and keep using only promo chips.

• Like 2

Just now, -The-True-North- said:

You are forgetting that you keep the original chips from the win. Ie. If red hits, they take your black, but leave your red promo chips on the board and provide $26 in real money chips.

Since the winnings get paid out in Real Money chips, put those in our pocket and keep using only promo chips.

Are you sure you get the match chips back?  That's not the way it works in Vegas.  If so, you may be right that this is a good strategy.

Are you sure you get the match chips back?  That's not the way it works in Vegas.  If so, you may be right that this is a good strategy.

... It's the exact same in Vegas.

Just no one does it because you would actually LOSE $26 for nothing. Since you already put in real cash to start.

The reason you take the hit here is to convert it to real cash. 

• Like 2

Just now, -The-True-North- said:

... It's the exact same in Vegas.

Just no one does it because you would actually LOSE $26 for nothing. Since you already put in real cash to start.

The reason you take the hit here is to convert it to real cash. 

No, I meant for "match play" promotional chips in Vegas.  But this is moot, due to above.  Thanks for the info.

Also, why not just start off with $290 red, $290 black and $20 green?

Can do any domination you want, but you will need to do it multiple times.

With the above, you would still have $290 in promo credit. (Unless you hit green, in which case give the $20 promo chips as a tip).

You would have to take that and again split the remaining $290 over the 3. And repeat till you have 0.

On 11/5/2023 at 1:04 PM, CruisingWalter said:

I have used it to purchase some liquor in the Booty Free shop on the last night of the cruise, others have used it to purchase the hammocks when they have them in stock. You can put it towards any paid events on the ship which you can't book until you get on the WiFi. I did a Mezcal / Tequila tasting that was good, they have other paid events as well.

And the most overlooked thing on the ships, Afternoon Tea. It's one of the best of the mainstream cruise lines in the U.S. Well worth the prices. 

Can you use bar tab to purchase liquor in the Booty Free shop?