What constitutes a "good" breakfast buffet?

Rumncoke

Um... what are grits?

An American Southern grain dish. Kind of the consistency of stiff cream of wheat but with a different taste. Those of us who grew up on them tend to love them; others tend to back away from them.

If I can find coffee, fruit, a bagel, cream cheese and a little smoked salmon, I'm in heaven. Even in the NCL dining rooms with their magnificent breakfast menus, I usually end up ordering this.

An American Southern grain dish. Kind of the consistency of stiff cream of wheat but with a different taste. Those of us who grew up on them tend to love them; others tend to back away from them.

If I can find coffee, fruit, a bagel, cream cheese and a little smoked salmon, I'm in heaven. Even in the NCL dining rooms with their magnificent breakfast menus, I usually end up ordering this.

Definitely put me in the category of "backing away" ;).

Personally, I love the breakfast buffet. My only actual complaint would be that it ends too early at 10:30. And the french toast could certainly be improved upon.

Heh! It's all what you're used to, I guess. My first experience with poutine left me rather stunned!

I live in Quebec, and I still don't understand why anyone would want to ruin perfectly good french fries by dumping cheese curds on top of them! :eek:

I'm not very pleasant in the morning so I don't like to think about what I am eating. Because of this, I eat the same thing everyday whether I am on a cruise or not! I like a big bowl of oatmeal and a cup of yogurt. However, since the salt air cheers me up a bit- I have been known to add some bacon and FRESH fruit (when it's available!)

I think a breakfast buffet at night would be nice for those of us who like pancakes and eggs but can't eat them before noon. :D

Um... what are grits?

Hominy grits, or just plain grits, are an institution in the South, though they can be hard to find in northern states. Hominy is made from flint or dent corn,varieties with hard kernels that are dried on the cob then removed and soaked in a solution of baking soda, lime, or wood ash. This process causes the hulls to soften and swell. The kernels are then hulled and degermed using friction, then dried. Grits, coarse whitish grains, are ground from hominy, as is masa harina, the flour used to make corn tortillas :eek:

175cc9fa7aac6c64f7c0d0064fb65dec.jpg

Here are a few items I haven't seen mentioned here yet: Hot cocoa, a variety of types and flavors of yogurt, fresh fruit compote, a variety of types of bagels, warm maple syrup - not the thin imitation type, whipped cream, decorative butter pats, plenty of silverware, plenty of seating.

For me, these are the little extras that make a breakfast buffet excellent. I also heartily concur with the previously mentioned large glasses for juice, short lines, omelet and waffle stations, and variety of fresh fruit.

Nice idea for a thread.

Hominy grits, or just plain grits, are an institution in the South, though they can be hard to find in northern states. Hominy is made from flint or dent corn,varieties with hard kernels that are dried on the cob then removed and soaked in a solution of baking soda, lime, or wood ash. This process causes the hulls to soften and swell. The kernels are then hulled and degermed using friction, then dried. Grits, coarse whitish grains, are ground from hominy, as is masa harina, the flour used to make corn tortillas :eek:

175cc9fa7aac6c64f7c0d0064fb65dec.jpg

LOL and was that just on the tip of your tongue ? ;)

Cold Mimosa's with sparkling fresh champagne and only the best OJ!!

Pizza! Mexican Food!

Starbucks!!

I don't eat traditional breakfast food and sometimes wish there was a way to raid the leftovers from dinner!:p

My hubby can't live without his grits. He's a yankee but he's learned to eat southern cookin'. He just has a hard time figuring out why the grits are so soupy and tasteless on the cruises. (ALL the ships we've been on have offered grits) I won't give up my secrets for great grits...well maybe in exchange for a free cruise......

I just thought I'd throw this out...

What's missing in a breakfast buffet that would cause someone to call it just okay to horrible? What are you used to for breakfast that you can't get at a cruiseship buffet?

Curious.

:D LOLOL :D Boy, did you get a mouthful ;)

Good breakfast buffet: it's pretty basic: a choice of fish with lox being at the top: made to order eggs, bacon, fried, not done in the micro; a good selecation of cereals and pastries for those who do not like the really good hot stuff and made to order waffles. The food has to be at the right temp to make it really good: let's not forget the really good ham and real hash browns which were just mentioned and the fresh flavorful coffee. Where does NCL fit in? always lox which makes me very happy; always an eggs made to order station and good bacon. The ham is down right awful; please NCL, do a better job. Also I don't think they have made to order waffles, or I haven't spotted them. Many say, NCL buffet breakfast are the same everyday: Dah, what more can you offer? As for coffee, I have rarely been on a cruise where the coffee is first class. All in all breakfast buffets on all mass marketed lines are about the same and very eatable, but prehaps not terribly memorable. NMnita

Excellent coffee with real half and half

freshly made bacon

sliced virginia ham

smoked salmon cream cheese and bagels

fresh berry mixture

fresh melon mixture

quality cheese board

freshly made waffles or pancakes

freshly made eggs and omelettes

grits

real home 'fries'

good yogurt

granola &/or wheat germ

seeds, nuts and dried fruit

selection of quality danish

toast

**a real bonus would be vegetarian sausage, polenta and a fresh juice bar

OK--now I'm hungry!!

Those of you who have had the opportunity to visit Britain and experience a proper English/Scottish/Irish breakfast, or the "full Monty" as we often refer to it, may understand the total disappointment that we Brits feel when we have breakfast and encounter what you Americans refer to as "Bacon". :p

The things that you call sausages that are served at breakfast are beyond belief ! High spiced mixtures of meat, crumbs and grisle that exercise Man's pre-evolutionary need to exercise one's appendix !

Every time, we have visited America whether on land or sea, we have found your breakfast tastes interesting to say the least. Your bacon is what we would regard as the cheapest and most unhealthy cut: Streaky bacon. That could be the reason why you fry it to a frazzle. I must admit that I found the bacon on the Dawn to be the best of its kind that I have tasted on our visits to the States, it was freshly cremated and melted in the mouth.

But what do you do with the rest of the bacon joints? We in the UK and Ireland expect the best cuts of bacon, maple cured, thick cut and fried or grilled quickly to preserve that delicious taste. It really does complement the taste of a nice runny fried egg and a lovely meaty butcher's sausage.

Also never once saw Black Pudding, White Pudding or Haggis.

Also, no porridge............ what more can I say.:)

There was also a previous thread about baked beans for breakfast, another serious omission on the breakfast buffet.

Also how can anyone eat cinnamon toast in the morning? The taste must last for ever.

I must admit that when we first visited the States, we were amazed at the diversity of the breakfast menu, but as we have got older we have moved to the opinion that more is not best.

However, despite everything I have said, I must admit that the Dawn Buffet seemed to cater for most people's taste. We would have tried the waiter restaurant buffet on the last morning, but your delightful Immigration Department put paid to those plans.:rolleyes:

The Great Outdoors...cant get better than Jose from the great outdoors fixing your omlete and sitting out in the sun as the world goes by. We loved the breakfast buffet every morning.

TOTALLY AGREE............

there is something special about being on holiday especially on a cruise and eating breakfast outside. A beautiful view is a bonus that is often afforded on a cruise.

When we get to eat breakfast ( well usually Brunch) outside in the garden at home it really reminds us of such pleasant times and makes you yearn for the next holiday.

All ships should have an outdoor eating area.

Those of you who have had the opportunity to visit Britain and experience a proper English/Scottish/Irish breakfast, or the "full Monty" as we often refer to it, may understand the total disappointment that we Brits feel when we have breakfast and encounter what you Americans refer to as "Bacon". :p

The things that you call sausages that are served at breakfast are beyond belief ! High spiced mixtures of meat, crumbs and grisle that exercise Man's pre-evolutionary need to exercise one's appendix !

Every time, we have visited America whether on land or sea, we have found your breakfast tastes interesting to say the least. Your bacon is what we would regard as the cheapest and most unhealthy cut: Streaky bacon. That could be the reason why you fry it to a frazzle. I must admit that I found the bacon on the Dawn to be the best of its kind that I have tasted on our visits to the States, it was freshly cremated and melted in the mouth.

But what do you do with the rest of the bacon joints? We in the UK and Ireland expect the best cuts of bacon, maple cured, thick cut and fried or grilled quickly to preserve that delicious taste. It really does complement the taste of a nice runny fried egg and a lovely meaty butcher's sausage.

Also never once saw Black Pudding, White Pudding or Haggis.

Also, no porridge............ what more can I say.:)

There was also a previous thread about baked beans for breakfast, another serious omission on the breakfast buffet.

Also how can anyone eat cinnamon toast in the morning? The taste must last for ever.

:rolleyes:

Tony, Tony, Tony, where do I begin? Runny egg and haggis? And you go on and on about our disgusting American breakfasts? Have you ever thought of what a pile of baked beans, a broiled tomato, and a black circle of mystery meat looks like to us first thing in the morning? How about white toast served in a toast holder for maximum cool-down effect?

YUCK.

Why don't you spare us the criticism of our breakfasts and move on to our beer. I'll drink mine room temp and you can drink yours cold and that way we can have a peaceful cultural exchange. Breakfast is too hot an issue.

I am gagging on your post, Tony!

To me a good breakfast buffet has something my kids will eat and keep them a little quiet so I can enjoy my breakfast. So when we were on the Star and they had the kids buffet with the muffins with frosting and sprinkles I knew my mornings were set! LOL;)

Carla - Why are you playing the "ugly American" and dumping on Tony?

I find this thread interesting because, if nothing else, it points out the different tastes and culinary habits of different people and regions and the challenges of coming up with a buffet that will please everyone. Breakfast is different in different parts of the US, let alone other countries. Some of the English breakfast choices do not appeal to me, but then grits and most hot cereals don't either.

The nice thing about a buffet is that if you see a dish that doesn't appeal to you, you move on until you find one that you do like.

Didn't he say they expect the best while our cuts are the cheapest and most unhealthy? Let's see... total disappointment... beyond belief...

Just joshing back at him!

"Ugly American"- wow. British tourists of course have never gotten a reputation for anything but the most reserved and cultured behavior- right?

1. GOOD COFFEE!!!!

Okay, now that I got that out of my system........

2. Grits

3. Corned Beef Hash

All the other standard breakfast foods, hot if it's supposed to be hot and cold if it is supposed to be cold and definately fresh.

just to let u know a proper scottish breakfast would include LOTS of following

Bacon full rashers (fried)

Egg x2 (fried)

Tattie scones (fried)

Black pudding Fried)

Square Sauage x2 (fried)

Links (sausages) (fried)

Toast with real butter:eek:

and to let you know carla black pudding is not a mystery meat its dried ox blood :D lurvy

oh and yes i know we have one of the highest rates of heart disease in the world but with a breakfast like this every mornng are u suprised

Archived