Advice around flight times

Ohana27

I’m new to Cunard, and have a few questions which I hope someone will be kind enough to answer.   We have booked on the 39 night Japan and Alaska in May and the TA has now advised us of flight times.   We arrive in Tokyo at 7:30 am, the day before the cruise and have been told that Cunard will provide the hotel.  Can anyone advise how this works?   We realise that we probably won’t have a room to check into, but based on UK time and travel time I don’t think I will be in any fit state to wander Tokyo until check in time.  

It’s a similar situation for the flight home.   We depart Vancouver at around 9pm.   If we are taken from the ship during morning disembarkation, does this mean we are expected to wait in departures with our luggage from morning until around 6pm when flight check in opens?  There is an excursion advertised on the website to book which will take you around Vancouver and then to the airport, working the timings if we booked this we would arrive at the airport at around 1pm, so still a five hour wait in departures.

Any advice or suggestions gratefully appreciated.

3 hours ago, Ohana27 said:

I’m new to Cunard, and have a few questions which I hope someone will be kind enough to answer.   We have booked on the 39 night Japan and Alaska in May and the TA has now advised us of flight times.   We arrive in Tokyo at 7:30 am, the day before the cruise and have been told that Cunard will provide the hotel.  Can anyone advise how this works?   We realise that we probably won’t have a room to check into, but based on UK time and travel time I don’t think I will be in any fit state to wander Tokyo until check in time.  

It’s a similar situation for the flight home.   We depart Vancouver at around 9pm.   If we are taken from the ship during morning disembarkation, does this mean we are expected to wait in departures with our luggage from morning until around 6pm when flight check in opens?  There is an excursion advertised on the website to book which will take you around Vancouver and then to the airport, working the timings if we booked this we would arrive at the airport at around 1pm, so still a five hour wait in departures.

Any advice or suggestions gratefully appreciated.

Only put up with the above once.  Never again.

On arrival one is usually taken to the hotel, given breakfast and refreshments, then sit around for hours waiting for check  in to open.

On departure, taken to the airport (direct or post short tour).  Then sit and wait for check in to open before going to the airport lounge.

Upgrade (via Cunard) to scheduled flights, where one can select a flight that better suits.  Prices are usually good.

Pay the upgrade immediately, as this will get one the flight locator when the airline opens, to select the desired seats.

For peace of mind, plus a more relaxed journey, fly out a day earlier or more days for being a tourist.  Cunard can schedule flights, but book one’s own hotels (direct) as much cheaper than Cunard.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Hotel
  • Like 1

If we arrive on an early flight, we’ve generally booked the hotel for the night before so we go straight to our room. We book our own hotels but it’s worth seeing if you can  do the same.

For departure, lounges are great and we get them as part of our flights, but  as an alternative  you could always see if you can book a day room at an airport hotel.

22 minutes ago, Ohana27 said:

Thank you both, I have now contacted the travel agent to see if there are alternatives flights

Additional

Tips.

If taking a pre-flight hotel look at https://airportr.com/en/ - Prices are very reasonable

They collect one’s checked luggage, from the pre flight Hotel or from home (if in catchment area shown on Airportr website).  They weigh, tag (identical to check in) and give tracking info., so one can visibly track (photos) one’s luggage.

Then one can just arrive at the airport and go straight to security.  No searching for a trolly, no dragging luggage into the airport, no check in shuffle queue and no check-in hassles.  
Take a look at their website-Simples..

Purchase any heavy weight toiletries (sunscreen etc) after airport security.  One could order online from Boots and collect from the Boots store inside Departures.

Airportr also have inbound luggage service-airport to door.  Also door to door.

Take a look on their website 

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo

1 hour ago, david63 said:

Hadn't heard of that service before but looking at their website it is, certainly UKwise, very limited both with airports and airlines.

Agree it has a limited number of Airlines and Airports (main airports only), but for the pax flying with/from, it’s service is ideal.  A service to keep in mind for the future.

Personally I would choose to spend the night in Vancouver and fly home at your leisure the next day - assuming there is a morning flight to the UK.

This past August - on Holland America - I did the Vancouver tour and airport transfer which got me to YVR around noon. My flight to Toronto was not until 10PM - this had to do with a connecting flight I needed to make in Toronto. If I had to do it again I would have overnighted in Vancouver.

The waiting around is beyond painful, and I would recommend getting a day room at the YVR Fairmont which slightly reduces the pain.

7 hours ago, RD64 said:

Personally I would choose to spend the night in Vancouver and fly home at your leisure the next day - assuming there is a morning flight to the UK.

This past August - on Holland America - I did the Vancouver tour and airport transfer which got me to YVR around noon. My flight to Toronto was not until 10PM - this had to do with a connecting flight I needed to make in Toronto. If I had to do it again I would have overnighted in Vancouver.

The waiting around is beyond painful, and I would recommend getting a day room at the YVR Fairmont which slightly reduces the pain.

Thank you, the Fairmont is a great idea, as it appears the only flight from Vancouver to LHR is at 20:55 (BA flights)

1 hour ago, Ohana27 said:

Thank you, the Fairmont is a great idea, as it appears the only flight from Vancouver to LHR is at 20:55 (BA flights)

Great idea…..Signup for immediate member benefits, The group values it’s members 😉

https://all.accor.com/loyalty-program/cards-status-benefits-details/index.en.shtml

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ohana27 said:

As I said, get a day room if you don't want a sightsee tour before purchasing a lounge pass, if they are available to purchase at YVR.

We have flown Air Canada in the past and I think it was an early evening flight. Might be still operating.

Edited by Victoria2

22 hours ago, david63 said:

Not sure about that - just had a look at them on Companies House and left me with an uneasy feeling

What about the entry concerned you?

I'm no expert on that site, but as far as I could see they don't seem to be behind in posting accounts. I've never used them and probably won't need their services. Just intrigued as to what you felt might be wrong.

17 minutes ago, D&N said:

What about the entry concerned you?

Frequent changing of directors, changing registered office several times, late with 2022 accounts, 2021 account showing massive loss.

Let's say that it is not a company that I would feel comfortable with handing my luggage over to.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, david63 said:

Frequent changing of directors, changing registered office several times, late with 2022 accounts, 2021 account showing massive loss.

Let's say that it is not a company that I would feel comfortable with handing my luggage over to.

One’s opinion is one’s opinion being based solely on accounts postings.
However, we, plus friends and family, have used for many years, including two this year and will continue to make future bookings without any concern.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo