Train in Skagway

kayehall

I am still confused as to the destinations of the train in Skagway.  The ships excursions are shorter than what Chilkoot offers.  Some need passports and others don't.  I understand that is because of crossing into Canada.  What exactly am I missing by doing a shorter ride from the cruise line?  How far into Canada do you go and is it worth the addtional cost?  Chilkoot is within 2 weeks of opening their 2024 schedule so I am trying to clarify which is better.  No matter which one, I have decide that train/bus combo is what we will do.  Thanks

The train offers a summit trip that brings you up, and then back, without leaving the train so you never "enter" Canada. Therefore, no passport required.

If you are doing a combo, you will need to enter Canada and have appropriate paperwork. Most of the busses go from Frasier (the border station is right there) in to Yukon. It's a pretty scenic trip. 

9 hours ago, kayehall said:

I am still confused as to the destinations of the train in Skagway. * * * What exactly am I missing by doing a shorter ride from the cruise line? How far into Canada do you go and is it worth the addtional cost?

An overview of the railroad: The White Pass and Yukon Route is the marketing name of three commonly-controlled railroad companies. First is the Pacific and Arctic Railway and Navigation Company, which consists of 20.4 miles of track within the state of Alaska, between Skagway and the border between Alaska and British Columbia, which is at "White Pass." Second is the British Columbia-Yukon Railway Company, which consists of the next 32.2 miles of track within the province of British Columbia, between the border between Alaska and British Columbia and the border between British Columbia and Yukon. Third is the British Yukon Railway Company, which consists of the last 58.1 miles of track within the territory of Yukon, between the border between British Columbia and Yukon and Whitehorse.

Most passenger trains operate between Skagway and White Pass, entirely within the state of Alaska, a distance of 20.4 miles. These trains operate on a round-trip basis (1 hour 20 minutes), meaning that the total distance traveled by railroad is 40.8 miles.

Two passenger trains operate daily between Skagway, Alaska, and Fraser, British Columbia, a distance of 27.7 miles. These trains operate on a one-way basis (1 hour 30 minutes), with passengers typically traveling by bus in the opposite direction (unless they happen to purchase two one-way tickets). These trains also serve passengers at the intermediate stations of Denver, Alaska, and Glacier, Alaska.

One passenger train operates five days per week between Skagway, Alaska, and Carcross, Yukon, a distance of 67.5 miles. These trains operate on a one-way basis (4 hours 45 minutes), with passengers typically traveling by bus in the opposite direction (unless they happen to purchase two one-way tickets). This train also serves passengers at the intermediate station of Bennett, British Columbia.

The railroad track between Carcross, Yukon, and Whitehorse, Yukon, a distance of 43.2 miles, is presently out-of-service, and it appears unlikely that this segment will ever see railroad service restored. Passengers to and from Whitehorse are transported by a bus that travels from Skagway, through Fraser and Carcoss, to Whitehorse, and return. Passengers may elect to travel by railroad between Skagway and Fraser, or between Skagway and Carcross, and by bus between either Fraser or Carcross and Whitehorse; or travel the entire distance between Skagway and Whitehorse by bus.

Generally, most people regard the portion of the trip between Skagway and White Pass to be the most scenic, and all trains do travel this portion in its entirety. Most of the independent tour operators book space on the trains to and from Fraser. Railroad enthusiasts will want typically want to travel as much of the railroad as possible, and will be drawn to the trains to and from Carcross. Although most passengers consider the entire route to be scenic, including the portion beyond White Pass, many persons not being rail enthusiasts may tire of a train trip longer than to Fraser.

Choose the round-trip to White Pass if you want a train ride and nothing more. This is the trip that the cruise lines offer to their passengers, and the cruise lines may not offer their passengers any other options. Choose a one-way to or from Fraser for most tours that involve a train ride as an element among other activities (or more accurately, the tour operator will "choose" a one-way to or from Fraser). Choose a one-way to or from Carcross for certain tours or if you're a rail enthusiast (or if a real enthusiast, buy two one-way tickets, one from Skagway to Carcross, and another from Carcross to Skagway, but this is available on a single day only on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays).

Whilte this is a relatively long description, hopefully it is sufficiently comprehensive--and without the sales hype that typically accompanies trip descriptions--so that you and others can make a wise decision as to what suits you best.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 8

4 hours ago, kayehall said:

Thank you so much!!! My husband wants to take the cheapest one but I want to see  what's out there.

I am a transport enthusiast, so I would want to travel on as much of the railroad as possible. But for those who are not, and who only want to get a flavor of the railroad, then buying the cheapest ticket makes sense. And if you're looking to see as many distinct things as possible, then you also want to keep in mind that this railroad travels only a small portion, and if you limit your railroad trip to a small amount, with the remaining part of your time you can see other things as well. In sum it is hard for me to tell you the "correct" answer to your question . . . other than to say that the "wrong" answer is remaining in your stateroom for the duration of the port call!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, kayehall said:

Thank you so much!!!  My husband wants to take the cheapest one but I want to see  what's out there.  This will probably be our only trip to Alaska and I want to make the most of it!!!

Never say never! We cruised Alaska last year and we’re so impressed that we’re seriously considering returning in 2025. And we live in Australia! 😱

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

Never say never! We cruised Alaska last year and we’re so impressed that we’re seriously considering returning in 2025. And we live in Australia! 😱

I had a free cruise. We choose Alaska because "I would never pay to go there". Well - I would rather go there than the Caribbean and have returned many, many times since. I can't think the last time I have been to the Caribbean.

• Like 2

On 11/16/2023 at 8:43 PM, GTJ said:

An overview of the railroad: The White Pass and Yukon Route is the marketing name of three commonly-controlled railroad companies. First is the Pacific and Arctic Railway and Navigation Company, which consists of 20.4 miles of track within the state of Alaska, between Skagway and the border between Alaska and British Columbia, which is at "White Pass." Second is the British Columbia-Yukon Railway Company, which consists of the next 32.2 miles of track within the province of British Columbia, between the border between Alaska and British Columbia and the border between British Columbia and Yukon. Third is the British Yukon Railway Company, which consists of the last 58.1 miles of track within the territory of Yukon, between the border between British Columbia and Yukon and Whitehorse.

Most passenger trains operate between Skagway and White Pass, entirely within the state of Alaska, a distance of 20.4 miles. These trains operate on a round-trip basis (1 hour 20 minutes), meaning that the total distance traveled by railroad is 40.8 miles.

Two passenger trains operate daily between Skagway, Alaska, and Fraser, British Columbia, a distance of 27.7 miles. These trains operate on a one-way basis (1 hour 30 minutes), with passengers typically traveling by bus in the opposite direction (unless they happen to purchase two one-way tickets). These trains also serve passengers at the intermediate stations of Denver, Alaska, and Glacier, Alaska.

One passenger train operates five days per week between Skagway, Alaska, and Carcross, Yukon, a distance of 67.5 miles. These trains operate on a one-way basis (4 hours 45 minutes), with passengers typically traveling by bus in the opposite direction (unless they happen to purchase two one-way tickets). This train also serves passengers at the intermediate station of Bennett, British Columbia.

The railroad track between Carcross, Yukon, and Whitehorse, Yukon, a distance of 43.2 miles, is presently out-of-service, and it appears unlikely that this segment will ever see railroad service restored. Passengers to and from Whitehorse are transported by a bus that travels from Skagway, through Fraser and Carcoss, to Whitehorse, and return. Passengers may elect to travel by railroad between Skagway and Fraser, or between Skagway and Carcross, and by bus between either Fraser or Carcross and Whitehorse; or travel the entire distance between Skagway and Whitehorse by bus.

Generally, most people regard the portion of the trip between Skagway and White Pass to be the most scenic, and all trains do travel this portion in its entirety. Most of the independent tour operators book space on the trains to and from Fraser. Railroad enthusiasts will want typically want to travel as much of the railroad as possible, and will be drawn to the trains to and from Carcross. Although most passengers consider the entire route to be scenic, including the portion beyond White Pass, many persons not being rail enthusiasts may tire of a train trip longer than to Fraser.

Choose the round-trip to White Pass if you want a train ride and nothing more. This is the trip that the cruise lines offer to their passengers, and the cruise lines may not offer their passengers any other options. Choose a one-way to or from Fraser for most tours that involve a train ride as an element among other activities (or more accurately, the tour operator will "choose" a one-way to or from Fraser). Choose a one-way to or from Carcross for certain tours or if you're a rail enthusiast (or if a real enthusiast, buy two one-way tickets, one from Skagway to Carcross, and another from Carcross to Skagway, but this is available on a single day only on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays).

Whilte this is a relatively long description, hopefully it is sufficiently comprehensive--and without the sales hype that typically accompanies trip descriptions--so that you and others can make a wise decision as to what suits you best.

THANK YOU GTJ - quite a bit of info to digest. I know I do not want White Pass only, debating on other options. 
@kayehall, I question that also.  We looked at doing the full day trip to Bennett Lake but now question if that is too much

• Like 1

On 11/18/2023 at 8:37 AM, kayehall said:

Is Bennett Lake a must see or should we just turn around in Fraser?

By definition, not a "must see" because most railroad passengers turn-back at White Pass. It is a scenic lake. Hard to say if worthwhile or not. Bennett station is accessible only by railroad or hiking, so that might influence the decision.

The railroad timetable for the trip to Bennett and Carcross is as follows (times are both local and approximate: note local time is one hour later in Canada).

Skagway depart 7:45 a.m. Tu We Th Fr Su

Bennett arrive 11:15 a.m., depart 12:00 noon

Carcross arrive 1:30 p.m.

Carcross depart 2:00 p.m. Mo Tu We Th Sa

Bennett arrive 3:30 p.m., depart 4:15 p.m.

Skagway arrive 5:45 p.m.

The railroad timetable for the trip to Fraser is as follows (times are both local and approximate: note local time is one hour later in Canada).

Skagway depart 7:40 a.m., 12:40 p.m. daily

Denver 8:10 a.m., 1:10 p.m.

Glacier 8:45 a.m., 1:45 p.m.

Fraser arrive 10:15 a.m., 2:15 p.m.

Fraser depart 11:45 a.m., 4:35 p.m. daily

Glacier 11:15 a.m., 4:05 p.m.

Denver 11:50 a.m., 4:40 p.m.

Skagway arrive 12:20 p.m., 5:10 p.m.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tobes said:

I was also comparing the cruise (Celebrity) excursions with Chilkoot but Celebrity just sent an email with Black Friday 50% off excursions so that sealed the deal for me. 👍😎

Which one did you choose?

Skagway is a great port, especially when you go to the Yukon.  Chilkoot does a great job with a shuttle to Carcross, a hearty lunch and then back by train from Fraser.  If your timing allows it, do all  you can to see the beautiful countryside.  What month are you sailing?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, scvgirl said:

Skagway is a great port, especially when you go to the Yukon.  Chilkoot does a great job with a shuttle to Carcross, a hearty lunch and then back by train from Fraser.  If your timing allows it, do all  you can to see the beautiful countryside.  What month are you sailing?

End of June 2024.  

OK, this is totally my last questions about 'the train"!!!!  I have narrowed it down to 2 choices

1. Celebrity excursion train/bus combo to White Pass

2. Chilkoot excursion train/bus combo to Fraser

Is it worth the extra money to go to Fraser?  Is it scenic between White Pass Summit and Fraser?  Am I missing anything by not going all the way to Fraser?

Do the people that purchase thru Celebrity get to board the train before the people that book thru Chilkoot?  And why?

Thank you all for your expertise and patience!!!!

2 hours ago, kayehall said:

OK, this is totally my last questions about 'the train"!!!!  I have narrowed it down to 2 choices

Is it worth the extra money to go to Fraser?  Is it scenic between White Pass Summit and Fraser?  Am I missing anything by not going all the way to Fraser?

Do the people that purchase thru Celebrity get to board the train before the people that book thru Chilkoot?  And why?

Thank you all for your expertise and patience!!!!

I would do Chilkoot as you get a large van as opposed to a bus. Less people getting off and on wasting time.

The cruise lines (and Chilkoot) have dedicated cars. So if you are with the cruise line, as one car fills up, people go to the next car, etc... Chilkoot will have a car for the people on their tour. So it doesn't matter who you book with as far as train.

I would do an all day tour.  I would probably do this one: https://chilkootcharters.com/yukon-rail-bus/ 

or this one: https://chilkootcharters.com/bennett-scenic-journey/ 

Most ships are in Skagway all day so you have time to see Skagway after.

Edited by Coral

I agree with Coral.  Do an all day tour with Chilkoot.  We have used them twice before and had a very nice time.  Note that sometimes it can be cloudy and rainy in Skagway, but as you drive or rail to the Yukon, the sun and blue skies usually appear.  At least it did for us on 3 of our visits.

10 hours ago, kayehall said:

Hopefully I can make additional commentary clear. The distance between White Pass and Fraser is minimal, only 7.3 miles. (Actually, the loop for White Pass station is one mile into Canada, so the distance between the White Pass loop and Fraser is closer to 6.3 miles). In other words, they are virtually the same destination. Nothing significant missed by going only to White Pass instead of Fraser.

White Pass station consists solely of a turn-around loop. There is no station building, nor is there a station platform. It is removed from the parallel highway. All trains destined for White Pass are round-trip, no passengers board or alight at White Pass, and no buses can access the station. Fraser station has a station building and a station platform. It is immediately adjacent to the highway and Canadian immigration and customs, and it has a parking lot where buses can meet arriving and departing trains. Nearly all passengers on trains originating or terminating at Fraser board or alight at the station.

There are NO train/bus combinations to or from White Pass. All White Pass train trips are round-trip. Nearly ALL train/bus combinations are to or from Fraser (some train/bus combinations are to or from Carcoss). All Fraser train trips are one-way (unless one has specifically purchased two one-way railroad tickets). The additional mileage between White Pass and Fraser is negligible to all except the most ardent railfans. The reason to go to White Pass is so that one can ride the train round-trip and not a train/bus combination. The reason to go to Fraser is so that one ride the train only one-way and in combination with a bus ride.

There is no Celebrity excursion train/bus combination to White Pass. It is possible that the Celebrity marketing people are misrepresenting the excursion if it is being advertised as such. It is likely that Celebrity is offering a train/bus combination, with train one-way between Skagway and Fraser--which train passes through White Pass station without stopping--and a bus in the opposite direction. In other words, the same train/bus combination being offered by Chilkoot Tours (though possibly with a different bus portion itinerary).

12 hours ago, kayehall said:

Typically, the train to Fraser has boarded passengers in Skagway on the siding between 11th Avenue and 12th Avenue, alongside a staging area where buses from the cruise vessels and the WP&Y station bring passengers. While I have not systematically observed how passengers board the train, I would anticipate that, as buses arrive, passengers from each bus would board the train. I suppose if boarding the train first is important one could walk to the boarding location in advance, and wait for the train to be spotted. From a general perspective, it does not really matter when one boards the train because all the cars are connected, and the entire train departs at once, regardless of when any particular passenger boarded. From a railfan's perspective, there might be a desire to travel in a particular car, perhaps based on its history (I would rather travel on a real historic car rather than a modern replica), so having a fleet roster in hand and being at the station when the train is spotted might be best for fulfilling that desire.

Celebrity has "white Pass Railway and Klondike Highway Journey".  The description is....step back in time as you board a vintage car and retrace the original route up to Yukon's White Pass Summitt.  Upon arrival at the summitt, you will board a motorcoach for a narrated tour back to Skagway.  Tour is 3hr/15min.  

Now as of yesterday, Chilkoot had a price increase.  Bennett train now $265, Yukon Rail now $230 and White Pass Summit now $160.  And Celebrity has a black Friday deal for the above description $106.99.  I think the price is going to override the desire to go farther than the summit.

Thanks for all your insight and patience.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kayehall said:

Celebrity has "white Pass Railway and Klondike Highway Journey".  The description is....step back in time as you board a vintage car and retrace the original route up to Yukon's White Pass Summitt.  Upon arrival at the summitt, you will board a motorcoach for a narrated tour back to Skagway.  Tour is 3hr/15min.  

Now as of yesterday, Chilkoot had a price increase.  Bennett train now $265, Yukon Rail now $230 and White Pass Summit now $160.  And Celebrity has a black Friday deal for the above description $106.99.  I think the price is going to override the desire to go farther than the summit.

Thanks for all your insight and patience.

Go farther! The best scenery is farther than Celebrity will go. Honestly. You are going all the way to the area, don’t skimp on this tour.

• Like 1

I have opted for the Chilkoot Charters Lake Bennett one.  Most train time, but also the furthest into the Yukon and get to see Emerald Lake.  I like to do photography, so the photos I have seen of Emerald lake look cool.

Another bonus is that it is $50 pp cheaper than the equivalent on Holland America.  Second Bonus is Chilkoot has smaller busses than the motorcoaches the cruise lines use.

Now, if you are in Skagway on June 19th, I recommend another option :classic_tongue:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kayehall said:

Celebrity has "white Pass Railway and Klondike Highway Journey". The description is....step back in time as you board a vintage car and retrace the original route up to Yukon's White Pass Summitt. Upon arrival at the summitt, you will board a motorcoach for a narrated tour back to Skagway. Tour is 3hr/15min.

Typical bad copy from marketing people.(1) While the railroad does have a few vintage cars, most cars used for passenger service are modern, built between 1992 and 2020. Traditional designs were used in their manufacture, but most are not vintage cars. (2) The original route is not used. The photograph below, at "Gulch," shows an abandoned trestle on the original route, and a passenger train on the modern route. (3) No one will depart the train at White Pass station. No buses will travel to White Pass station. This excursion goes to Fraser, where passengers will transfer between train and bus (or vice versa). Train ride is 1 hour 30 minutes. Transfer between train and bus, plus immigration and customs inspection, will take 15 to 30 minutes. Bus ride is as quick as one hour, but some stops will probably extend the journey. Anything received from marketing or sales people should be treated as suspect. Best to rely on real information from operating people.

The Black Friday special seems to be the best value on pricing. If price is a substantial concern, and you just want a "train ride," then go for the shorter journey. If you're a railfan, you will want to do the longer journey, regardless of price.

WR05.jpg