Two more flight questions

jjs217

1)  The particular cruise I booked comes with international business class.  At what point can I request an upgrade to domestic first class on US segments?

2)  My husband and I like to have at least 2 1/2 hours connection at large airports and international airports.  When our flights are assigned, if we are uncomfortable with the connections, am I allowed to ask for a re-booking?  If so, to whom do I make the request?

We normally book our own flights for cruises, but this particular one is different.  Also, I booked through Silversea, not a TA.

Thanks for any help.

You will be talking to your Silversea agent for your flight requests.  There is no direct communication with their flight group.

Depending upon the airline, you can deal with them re upgrades as soon as you get your record locators from Silversea. 

1 hour ago, jjs217 said:

1)  The particular cruise I booked comes with international business class.  At what point can I request an upgrade to domestic first class on US segments?

2)  My husband and I like to have at least 2 1/2 hours connection at large airports and international airports.  When our flights are assigned, if we are uncomfortable with the connections, am I allowed to ask for a re-booking?  If so, to whom do I make the request?

We normally book our own flights for cruises, but this particular one is different.  Also, I booked through Silversea, not a TA.

Thanks for any help.

Since you have the business class upgrade already the domestic legs of your trip will put you in first class (unless you SS puts you on an airline that doesn't have it, but that is very rare).

Do keep checking your Silversea account, so you can see when flights have been selected and contact your SS rep to request changes as needed.  I, too, like to avoid short connections.

44 minutes ago, mchell810 said:

Since you have the business class upgrade already the domestic legs of your trip will put you in first class (unless you SS puts you on an airline that doesn't have it, but that is very rare)

I dont want to be adversarial, but this is not always the case.  The ""included "biz class upgrade does not guaranty a first class seat on domestic legs when booking with Silversea air.  I understand that under normal circumstances an individual passenger booking a biz class ticket for long haul scores a first class seat for the domestic legs, but the cruise lines have bulk fare arrangements with the airlines and the rules and procedures are a bit different.  It can go wither way, enquire with your Silversea agent. 

• Like 3

So SS T&C only guarantee biz class upgrades on International flights.  Canada and Mexico/Central America are not considered international for flights even on domestic bok it yourself airlines.  However, I have neve not received first class on our domestic routes.  We are flying San Antonio to Atlanta to Santiago Chile on Monday and our SAT-ATL ticket is first class as well as the return.

• Like 1

This particular cruise includes international business - no upgrade required.  It is doing the Kimberly Coast from Perth (Fremantle) to Darwin.  That is why I was thinking that first class domestic wouldn't be automatic.

On 11/26/2023 at 4:08 PM, jjs217 said:

This particular cruise includes international business - no upgrade required.  It is doing the Kimberly Coast from Perth (Fremantle) to Darwin.  That is why I was thinking that first class domestic wouldn't be automatic.

In Australian, domestic aircraft have economy and business classes.  You don’t say where you are flying from/to in Australia?  Sydney to Perth with Qantas could be a B737 with 12 (three rows 2x2) business class seats that are more like premium economy.  An A330 will have business class capsule type seats.  Darwin to Sydney could be the same choices.  The business class seats will give you access to the the business class lounges at all airports.

If you are flying Virgin, they only have B737s.

6 minutes ago, Port Power said:

In Australian, domestic aircraft have economy and business classes.  You don’t say where you are flying from/to in Australia?  Sydney to Perth with Qantas could be a B737 with 12 (three rows 2x2) business class seats that are more like premium economy.  An A330 will have business class capsule type seats.  Darwin to Sydney could be the same choices.  The business class seats will give you access to the the business class lounges at all airports.

If you are flying Virgin, they only have B737s.

I don't have our flights yet; it is still too early.  That is why I was asking when do I put in for a domestic upgrade, even if it means paying extra.  Domestic could be from city to city within the US, or city to city within Australia.  

5 hours ago, jjs217 said:

I don't have our flights yet; it is still too early.  That is why I was asking when do I put in for a domestic upgrade, even if it means paying extra.  Domestic could be from city to city within the US, or city to city within Australia.  

I haven't been able to discern whether it is per airline or in addition varies with your FF status within an airline, but...

As noted before, push your SS agent for a record locator as soon as it is available, then start working with your airline.  It may be that they'll balk until the seats are actually purchased/ticketed by SS (that's one vaiable), which could happen at any time, but seems (in my very limited experience) to occur 90-120 days out (that's the other).

6 hours ago, jjs217 said:

You cannot do anything until you have the record locator.  From various other threads on this subject, that might only become available a matter of weeks before the flights.  Silversea has the ability to hold seats for a long time.  However,  when you go into “manager my booking” you will see the flight details are there.  That will give you the information you are after about class of flight.  You cannot make any adjustments or seat selection until they seats are actually ticketed.

36 minutes ago, Port Power said:

You cannot do anything until you have the record locator.  From various other threads on this subject, that might only become available a matter of weeks before the flights.  Silversea has the ability to hold seats for a long time.  However,  when you go into “manager my booking” you will see the flight details are there.  That will give you the information you are after about class of flight.  You cannot make any adjustments or seat selection until they seats are actually ticketed.

Thank you so much.  That makes sense.  

On flights I have booked through Silversea, only American would not allow me to change seat assignments until ticketed. With British Airways and Delta I have always been able to change seat assignments to my preferred seats with the record locator even before the flights were ticketed. I have always been able to get the record locator after the flights are booked, either because it has been provided in My.Silversea or by logging into the airlines website with my frequent flyer number and going to find my trip. Sometimes requires some work. I am not a TA but have been involved with travel throughout my career. 

• Like 1