Has anyone done a Man from Snowy River Tour?

I'm doing some research for a tentative cruise in 2025.  The cruise ends in Melbourne, and part of our planning discussion was about trying to see the area/s from the movie The Man from Snowy River.  Has anyone done a similar day trip or a few days trip based on this?  I have found (via google) at least one company that does something along these lines.  One was a horse adventure, another a long day trip.  I appreciate any info the lovely Aussies in this forum could pass along. 

5 hours ago, dreams_of_travel said:

I'm doing some research for a tentative cruise in 2025.  The cruise ends in Melbourne, and part of our planning discussion was about trying to see the area/s from the movie The Man from Snowy River.  Has anyone done a similar day trip or a few days trip based on this?  I have found (via google) at least one company that does something along these lines.  One was a horse adventure, another a long day trip.  I appreciate any info the lovely Aussies in this forum could pass along. 

I would suggest you post this on the Australia and New Zealand Cruisers board as well. The movie actually wasn't filmed around the Snowy River but in the Victorian High Country around Mansfield.

I just had a quick look and most of the tours I found actually start from Mansfield. So you may have to find your own way there.

Edited by possum52
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, dreams_of_travel said:

If you search for Lovick's High Country Adventures on Facebook (I can't link it from my phone) - they are the family who were the horsemasters & stuntmen riders on both films and they have been doing trail rides to the film locations up in Merrijig and Mansfield for decades. 

• Like 1

Thank you @possum52 for that info.  I obviously need to do some more research.

@beatleman  Good info.  I had no idea about getting to that location.  Will have to work out the details. Or go with another tour plan instead of this subject.

@PerfectlyPerth I think I had found that about the horse touring, but I'm not sure that would work for me.  Love horses, but not as fit as I used to be.  I will see if they offer another tour option. But of course as mentioned above getting to Mansfield could be an issue.

I posted the question, and got great info back.  Now to keep researching.  Thank you!

• Like 1

Mansfield is simple to get to. It's not exactly the outback. Victoria is a tiny state. (I'm ex West Aussie where a day trip to visit a parent is an 8 hour drive). 
It's under 3 hours on highways if you rent a car. Some twisty windy bits closer to destination. 

Or a twice daily coach trip from Melbourne. 
https://www.vline.com.au/Plan-trip-buy-tickets?from=Melbourne%2c+Southern+Cross&to=Mansfield&date=07%2f12%2f2023&journeypref=Fastest&tformat=24&otimes=mor;aft;eve&rtimes=mor;aft;eve&transportmode=Train|Coach&maxtransfertime=240

• Thanks 1