Embarkation without cabin mates?

DaisyPop32

I am getting on Iona at Southampton next week and there are 9 of us in 4 cabins. My grandparents (80s) are staying in a cabin with my uncle and cousin - but uncle/cousin aren’t getting there for their boarding time (12:45), don’t know what time they’ll be able to get there yet and aren’t travelling in a way that is accessible for my grandparents. My grandparents will be coming with me & my partner who have a boarding time of 2pm due to this.

We will drive down earlier at 1pm and drop their cases off for them and wait for our boarding time but my question is can my grandparents board without my uncle & cousin if they’re in the same cabin, then my uncle/cousin embark later? Or do they have to sit with us and wait until they arrive?

They don’t require any assistance on board to confirm - it’s just getting them there and pointing them in the right direction! 

27 minutes ago, DaisyPop32 said:

I am getting on Iona at Southampton next week and there are 9 of us in 4 cabins. My grandparents (80s) are staying in a cabin with my uncle and cousin - but uncle/cousin aren’t getting there for their boarding time (12:45), don’t know what time they’ll be able to get there yet and aren’t travelling in a way that is accessible for my grandparents. My grandparents will be coming with me & my partner who have a boarding time of 2pm due to this.

We will drive down earlier at 1pm and drop their cases off for them and wait for our boarding time but my question is can my grandparents board without my uncle & cousin if they’re in the same cabin, then my uncle/cousin embark later? Or do they have to sit with us and wait until they arrive?

They don’t require any assistance on board to confirm - it’s just getting them there and pointing them in the right direction! 

Your grandparents can board without your uncle and cousin, they will be able to board at their allocated boarding time. They will be able to go to their cabin once it is announced that cabins are ready.

I don't see any reason why there should be a problem as check in is effectively done on a passenger by passenger basis and not by cabin and is even less of a problem now cruise cards are waiting at the cabin and not issued at check in. I would just mention that there are only the two of them now and the others will be along later when checking in.

Also be aware that P&O are now strict on arrival times and if early may have to wait outside the terminal.

59 minutes ago, david63 said:

I don't see any reason why there should be a problem as check in is effectively done on a passenger by passenger basis and not by cabin and is even less of a problem now cruise cards are waiting at the cabin and not issued at check in. I would just mention that there are only the two of them now and the others will be along later when checking in.

Also be aware that P&O are now strict on arrival times and if early may have to wait outside the terminal.

Thank you so much for this! I did think so but didn’t want to get there and find out we had to wait in the cold with them whilst waiting for other family members. 

Yes a pain for us to wait for an hour or so but we have done Iona a few times and they haven’t, so they’re adamant they want to be there for their check in time so they can get on board. Hoping to drop all cases off and head back to the car to stay warm! This means at least we don’t have to carry on waiting and can get on for 2pm as well. 

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

Your grandparents can board without your uncle and cousin, they will be able to board at their allocated boarding time. They will be able to go to their cabin once it is announced that cabins are ready.

Great news, not too worried about them when they’re on board at least as they can potter about at their leisure, just needed to get them to the port, find & lift their suitcases onto the belt for them if required and get them inside the terminal! 

• Like 1

I just want to double check....

Some cruises charge more than double for single occupancy. If it were the case that you can check in separately, would people not just be booking a room for 2 and just saying the other person didn't make it?

1 minute ago, amurray88 said:

Some cruises charge more than double for single occupancy. If it were the case that you can check in separately, would people not just be booking a room for 2 and just saying the other person didn't make it?

I have heard this actually happens? and in all honesty that is what I would do if travelling alone with a +100% supplement. People meet up onboard who share cabins, we have met several over the years. It may be that they are travelling from different parts of the country or by buses etc or have different loyalty thus boarding times.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, amurray88 said:

Considered doing this once with Celebrity. In the end just stopped using them! 

2 hours ago, amurray88 said:

I don’t know any line that charges more than 200%. P&O and Cunard as standard charge 175% but they occasionally have specially offers on late bookings where there is lots of capacity. Princess is 200% so would never sail with them on principal. 

On 12/3/2023 at 12:51 PM, sandancer said:

I think all the US cruise lines charge 200%. When NCL introduced single cabins on the Epic they were very popular as I understand the fare was the standard fare with no extra cost involved. 

From what I have seen, fares are higher...just not 200%.