Train from Naples to Rome

mthomp5

We had booked a cruise (Barcelona to Rome) for September 2025. Just received notice yesterday that the cruise line has change the disembarkation port from Rome to Naples. One of the main reasons we booked this cruise was because it was ending in Rome and I was planning on spending a few days there. I’m considering on keeping the cruise (if I can’t find another line that has the same sailing around the same time) and taking the train from Naples to Rome. It sounds like it will take a little over an hour on the high-speed train.

Can anyone share any information with me on taking the train from Naples to Rome? For instance, what is the best way to get from the cruise ship terminal to the train station. Is there a safe place to store luggage on the train (Trenitalia or Italo)?

Thank you!

When all is said and done, it won't take any longer to get from Naples to Rome as it would from Civitavecchia and you'll have more train options to choose from.  The cruise port at Naples is separate from the ferry and cargo ports so it's easier to navigate than Civitavecchia.

The train service is pretty much the same between Trenitalia and Italo so I would make the decision based on which one gives you the best combination of pricing and time for your trip.  

On Trenitalia they use Frecciarossa trains on this route, there is sufficient luggage storage: FRECCIAROSSA run through the high-speed line with fast and frequent connections - Frecce - Trenitalia

The easiest route from the cruise port to Napoli Centrale train station is taxi, there will be plenty of them available just outside the cruise terminal building.  It's a short distance, less than 2 miles (3 km) on foot but one way streets and traffic make it a longer than expected trip by road, generally about 15 minutes.  There is a fixed fare system in Naples, the fare by taxi from the cruise port to Napoli Centrale station is just 13 euro, all inclusive.  To get this fare you must tell the driver you want it (la tariffa predeterminata) before the trip begins/before he engages the meter.

You could also take the Alibus from Molo Beverello (the ferry pier adjacent to the cruise port) to the train station for 5 euro each.  ANM Web Site

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you @euro cruiser! The info you provided is so helpful! It makes me feel a lot better about keeping this sailing. That is awesome that when all is said and done it won’t be any harder to get from Naples to Rome as it would be from Civitavecchia to Rome. I appreciate the tips you gave me about taking the fixed rate taxi from the cruise terminal to train station. I’ll remember that phrase: la tariffa predeterminata.

32 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Maybe stay overnight in Naples and visit Pompeii and/or Herculaneum if you have never visited the area previously?

Thank you for the idea! I have never been to Pompei before so this would be a good opportunity!

3 hours ago, mthomp5 said:

Thank you for the idea! I have never been to Pompei before so this would be a good opportunity!

There are many hotels in Naples close to the pier. You probably have early disembarkation.  You could leave your bags at the hotel and make your way to Pompeii and Herculaneum. They are both on the same Circumvesuviana train line. Have a nice evening in Naples. Next day you can take a train to Rome.

Better yet, if you stay an extra night in Naples, next day you can take the ferry to Capri (near the ship's pier) or go on an excursion of the Amalfi coast. All of these tours are ideal because you will not be pressed to be back on the ship by a certain time.

Make the most of this opportunity. 

Edited by marazul
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, marazul said:

There are many hotels in Naples close to the pier. You probably have early disembarkation.  You could leave your bags at the hotel and make your way to Pompeii and Herculaneum. They are both on the same Circumvesuviana train line. Have a nice evening in Naples. Next day you can take a train to Rome.

Better yet, if you stay an extra night in Naples, next day you can take the ferry to Capri (near the ship's pier) or go on an excursion of the Amalfi coast. All of these tours are ideal because you will not be pressed to be back on the ship by a certain time.

Make the most of this opportunity. 

Thank you for the wonderful ideas! Will definitely consider it!