Cruising in standard cabin with friends in Queens Grill

eqshadimar

Hello -

I have been asked to go on a cruise in Alaska on QE by some very good friends.  I would be traveling solo.  They have already booked in the Queens Grill which I cannot afford especially as a solo cruiser and apparently having to buy a suit or at very least a sport coat.  Other than dinning (I understand I cannot join them in the Queens Grill but we could eat together in all the other venues) are there any other major differences that would make this situation awkward?

6 hours ago, eqshadimar said:

Hello -

I have been asked to go on a cruise in Alaska on QE by some very good friends.  I would be traveling solo.  They have already booked in the Queens Grill which I cannot afford especially as a solo cruiser and apparently having to buy a suit or at very least a sport coat.  Other than dinning (I understand I cannot join them in the Queens Grill but we could eat together in all the other venues) are there any other major differences that would make this situation awkward?

No it’s the dining mainly that is exclusive but, you as you refer to you will still need to follow the Cunard dress code to eat in the Britannia Restaurant  or the other paid for restaurants. Other than the Grills lounge, terrace and lounge the rest of the ship is open to everyone. They would be able to join you in Britannia but you would need to check with M D first. 

Winifred 22 is right. There's no separate dress code between any of the restaurants, The Lido buffet excepted.

If you wanted to dine together, it's The Lido buffet, Britannia [prior arrangement and usually OK], The Verandah [a pay for extra] or any Lido pop ups [to pay for speciality dining at the end of The Lido].

They could order a meal for you together in their stateroom, Speak to the butler on board to arrange we did that with my mum a couple of times he sets it up really nicely. We took her in the grills lounge for afternoon tea  but then after a few days decided to dine in Britannia its just as good and the best dining room of all time in my opinion. We enjoyed inviting our new table mates into our grills cabin for a party One night too that the butler sets up..great fun!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, eqshadimar said:

Thank you all for the replies.  I will take the comments into consideration.

I would strongly recommend that you go for it eqshadimar. The Alaskan cruise on the QE will be an amazing adventure. Just understand that Dinner in QG is something special so let your friends know that you understand that. Then I would suggest that you request a table of 6 or 8 in the MDR. This way you will meet some wonderful people and have your own special time at dinner. When in Britannia Class, we always request a larger table and have made many great friends.  Find out what time your friends normally like to dine and then select early or late dining accordingly. Besides the restaurants mentioned in the above posts, don't forget the Golden Lion Pub, our favorite. Please let us know what you decide. 

Jack

• Like 1

On 12/5/2023 at 7:37 PM, eqshadimar said:

Hello -

What dates are your cruise? Make sure you sign up for too the CC Roll Call for your trip to meet others. I’ll be on June 21 Alaska voyage.