LIVE SIDE-BY-SIDE Celebrity Summit Retreat & Seascape Yacht Club 12/9-21/2023 ~ 1st MSC vs Farewell (?) X Suite Experience

Stem to Stern

17 hours ago, NE John said:

I like getting to know the service staff at the suite levels and they get to know us. That lack of consistent wait staff does not appeal to me. 

I agree.  It was a night and day difference between having the same core Luminae crew meal after meal from the Maitre D to the waiters to the sommelier vs. Yacht Club Restaurant’s revolving ensemble of team members.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Stem to Stern said:

I agree.  It was a night and day difference between having the same core Luminae crew meal after meal from the Maitre D to the waiters to the sommelier vs. Yacht Club Restaurant’s revolving ensemble of team members.

I’m sneaking over from the Cunard site and have been lucky enough to sail in the “Grills” suite category (Retreat level for Cunard) and like to compare different line experiences. I really enjoy getting to know the great crew that serves us and hear their stories and expect for the homemade Mozzarella onboard MSC, that line doesn’t hold much interest for me. Celebrity Line is a better comparison. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, CruisematicVA said:

Apologies if stated elsewhere, but what are "ussies"?

Ha ha!  

Ussie is a term I learned from my new cruise buddy.  

It is like a selfie, but with all of us.  

Get it?

@Ellesor826's DH takes really good ones!

Edited by Stem to Stern
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stem to Stern said:

Ha ha!  

Use is a term I learned from my new cruises buddy.  

It is like a selfie, but with all of us.  

Get it?

Ahhh, that's bordering on a dad joke 😝

I need to find a friend who is crazy about cruising as you found... My wife is happy to show up for the cruises like your DH, but she definitely doesn't share the same enthusiasm.

Maybe one of my kids will one day as they get older 🤔

• Like 1

On 12/9/2023 at 10:48 AM, DaKahuna said:

Yes,, but people who are sailing in the YC and posting says it's browse only.  I am prepared to pay to upgrade to Browse and Stream for our upcoming cruise.

I haven't made it through all 20 pages of posts yet, but it's 100% the slower Browse Internet in YC (vs the faster Browser & Stream).

We always pay to upgrade once we're onboard.

• Thanks 1

@Stem to Stern I'm only 7 pages in but want to ask a couple questions before I forget:

1) How was the breaded veal? It's an interesting dish and I could see it going either way...a home run or a total miss.

2) How busy was the gym? I had a good laugh on my last MSC cruise as they had round dumbbells and the seas were pretty rough, so you'd watch them rolling back and forth as the ship rocked 😆 They really should have gotten the hexagon dumbbells. (I think Celebrity has the round ones as well if I remember correctly)

• Like 1

On 12/11/2023 at 7:32 PM, CardowMD said:

Just an FYI regarding Maryland Crabcake on that menu…they should never have extra ingredients like fennel and other stuff they added. Just jumbo lump crab, maybe a couple crackers to act as binder, mayo to hold all of it together and voila!

Their crab cakes are also heavily breaded and crispy.

As a fellow Marylander, their crab cakes are nothing like Maryland crab cakes (FWIW, neither are Celebrity's though Eden does have a good one).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CruisematicVA said:

1) How was the breaded veal? It's an interesting dish and I could see it going either way...a home run or a total miss.

2) How busy was the gym?

The veal chop was good.  It was tender, juicy and tasted better than the presentation.  That was our first night in the Yacht Club Restaurant.  We dined with friends we had just met in the reserved YC seating in the theater.  When the dinner company is good, I tend to overlook culinary misses.  But I would not call the breaded veal chop a miss.

The gym did not look too busy the few times I passed by it on my way into the spa.

Edited by Stem to Stern

2 minutes ago, Stem to Stern said:

The veal chop was good.  It was tender, juicy and tasted better than the presentation.  That was our first night in the Yacht Club Restaurant.  We dined with friends we had just met in the reserved YC seating in the theater.  When the dinner company is good, I tend to overlook culinary misses.  But I would not call the breaded veal chop a miss.

The gym did not look too busy the few times I passed by it on my way into the spa.

Thanks!

I'm sailing YC twice in March... Once with my DW and kids, but the second time I'll be solo.

I've been considering going to the MDR instead of the YC for dinners because I know I can be seated with other solos there. Do you have any idea if I can be seated in the YC with other solos?

It's good to hear you were able to make friends to join for dinner! I'm pretty outgoing, so I'm hoping I'll make some friends to dine with as well.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CruisematicVA said:

Do you have any idea if I can be seated in the YC with other solos?

It's good to hear you were able to make friends to join for dinner! I'm pretty outgoing, so I'm hoping I'll make some friends to dine with as well.

I have no idea.  Our sailing did not seem to have too many solo cruisers in YC.  But it sounds like it will be easy for you to get acquainted with others in the Top Sail Lounge and find dining companions.  Maybe you can ask the YC Director on the first day about how many solo cruisers are in YC.  Have you joined the Cruise Critic roll call for your sailing?  This might be a good starting point for connecting with others.

Edited by Stem to Stern
  • Thanks 1

On 1/8/2024 at 8:21 AM, NE John said:

I’m sneaking over from the Cunard site and have been lucky enough to sail in the “Grills” suite category (Retreat level for Cunard) and like to compare different line experiences. I really enjoy getting to know the great crew that serves us and hear their stories and expect for the homemade Mozzarella onboard MSC, that line doesn’t hold much interest for me. Celebrity Line is a better comparison. 

We have two cruises booked in Queen's Grill.  Looking forward to see the differences and similarities.

• Like 1