LIVE SIDE-BY-SIDE Celebrity Summit Retreat & Seascape Yacht Club 12/9-21/2023 ~ 1st MSC vs Farewell (?) X Suite Experience

Stem to Stern

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Congrats on your first "Live from..." Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Live Cruise Reports page.. . When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

Stem to Stern was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Hello from Florida!  ☀️

I am Stem to Stern aka Paul. 😀

In just under 48 hours my DH and I are bringing our nearly yearlong cruise withdrawal to an end as we embark Celebrity Summit in Miami.

IMG_9134.thumb.jpeg.f32711eaaa3a5de602e2084e78e16493.jpeg

But wait.  
This is only a 5-night cruise?!?

That’s not long enough!!  

What can we do about this?  

Maybe a back-to-back?  

Maybe another ship?  

What is this Yacht Club that GenerationX was singing the praises of in a couple of her live trip reports earlier this year?  🤔😉

Let’s check it out….

My wish is that the board moderators will accept this Live on the Celebrity boards.  It truly is meant to be a fair and balanced comparison of X’s currently evolving Retreat Sky Suite experience with one potential alternative.

I promise to be fair without being overly critical unless an inferior experience on board either ship deserves to be called out for what it is. 😇

I am happy to answer any questions about either ship or either enclave experience.  Just ask away.  If anyone with prior experience on these ships cares to chime in, you are more than welcome to do so.  The more the merrier.

I will try to post a bunch of pics and try my best to keep this going as long as all of the on-board fun doesn’t get in the way.

A few pre-boarding posts will follow this one including a rather lengthy “About Us” post and a financials post.  Feel free to scroll on by these if you are not interested in our true-cruise-story or all the dollars and sense, but please come back on embarkation day (Saturday) and follow us to Miami for 7 nights of R & R in MSC Yacht Club on MSC Seascape followed by 5 more nights in The Retreat on Celebrity Summit.  Sorry we are not going to fancier, more exotic locales.  But hopefully we will all have fun just the same. 😁

Happy cruising!!🚢🤩🛟

• Like 20
  • Thanks 9

title says its a "first MSC vs ( ?) farewell X suite experience," so expectation is  the comparison will likely favor MSC

Summit is one of the older X ships..is Seascape comparable,?

note that Gen X has recently returned to X .. snd posted a great review

Edited by hcat
  • Like 4

Looking forward to your review.  We are long time Celebrity cruisers but with all the changes am looking else where.  Looked into MSC after Generation X’s review.  The Yacht Club sounded great until I found out all Gluten Free meals are chosen and made by MDR.  Why pay for Yacht Club if I have to eat MDR food.  Not that there is anything wrong with MDR food, just that I would pay more in Yacht Club that features different meals.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, bjahil47 said:

Looking forward to your review.  We are long time Celebrity cruisers but with all the changes am looking else where.  Looked into MSC after Generation X’s review.  The Yacht Club sounded great until I found out all Gluten Free meals are chosen and made by MDR.  Why pay for Yacht Club if I have to eat MDR food.  Not that there is anything wrong with MDR food, just that I would pay more in Yacht Club that features different meals.  

I suggest you read this review from someone who is GF and is currently sailing on MSC Divina in the YC -- apparently she's getting some delicious GF meals in the YC restaurant.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DaKahuna said:

I suggest you read this review from someone who is GF and is currently sailing on MSC Divina in the YC -- apparently she's getting some delicious GF meals in the YC restaurant.

Thanks for that info!  I was told the info about GF by the Restaurant Manager on the Divina!  

30 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Yes, but her review was critical of the Retreat experience.  

Retreat fell short of expectations but we are  waiting to see where she goes in the future. 

She was quite pampered on MSC..they know when  influencers with many followers are on their ships..!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

I've done PH, RS, & SS (and regular cabins) on Summit and MSC Yacht Club on Seashore 2X.  The food is far better on the Summit and the service more professional and polished.  I enjoyed Seashore, but their prices have risen along with everyone else's.  And I hate sailing out of Miami.  I'm just off 10 nights on Silhouette out of Fort Lauderdale.  The service and food were excellent (with the exception of the lobster mac & cheese at The Lawn Club which was absolutely dreadful).  And I was not in a suite this time.  I would never do that on MSC.  With them, it's Yacht Club or nothing.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143
  • Like 14

Just now, bjahil47 said:

Why pay for Yacht Club if I have to eat MDR food.

You definitely do not have to eat MDR food if you are GF on MSC YC. I'm on a transatlantic crossing with MSC right now. My server regularly checks with the YC chef to determine what menu items are GF and how other ones can be altered to be GF. If there are times when the YC items don't "excite" me, they will give me the MDR GF menu -- if I want it. I usually prefer YC items since the quality is so much better. (According to the YC staff, the food supplies they use in YC are not the same as MDR, so that makes a difference in the final product.)

Edited by Best Cat Mom
  • Like 6

Itineraries

Nothing Earth-shattering.  

(It is just an R & R cruise after all.)

Seascape

Sa Dec 9  - 6p -  depart Miami

Su Dec 10  -  7a-4p -  Nassau

Mo Dec 11  -  at sea

Tu Dec 12  -  10-5  - San Juan, PR

We Dec 13 - 10-6  -  Puerto Plata

Th Dec 14  -  at sea

Fri Dec 15  -  8a-8p -  Ocean Cay

Sa Dec 16  -  7a  -  arrive Miami

Summit

Sa Dec 16  -  4pm  -  depart Miami

Su Dec 17  -   at sea

Mo Dec 18  -  7-5  -  Cozumel

Tu Dec 19  -  at sea

We Dec 20  -  10-6  -  Nassau

Th Dec 21  -  7am  -  arrive Miami

At the time of booking the initial Seascape itinerary had us departing Miami at 5pm, departing Nassau at 2pm, and departing Ocean Cay at 10pm.  This minor itinerary adjustment is a small idiosyncrasy we haven’t previously encountered with Celebrity as far as I can remember.  

Our first day in Nassau has a forecasted high of only 80 degrees, so we may go for a walk to the John Watling’s Distillery just to warm up.   We plan on having a walk around Old San Juan on our own.

Puerto Plata and Ocean Cay are new for us.  I booked an excursion for Puerto Plata through the MSC cruise planner.  Their website did not permit me to use my available OBC, so I used a credit card. 

On Summit we have a decent OBC to burn, so I booked excursions in Cozumel and Nassau.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I've done PH, RS, & SS (and regular cabins) on Summit and MSC Yacht Club on Seashore 2X.  The food is far better on the Summit and the service more professional and polished.  I enjoyed Seashore, but their prices have risen along with everyone else's.  And I hate sailing out of Miami.  I'm just off 10 nights on Silhouette out of Fort Lauderdale.  The service and food were excellent (with the exception of the lobster mac & cheese at The Lawn Club which was absolutely dreadful).  And I was not in a suite this time.  I would never do that on MSC.  With them, it's Yacht Club or nothing.

So happy to hear you enjoyed Silho

Have not been on her in yrs but based on recent pos reviews, we booked a short criuse in Concierge Class for 2025..

Following…I board Apex on Saturday (BTW, who turned off the heat in Ft. Lauderdale… the natives are in coats and long pants)!
Have a great trip/s.  We can compare notes in April when we sail together on Silhouette.

Bon Voyage 

Susan 😎

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

The food is far better on the Summit and the service more professional and polished.

Summit has been receiving some stellar reviews. 

We had a great experience on her last time.

We are super-excited to be going back.

7 minutes ago, lola2013 said:

Following…I board Apex on Saturday (BTW, who turned off the heat in Ft. Lauderdale… the natives are in coats and long pants)!
Have a great trip/s.  We can compare notes in April when we sail together on Silhouette.

Bon Voyage 

Susan 😎

Hi Susan.  Thanks for following.  The weather will be a bit better tomorrow.  Our cool fronts often only last for a day.  Is your true departure time from Port Everglades 3:30 on Saturday?  Maybe our paths will cross on the water?

Bon Voyage to you as well.

I am also looking forward to your review. I am awaiting your opinion between Celebrity and MSC because I booked MSC YC for my annual cruise with the grandkids in Jan. 2025. I was originally booked with Celebrity but they canceled that cruise so I decided to give MSC a try. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, r2h2 said:

We will be joining you on the Summit sailing although we will be in Aqua class. Looking forward to the cruise!

Ah, yes.  Great to have you on the roll call and here.  Looking forward to meeting you both at our Cruise Critic Meet & Greet on Sunday, December 17 at 5:00pm in Cellar Masters.  If you see us around before then, stop and say hello.  By the way we really enjoyed our dinners in Blu last time we were on board Celebrity Summit.  We are looking forward to it as well.

• Like 1

I will be eagerly following along and love the idea of a real-time comparison between two different lines.  As a foodie, I will be especially interested to read about the food you enjoy in all venues on both ships. 

Please feel free to post any and all food pictures for those of us who are less fortunate and have to wait a few months before our next cruising adventure! 😉

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Stem to Stern said:

Itineraries

Nothing Earth-shattering.  

(It is just an R & R cruise after all.)

Seascape

Sa Dec 9  - 6p -  depart Miami

Su Dec 10  -  7a-4p -  Nassau

Mo Dec 11  -  at sea

Tu Dec 12  -  10-5  - San Juan, PR

We Dec 13 - 10-6  -  Puerto Plata

Th Dec 14  -  at sea

Fri Dec 15  -  8a-8p -  Ocean Cay

Sa Dec 16  -  7a  -  arrive Miami

Summit

Sa Dec 16  -  4pm  -  depart Miami

Su Dec 17  -   at sea

Mo Dec 18  -  7-5  -  Cozumel

Tu Dec 19  -  at sea

We Dec 20  -  10-6  -  Nassau

Th Dec 21  -  7am  -  arrive Miami

At the time of booking the initial Seascape itinerary had us departing Miami at 5pm, departing Nassau at 2pm, and departing Ocean Cay at 10pm.  This minor itinerary adjustment is a small idiosyncrasy we haven’t previously encountered with Celebrity as far as I can remember.  

Our first day in Nassau has a forecasted high of only 80 degrees, so we may go for a walk to the John Watling’s Distillery just to warm up.   We plan on having a walk around Old San Juan on our own.

Puerto Plata and Ocean Cay are new for us.  I booked an excursion for Puerto Plata through the MSC cruise planner.  Their website did not permit me to use my available OBC, so I used a credit card. 

On Summit we have a decent OBC to burn, so I booked excursions in Cozumel and Nassau.

What did you book in Puerto Plata?  That is the one port I would NOT book an excursion.  I have been to Puerto Plata for vacation for a week and wouldn't return most likely other than on a cruise.  They have a nice cruise port area with a large pool (actually only know about Taino Bay).  Can't wait to hear about the Seascape YC.  We go in February after returning from being on the Silhouette and making our way from FLL-Miami with a 2 nighter on South Beach.  I am really hoping I love MSC as I am VERY frustrated with Celebrity.

• Like 1

Have a great trip, will be following with interest. We are doing a side by side in September/ October 2024 12nts Accent then 7nts Yacht club on Seaview, Celebrity Accent will be our 34th Celebrity cruise but the Seaview will be our first MSC. 

Edited by di T
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Linda W. said:

What did you book in Puerto Plata?  That is the one port I would NOT book an excursion.  I have been to Puerto Plata for vacation for a week and wouldn't return most likely other than on a cruise.  They have a nice cruise port area with a large pool (actually only know about Taino Bay).  Can't wait to hear about the Seascape YC.  We go in February after returning from being on the Silhouette and making our way from FLL-Miami with a 2 nighter on South Beach.  I am really hoping I love MSC as I am VERY frustrated with Celebrity.

Booked Excursion:  POP29

Exploring Isabel de Torres Mountain & Puerto Plata City

4 hrs - $59pp

I have no idea what time the excursion starts.  I guess I will find out when I see the tickets in our suite on Saturday.

• Like 1