'Twas Two Weeks Before Christmas - Live from the Nieuw Statendam, Dec. 10 - 17, 2023

POA1

2 hours ago, POA1 said:

Good question. It wasn't heavily spiced and I only had small bite. The chicken gets marinated in lime juice with oil, garlic, cumin and oregano. This is done by the Marinator Society. It's finished so that it's got crispy skin.

I quite enjoyed the Peruvian Chicken when I had it last week. Very large portion (half chicken) so we shared it. Nice selection, Michelle!

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, POA1 said:

We had breakfast in the Club Orange Dining Room this morning and it was good. We were seated a few tables from @LAFFNVEGAS, but I didn't want to interrupt her meal and I figured I'll be meeting her soon in the Crow's Nest for the Meet & Greet.

@Huskerchick

We keep missing you. 😂😱

we stayed at the M and G for an hour. At one point Dobiemom aka Marcia yelled Brian and she git shhhed 😉

Next time you see us say Hi, no worries to interrupt.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, LAFFNVEGAS said:

We keep missing you. 😂😱

we stayed at the M and G for an hour. At one point Dobiemom aka Marcia yelled Brian and she git shhhed 😉

Next time you see us say Hi, no worries to interrupt.

I feel bad because I really wanted to meet everyone. I was just cluelessly working away in the room, killing time until 11:00. 🙄 The cookie trays were still full when I arrived - way beyond fashoonably late. There were a few people in conversation and I didn't want to interrupt. When they finally finished their conversation, I found out I was an hour late to the party.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

We had our traditional first sea day lunch in the Pinnacle Grill. Michelle started with the spinach and arugula salad. I opted for the crab cake appetizer.

spinach-arugula.jpg

crab-cakes.jpg

We both had the tenderloin, medium rare.

tenderloin.jpg

Dessert was the brownie with coffee ice cream for Michelle and the coconut trifle for me.

17023051545802.jpg

coconut-trifle.jpg

We went off the wine list for a LaTour Chardonnay for our first course. The entrée was paired with Beringer Knight's Valley Cabernet Sauvignon. Both are above the $15 Elite Beverage Package limit, but sometimes you gotta call an audible.

Edited by POA1
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

This afternoon we attended the Sommelier Wine tasting. It was held in the upper level MDR. We tasted 4 wines from the various wine packages. There was a Pinot Grigio, a rosé from Provence, a red blend from California, and an Argentinean malbec.

The wine director and three members of her sommelier staff gave the presentation. I learned something new. Each level of the MDR has its own sommelier. There's another somm who handles the PG & Rudi's.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

I did bring my scanner but there's no big, flat surface on which to scan. So, the Department of Scanning Things has the week off. I'll scan the daily programs once I'm safely ensconced back at Institute HQ.

• Like 4

Just now, FLCruiser97 said:

Do you happen to remember the name of the Pinot Grigio? I am a closet Pinot Grigio fan.

Danzante. It's on the Cellar #1 list. It's also on the By the Glass list and is covered by the SBP.

Edited by POA1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

the coconut trifle

I love coconut and trifle.  What is served at the Pinnacle is not a trifle.  Where is the sponge cake?  Where is the alcohol?  Why is it served in that weird glass?  I will not be ordering again.

• Like 2

Food and service in the restaurants has been uniformly outstanding.

Our Club Orange waiter, Tri, is really attentive. (I know there's supposed to be a rotation in CO, but we had him for dinner last night and breakfast today. That legally makes him "our guy." You can tell we're a fixed seating people. We need to have "our people." It brings us comfort and joy. Also glad tidings.

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

Just now, 0106 said:

I love coconut and trifle.  What is served at the Pinnacle is not a trifle.  Where is the sponge cake?  Where is the alcohol?  Why is it served in that weird glass?  I will not be ordering again.

I feel your pain. However, I was happy that it was something I didn't want to finish. I don't want to gain all my cruise weight on Day One. A more accurate name would be stack o' puddin', but it does not sound as upscale.

Edited by POA1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

I've followed you for a while. I am so glad that a lot of the veteran(not old, or military) HAL cruisers have returned.  I've sailed HAL since 1988 on the Rotterdam V.  Unfortunately, not  that sailing is possible,  thar dreaded mystery dog respiratory illness has made it impossible for me to have reliable dog care.  So I am following both you and LAFFENVAGAS(sp?). Both of you have great blogs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, POA1 said:

Chef Rudi's is packed at 6:50 pm. We're at the Ocean Bar for pregame and we're opposite the door to Sel de Mer.

Are you the couple that the wife thought she ordered an amaretto but the server delivered something else? 🧐

• Like 1

Just now, hrhdhd said:

Are you the couple that the wife thought she ordered an amaretto but the server delivered something else? 🧐

No. We're not really in the witness protection program. Standard order is Maker's Mark on the rocks and Ketel One & soda with lime.

• Like 3

Tonight's dinner started with Le Grand Cortage Rosé for the lovely Mrs. POA1. I has Chateau Ste. Michelle Brut.

For starters, we had the shrimp cocktail and the duck device.

17023291211388.jpg

17023291211919.jpg

Edited by POA1
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1