Questions from a new to princess cruiser

pollyspockets

Hello! 

My family is full of experienced cruisers but we have never tried princess before. We are booked on the Royal Princess for an Alaska glacier cruise. A few questions- our travel agent booked us on princess plus. We will have three guests and this only applies to 1 and 2. Do all passengers need to have a beverage package? Does the third guest need to be plus? Is it worth upgrading to premier (we like specialty dining)? 

Plus and premier fares 101.

Theses fares are required for the first two passengers in the cabin. The third passenger is optional. The fare includes unlimited wifi, daily crew gratuity, a beverage package and some other things such as casual dining meals which are $17.70 I believe. The Royal has Alfredo's and I think Vines as casual meal locations. If the third passenger is under 21 and purchases the plus or premier fare they receive the non alcoholic beverage package. Probably 90% of all alcoholic beverages on board are priced under $15. There are some wines and high end spirits that are higher. If you have the plus fare and order a drink that is higher than $15 you will be charged the difference plus 18%. Example for a $20 drink you would be charged $5 + 18% = $5.90. The packages include unlimited non alcoholic beverages. If the 3rd passenger does not have the plus fare they will be charged the daily gratuity or $16, $17 or $18 per day depending on cabin category. They could also purchase unlimited wifi for $15 per day or could take the wifi from either passenger 1 or 2 and log in as one of them. Non alcoholic beverages are in the area of $2.50 for sodas, $4 to $5 for specialty coffees such as lattes. Regular coffee, teas and hot chocolate are no charge in the buffet and DRs as are lemonade, ice tea, juices during breakfast hours. 

Specialty dining locations on the royal are the Crown Grill $46 and Sabatini's $41. There may also be a pop up Crab Shack which would be in the same price range. I think your cruise is 7 nights. You can do the math. Are the so called extras for premier worth the $20/pp/day or $140/pp. Off hand I don't think so.

I want to advise you that MDR meals on Princess are excellent. There are some current and recent past live threads from the Emerald  & Ruby Princess that show MDR meal details. There will also be some special menu items in Alaska. The Royal Princess has Alfredo's which is casual dining, walk in. It's a popular choice for both lunch and dinner. Excellent personal pizza and other menu items.

Hope this helps. Free free to ask additional questions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, pollyspockets said:

Hello! 

My family is full of experienced cruisers but we have never tried princess before. We are booked on the Royal Princess for an Alaska glacier cruise. A few questions- our travel agent booked us on princess plus. We will have three guests and this only applies to 1 and 2. Do all passengers need to have a beverage package? Does the third guest need to be plus? Is it worth upgrading to premier (we like specialty dining)? 

You did get a good summary from @skynight, but to be clear, your 3rd person in same cabin can purchase the Plus cruise fare package just like the other two.  It can be purchased in advance or on board.  On board lets the guest pay for it partially with any OBC you have.  Since your TA was eager to sell you the Plus package, it seems odd they didn't also try to sell it to the 3rd guest.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pollyspockets said:

Hello! 

To be clear, no passenger needs to have a beverage package (a significant feature of a Plus fare, but as stated above, only one component). Hopefully your TA asked questions about your cruising style which led them to book this fare for you. I assume passengers one and two enjoy one or more adult beverages a day. Otherwise, a standard fare with select additions might be more economical.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

You did get a good summary from @skynight, but to be clear, your 3rd person in same cabin can purchase the Plus cruise fare package just like the other two.  It can be purchased in advance or on board.  On board lets the guest pay for it partially with any OBC you have.  Since your TA was eager to sell you the Plus package, it seems odd they didn't also try to sell it to the 3rd guest.

Thanks all! We are paying the same as standard, so I think TA threw it in as a perk. 

1 minute ago, BamaVol said:

To be clear, no passenger needs to have a beverage package (a significant feature of a Plus fare, but as stated above, only one component). Hopefully your TA asked questions about your cruising style which led them to book this fare for you. I assume passengers one and two enjoy one or more adult beverages a day. Otherwise, a standard fare with select additions might be more economical.

Yes, we’ve had him for a long time. One and two will drink alcohol, but probably not 3. Do all parties have to have a package a la royal Caribbean?

1 minute ago, pollyspockets said:

Yes, we’ve had him for a long time. One and two will drink alcohol, but probably not 3. Do all parties have to have a package a la royal Caribbean?

If passenger one buys a package, passenger two must as well. Passengers three and four are not required to buy a package. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, pollyspockets said:

Thanks all! We are paying the same as standard, so I think TA threw it in as a perk. 

Wow. I’m guessing you’re not in an inside cabin. I wouldn’t turn down free Plus even if I wasn’t a drinker. 

1 hour ago, pollyspockets said:

No. As explained. If passenger 1 in the cabin has the plus or premier fare then passenger 2 must also have the same fare. Passengers 3 & 4 are optional.

Since you are new to Princess may I suggest? If you are active or vet military you can apply for the military benefit OBC. It is per person. So if anyone in the cabin meets the requirements they can receive the benefit. Look up Princess Cruises Military Benefit for all the details and fine print. Also, if you own at least 100 shares of Carnival Corp stock in any account you can apply for the Carnival Shareholder Benefit OBC. This benefit is one per cabin. Look up Carnival Corporation Shareholder Benefit on line.  

6 hours ago, pollyspockets said:

Hello! 

Upgrading to Premier is dependent on your priorities.  I always upgrade, but that's because I have a FABULOUS time with the photographers.  We take goofy pictures, fun pictures, formal pictures and they'll also do candids.  The photos also include everyone in your cabin, so the 3rd guest will be included as well.  The photos themselves are worth the cost for me, but I also enjoy the Specialty Dining, though the MDR food is wonderful. 

Cool part of Premier SD is that the 4 included can be shared with cabin mates.  For example, I am going on a cruise next month with my Mom and my Best Friend.  Mom and I have the Premier, BF didn't get a package at all.  I booked 2 SD meals, the Steak House first because it costs more. So, that reservation took the first 3 of our included meals, then I booked Sabatinis, the first meal was covered and I had to pay the 2 $35 fees for the second 2 meals.  Doesn't save a huge amount, but money is money.

Premier also has the Princess Prizes.  Last January we all 3(even though only 2 of us had Premier) got 3 $25 OBC prizes, just for opening the cabin door.  It's possible that it was a glitch that has been fixed by now, but it was cool when it happened.

I've yet to try the fitness classes, my version of fitness on a cruise is "fitness dessert in my mouth'.

Premium Desserts were a hit with my children, they were 8 and 12 on their cruise, but 1 a day is more than enough for me.  Though I haven't tried some of the new ones they've come out with.  My last cruise was March 2023.

• Like 1