NCL Gem - Deck 9 or 10 & Question about Deck Plan

Wisteria13

First timer here! Booking a balcony and I'm looking at decks 9 and 10. I'm the world's worst sleeper so I'm looking for quiet and also less ship movement. So I'm going for midship. Is there a difference between 9 and 10 or would both be about the same, noise and movement wise?

Also, looking at the deck plans on the website, I can see where the stairwells are. But there's a blank space with no inside staterooms that I'm wondering if anyone knows what it is? Trying to figure out if this blank space is something that would be noisy to the balcony rooms opposite it. It is in the 9562 area if you're looking at the plans.

Thanks in advance for the advice! Everyone here seems so knowledgeable. Excited for our first time!

All I can say is that I'm currently in a deck 9 starboard balcony room very near the aft elevators. I am very sound sensitive , but all I hear is the sounds of the ventialtion and creaking of the ship. Nothing from the corridor. Nothing from above or below.

On 12/14/2023 at 1:25 PM, Wisteria13 said:

First timer here! Booking a balcony and I'm looking at decks 9 and 10. I'm the world's worst sleeper so I'm looking for quiet and also less ship movement. So I'm going for midship. Is there a difference between 9 and 10 or would both be about the same, noise and movement wise?

Also, looking at the deck plans on the website, I can see where the stairwells are. But there's a blank space with no inside staterooms that I'm wondering if anyone knows what it is? Trying to figure out if this blank space is something that would be noisy to the balcony rooms opposite it. It is in the 9562 area if you're looking at the plans.

Thanks in advance for the advice! Everyone here seems so knowledgeable. Excited for our first time!

As for movement, I can't imagine you would notice a difference from a 1 deck change.

Deck 10 is 2 below the public areas, which should be fine. Deck 9 similar.

I agree with other's comments about the storage area. There should be no activity at night; and, you actually have fewer across the way neighbors to possibly make noise.

As others have stated usually works out best when you are in a cabin with a cabin above and below. Considering deck 9 be mindful that O’sheehans bar is on deck 8 and at times gets loud. Also lifeboats/tenders are on deck 8, so you may have early morning noise of their lowering if they are using the vessels right under your balcony for port tendering that day.

On 12/15/2023 at 3:37 PM, Asawi said:

All I can say is that I'm currently in a deck 9 starboard balcony room very near the aft elevators. I am very sound sensitive , but all I hear is the sounds of the ventialtion and creaking of the ship. Nothing from the corridor. Nothing from above or below.

Asawi…..I have a cruise booked on the Gem this upcoming March. I apologize for temporarily changing the subject, but since there is little to no information on the current experience onboard the Gem, could you comment on your time spent on this ship so far.

9 hours ago, johnnyjay said:

Asawi…..I have a cruise booked on the Gem this upcoming March. I apologize for temporarily changing the subject, but since there is little to no information on the current experience onboard the Gem, could you comment on your time spent on this ship so far.

I like this ship a lot! Very nice library. Decent food. Easy to find my way around the ship.