How to secure American Express Cruise Privileges Program OBCs

Psoque

We apologize if there is an active thread on this topic elsewhere, but we thought would start this one, since a thread on this topic from 2012 has been archived and closed.

We wanted to share our recent experience about this program.  For those who are not in the know, there is a program available American Express Platinum cardholders called the Cruise Privileges Program (CPP).

https://global.americanexpress.com/card-benefits/detail/cruises-privileges/platinum

One of the cruise lines included in this program is Oceania.  The description on the website erroneously suggests that you have to book with American Express Travel to receive this benefit.  Actually, any TA can access this benefit if they are willing to call American Express for a booking code or something like that.

My (new) TA has kindly tried to get us the $300/cabin OBC through this program.  Unfortunately, she was informed that Oceania (not AMEX) is telling her that $300 OBC (coming from AMEX, presumably) is not combinable with a pre-paid gratuities (coming from the travel agency, not AMEX).  Since the gratuity is worth $360 for a 10 night cruise, we decided to take that instead of $300 OBC.

As far as I know, every cruise line in the program decides what is combinable or not with the CPP.  I guess Oceania can make whatever arbitrary decision regarding this and everything else about their cruises, so there’s no point in arguing.  However, it is a bit strange.

However, for a shorter cruise (8 night or less), taking the AMEX CPP OBC would have made a better sense.

Yes, not combinable with quite a few things. We have two cruises upcoming with prepaid gratuities and also not available for the AMEX OBC….as you noted you just do the math.  We also just to make sure called AMEX Travel and they advised the same that not combinable with certain perks and sales. 

I booked my next Oceania Cruise on the Riviera last month.  The onboard consultant applied my booking to my agent.  She immediately let me know that my travel agency would provide the gratuities.  But could not confirm the American Express Benefits.  I will give you three guess why?  You got it, it was not combinable. 

Now two years ago I booked my recent trip on the Riviera with my Travel Agent.  At the time she did not provide gratuities for that trip.  I booked that trip initially with a four category upgrade and AMX worked with it.  Then I was able to apply the Extraordinary Sales Event and lost the AMX but my cost per stateroom went down close to $1800.  Seemed like a fair deal. 

I wish all perks and benefits would work together however they don't.  However the math makes the decision for most of us. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Psoque said:

My (new) TA has kindly tried to get us the $300/cabin OBC through this program.  Unfortunately, she was informed that Oceania (not AMEX) is telling her that $300 OBC (coming from AMEX, presumably) is not combinable with a pre-paid gratuities (coming from the travel agency, not AMEX).  Since the gratuity is worth $360 for a 10 night cruise, we decided to take that instead of $300 OBC.

Sorry but this is on your TA who should know the combinability rules for promos. Here is an example of the combinability rules for a "TA provided" OBC from my TA (actually from O via my TA):

Combinability:

• These amenities are combinable with OLife Advantage and Onboard Bookings.
  • These amenities are not combinable with American Express Platinum and Centurion Cruise Privileges.
  • These amenities are not combinable with Past Guest promotions, travel agency groups, reduced fares, or National Accounts Promotions.

The confusion lies in the "TA provided" wording. If O provides OBC/PPG perks to TAs who pass them on, then these are not truly TA provided other than they are only available via a TA (and not directly booking with O). Some TAs do provide OBC/PPG perks from their own coffers, but the combinability rules would be determined by the TA, not O. I always ask my TA for the combinability rules before I even do a hold so I can run the numbers.

Edited by AMHuntFerry
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just a thought all. There are so many different O promotional and SPB opportunities out there, be it credit card, O Loyalty, Shareholder, AND THE BEAT GOES ON!  So my question is does the combine ability issue really cause you to opt out of a great Oceania cruise itinerary? 
We all look for savings and a bargain, the Never Pay Retail Mantra, but IMHO, that $100-300 SPB is NOT going to cause me to walk away from a trip WE want to take. I admit, we try to never take a trip less than 12 days so the tariff is a bit stiffer, but that $300 combine ability issue fits right up there with a “nothing burger” 🤪 in the grand scheme of our cruise. Maybe I should fess up because in a fit of marital madness years ago I booked us in a PH and the Genie is out of the bottle 😇👍❤️.  I have 54 years vested in my DW and I can assure you, HAPPY WIFE , HAPPY LIFE.  $300 SPB lost from AMEX, just take away my Starbucks card for awhile 😜

Again, JMHO,

Merry Christmas and book quick before the prices change as we welcome the New Year.

Mauibabes

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

Just a thought all. There are so many different O promotional and SPB opportunities out there, be it credit card, O Loyalty, Shareholder, AND THE BEAT GOES ON!  So my question is does the combine ability issue really cause you to opt out of a great Oceania cruise itinerary? 
We all look for savings and a bargain, the Never Pay Retail Mantra, but IMHO, that $100-300 SPB is NOT going to cause me to walk away from a trip WE want to take. I admit, we try to never take a trip less than 12 days so the tariff is a bit stiffer, but that $300 combine ability issue fits right up there with a “nothing burger” 🤪 in the grand scheme of our cruise. Maybe I should fess up because in a fit of marital madness years ago I booked us in a PH and the Genie is out of the bottle 😇👍❤️.  I have 54 years vested in my DW and I can assure you, HAPPY WIFE , HAPPY LIFE.  $300 SPB lost from AMEX, just take away my Starbucks card for awhile 😜

Again, JMHO,

Merry Christmas and book quick before the prices change as we welcome the New Year.

Mauibabes

@mauibabes Nice post.  You nutshell it.  Book the Brand, Ship and Itinerary that suit you.  Everyone make a decision on yourself and your situation.  I booked a 2025 cruise in a A4.  It was more expensive than my last Oceania Cruise by a lot.  However, after my cruise and having a great time, it was worth it.  My money, my choice.  Now do I hope I can catch a sales and upgrade to Penthouse, You bet I do and I will be watching for it.  Am I upset I could not combine my AMX perks with my agents Free Gratuities, not really.  

You said happy wife, happy life.  For the first time, in a very long time, my wife LOVED the cruise, the brand, the ship and the experience.  It was our first Mediterranean cruise and again we booked another one with our same friend. The price became not relevant.  Again, thank you so much for a very good post. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2023 at 2:59 PM, Sthrngary said:

@mauibabes Nice post.  You nutshell it.  Book the Brand, Ship and Itinerary that suit you.  Everyone make a decision on yourself and your situation.  I booked a 2025 cruise in a A4.  It was more expensive than my last Oceania Cruise by a lot.  However, after my cruise and having a great time, it was worth it.  My money, my choice.  Now do I hope I can catch a sales and upgrade to Penthouse, You bet I do and I will be watching for it.  Am I upset I could not combine my AMX perks with my agents Free Gratuities, not really.  

You said happy wife, happy life.  For the first time, in a very long time, my wife LOVED the cruise, the brand, the ship and the experience.  It was our first Mediterranean cruise and again we booked another one with our same friend. The price became not relevant.  Again, thank you so much for a very good post. 

I think you said you booked your next cruise while on-board your first. Did you receive $200? We booked our next cruise after we arrived home from our first O cruise.. Received a $200 offer if we book within 45 days of our return. Do you know if that shows up as OBC? Also, our TA does not offer free gratuities. Gave us OBC that would cover gratuities in a cabin, not our suite. BTW, I have enjoyed all of your posts. 

4 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

I think you said you booked your next cruise while on-board your first. Did you receive $200? We booked our next cruise after we arrived home from our first O cruise.. Received a $200 offer if we book within 45 days of our return. Do you know if that shows up as OBC? Also, our TA does not offer free gratuities. Gave us OBC that would cover gratuities in a cabin, not our suite. BTW, I have enjoyed all of your posts. 

@SATaxman Thank you for your kind words.  You have always been great with your questions, comments and responses.  1) Did I get $200.00 of OBC.  No. When you book onboard, you are making a specific commitment to a specific cruise.  You get $250 of OBC that you can use on that current cruise or in the future.  We used it for the future.  If you wait and do it after you get off, it is $200 as I understand it.  I did get a $200.00 certificate in the mail, asked if it could apply and was told, "NO" it was not combinable. 2) I also got money off the fare.  The amount went up for every fare category.  I booked (A4) and got off $400.00.  3) I booked a cruise for 2025 and got another 5% off the fair for booking so long in advance.  

Your question of where it shows or if it shows is a little confusing so allow me to do my best from my on-line account.  The $250.00 of OBC shows and you can see in when you go to the "Manage Your Booking".  In the same area was the $800.00 for excursions  which ONLY can be used for excursions.  Let's debate that for another two years, LOL.

The Agency I used pays for the Gratuities regardless of the stateroom I choose. So if I eventual upgrade to a PH, they will pay for that.  However this took my AMX perks off the table because the better value if you only took one was the gratuities.  In your situation, since your agency is not giving you gratuities and instead I would assume it is OBC, you can get your AMX perks also.  I would ask if I were you. I think I answered all your question, let me know if it helped.

Cruise well and look for every discount you can fine.  Make it sport and share your findings. 

12 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@SATaxman Thank you for your kind words.  You have always been great with your questions, comments and responses.  1) Did I get $200.00 of OBC.  No. When you book onboard, you are making a specific commitment to a specific cruise.  You get $250 of OBC that you can use on that current cruise or in the future.  We used it for the future.  If you wait and do it after you get off, it is $200 as I understand it.  I did get a $200.00 certificate in the mail, asked if it could apply and was told, "NO" it was not combinable. 2) I also got money off the fare.  The amount went up for every fare category.  I booked (A4) and got off $400.00.  3) I booked a cruise for 2025 and got another 5% off the fair for booking so long in advance.  

Your question of where it shows or if it shows is a little confusing so allow me to do my best from my on-line account.  The $250.00 of OBC shows and you can see in when you go to the "Manage Your Booking".  In the same area was the $800.00 for excursions  which ONLY can be used for excursions.  Let's debate that for another two years, LOL.

The Agency I used pays for the Gratuities regardless of the stateroom I choose. So if I eventual upgrade to a PH, they will pay for that.  However this took my AMX perks off the table because the better value if you only took one was the gratuities.  In your situation, since your agency is not giving you gratuities and instead I would assume it is OBC, you can get your AMX perks also.  I would ask if I were you. I think I answered all your question, let me know if it helped.

Cruise well and look for every discount you can fine.  Make it sport and share your findings. 

Thanks

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

I used one of those post-cruise $200 certificates in January 2022. The process when using a TA was (may be different if booked directly with O):

First, you have to book the cruise within the (45-day, I think mine was shorter) timeframe on the certificate.

After you have a booking with deposit (not a hold), you send in the completed certificate (hint: scan/copy the completed certificate in case it goes astray).

After a while (can't remember), a line item called "Bonus Savings" showed up beneath the "Air Credit" on the revised invoice that my TA sent to me.

• Thanks 1