Late Embarkation?

RoonilWazlib

I did some searching, but it seems everyone is trying to get on their ship as fast as possible. I have the opposite question. My husband and I will be on the Millennium out of Tokyo next spring. Schedule says it departs at 7pm. What is the latest we can get on? I'm just hoping to maximize our time in Tokyo, since we will probably only get in a day and a half early (I'm already going to be over my allotted PTO for the year with this one trip). I know Yokohama where the port is will take a bit to get to, so I will factor that in.

I would check with Celebrity.

I have not boarded a cruise starting in Japan, but I would arrive at the port by 5pm at the latest, as in most places around the world, all passengers and crew need to be checked in and boarded no later than 90 minutes before scheduled departure on the first day of the cruise.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Baynanno1

2 hours ago, RoonilWazlib said:

I did some searching, but it seems everyone is trying to get on their ship as fast as possible. I have the opposite question. My husband and I will be on the Millennium out of Tokyo next spring. Schedule says it departs at 7pm. What is the latest we can get on? I'm just hoping to maximize our time in Tokyo, since we will probably only get in a day and a half early (I'm already going to be over my allotted PTO for the year with this one trip). I know Yokohama where the port is will take a bit to get to, so I will factor that in.

I don't have any experience with Tokyo, but I do have experience with late embark action times. Last year, I arrived in San Juan at 4:30 pm for an 8:30 pm departure. I raced through check in as there was barely anyone else in line in front of me. Some years ago, I had another scheduled departure (not on Celebrity) out of sunny San Juan that was even later - 10 pm. I got to the terminal at 7 and breezed right through right in time for dinner and an old fashioned muster drill.

Definitely check with Celebrity on how late you can arrive, but I generally approve of your plan to arrive late. 👍

Edited by Honolulu Blue

2 hours ago, RoonilWazlib said:

When in spring is your cruise?  If it's after May, remind me and I'll check when I board on May 2nd.  In the mean time, keep an eye out for live reviews once Millennium returns to Japan and maybe someone on the sailing before yours/ours can find out for you. 

Edited by DaKahuna

11 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

When in spring is your cruise?  If it's after May, remind me and I'll check when I board on May 2nd.  In the mean time, keep an eye out for live reviews once Millennium returns to Japan and maybe someone on the sailing before yours/ours can find out for you. 

May 2! Looks like we'll be on there together!

• Like 1

When you get your cruise docs (about 30 days out), on the Cruise Summary page should be a section called Ship Check-in with details about the latest you can check in.  It usually is 90 minutes although this can vary by port.  Keep in mind that is the absolute latest, so give yourself a little extra time.

5 minutes ago, RoonilWazlib said:

I really don't want to wait that long if I'm going to be making reservations. And it also affects what neighborhood we'll want to choose a hotel in.

Check your invoice from Celebrity.  I just pulled up one of mine invoices and it also has a statement about the latest you can be checked in and onboard.  It is on the page with the itinerary under Important Information.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2023 at 12:22 PM, prmssk said:

Check your invoice from Celebrity.  I just pulled up one of mine invoices and it also has a statement about the latest you can be checked in and onboard.  It is on the page with the itinerary under Important Information.

Oh excellent! Thanks!

On 12/21/2023 at 1:14 PM, RoonilWazlib said:

I really don't want to wait that long if I'm going to be making reservations. And it also affects what neighborhood we'll want to choose a hotel in.

We are staying in Yokohama pre and post cruise.  We have not decided yet whether we are going to have lunch ashore and then board the ship or board the ship and have lunch.  Another possibility, considering the late departure, is to see if we can check in, drop our things in the cabin and go back ashore.  Lots of things to consider. 

• Like 1