Cigar Lounge ( I think it's called 'Speakeasy' ) on the Emerald Princess

Don_In_AZ

I plan to make frequent use of the Speakeasy Cigar Lounge on our upcoming Emerald Princess cruise in April but have since learned that in no way am I allowed to bring any of my torch lighters on the flights to/from the cruise port (even in checked luggage).  Does the Speakeasy lounge provide lighters (or at least matches) for guests to use?  If not I will have to make a trip to a Fort Lauderdale cigar shop prior to boarding to purchase a lighter...and I guess I'll have to donate it to a local before flying back.

• Like 1

I have been able to bring a small torch lighter that is the same size as a Bic lighter. It works great in the outside smoking areas that can be quite breezy. I believe the prohibition may be with larger torch lighters. Buy a small inexpensive lighter and pack it in your carry-on. I've never had a problem.

Of course, YMMV.

2 hours ago, Don_In_AZ said:

I plan to make frequent use of the Speakeasy Cigar Lounge on our upcoming Emerald Princess cruise in April but have since learned that in no way am I allowed to bring any of my torch lighters on the flights to/from the cruise port (even in checked luggage).  Does the Speakeasy lounge provide lighters (or at least matches) for guests to use?  If not I will have to make a trip to a Fort Lauderdale cigar shop prior to boarding to purchase a lighter...and I guess I'll have to donate it to a local before flying back.

Torch lighters are prohibited in checked or carryon baggage per the TSA.  You can carry a disposable lighter or zippo lighter in carryon. It is always at the discretion of the TSA agent.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/all?page=48

You never know if they are going to take it away or not. 

I now just forget about taking one and stop by Total Wines (right near the port in Ft Lauderdale) and pick up a cheap torch - usually around 8 or 9 bucks.  And yes, I leave it with a staff member when we disembark.

• 3 months later...

Where are the designated smoking areas on the Emerald Princess since closure of the Speakeasy lounge (Dec 2023).

I'm aware of the starboard side deck-7 area adjacent to Club Fusion, and the windy deck-16 starboard area. What provision have been made on the Emerald since the closure of the Speakeasy cigar lounge? 

12 minutes ago, obendus said:

Where are the designated smoking areas on the Emerald Princess since closure of the Speakeasy lounge (Dec 2023).

I'm aware of the starboard side deck-7 area adjacent to Club Fusion, and the windy deck-16 starboard area. What provision have been made on the Emerald since the closure of the Speakeasy cigar lounge? 

I can't confirm specifically for the Emerald, but on the the sister ship, Ruby, the smoking areas were just as you mentioned, except that the deck 16 area, I believe, was on the port side. Cigarette smoking was also permitted at a good number of port side slots while playing. Believe cigar and pipe smoking is now only at the deck 16 area. I never saw it in the small starboard promenade aft area. 

4 minutes ago, skynight said:

I can't confirm specifically for the Emerald, but on the the sister ship, Ruby, the smoking areas were just as you mentioned, except that the deck 16 area, I believe, was on the port side. Cigarette smoking was also permitted at a good number of port side slots while playing. Believe cigar and pipe smoking is now only at the deck 16 area. I never saw it in the small starboard promenade aft area. 

Just left a B2B on the Ruby 4 days ago, and can confirm tour observations. I hope the Emerald also has that deck 16 area. The outside areas on the Emerald is December were quite limited, but the Speakeasy closed during that vessels Christmas cruise.