LAX Long Layover

wendyp247

probably the easiest thing to do is call customer service for the airline you are ticketed on.  Lounge rules have changed or are going to change widely with many airlines.  Some you can buy a day pass for.  Having status and flying first class on the domestic leg still does not get you access on some airlines.  Having the right credit card ( often AmEx, ) can.  review this article and note the paragraph at the end which cuts to the chase.  Be aware that Alaska recently changed their policies ( status and first class ) as has Delta.  This article from Oct 2023

https://upgradedpoints.com/travel/airports/los-angeles-lax-airport-lounges/#Gameway

Last year (Nov2022), we had a 7:55pm flight home out of LAX after our cruise and the plan was to spend time in Santa Monica before heading to the airport.  We've been to Santa Monica before so we are somewhat familiar with the area and felt we'd enjoy spending time there again.  However, we also have lounge access so we wanted to get to LAX a bit earlier to check out a lounge.  

We took one of the last departure times to help kill some time but this was somewhat of a mistake as we had a bit of a wait getting a ride share being one of the last ones off.  Our Uber to Santa Monica was about $55 at 9:30am on a Saturday morning.  During one of the previous nights on the ship, we pre-booked luggage storage via an app called Bounce.  They partner with various businesses that have space to store luggage.  We ended up storing our two medium sized pieces of luggage in a locked designated luggage storage room at a Hostel International in Santa Monica for about $12.  Our main activities were:  the Santa Monica Pier, walking the beach path (there and back), lunch, and checking out the various shopping/retail around the neighbourhood.  YMMV of course in terms of interests, time spent, walking, etc.  

Sunset while we were there in November was just before 5pm and it got kind of windy and chilly late in the evening so we kind of started wrapping things up and hopped in an Uber to LAX around 4:30pm for about $30.

Our cruise also had a post cruise excursion/tour of LA on a coach bus that dropped you off at LAX at the end which we did consider.  I forget where the tour went and the exact cost it but IIRC I think the price for one person was more than what we paid for our two Ubers and luggage storage.  Pros and cons to a tour vs DIY tho of course.  

Also check out Lounge Buddy as another resource for lounge access info.  A few other points to note are:  (1) Not all lounges are created equal so check out reviews/research and (2) it can be a bit of an effort to go between certain terminals.  Eg. We had to go between Terminal 2 to the International Terminal on airside and it was a bit of work because we had to jump on a free connector bus versus just being able to walk it.

Edited by Milhouse
added link

1. there are a few upscale hotels on perimeter of LAX that offer free shuttle to the airport.  Maybe relax in their lobby for a bit, head off to a long lunch in the restaurant, even go bar hopping at the two/three hotels.  i believe the hotels have day tours ( like a hop on hop off) which will pick you up/drop off at the hotel. then use the free shuttle to airport.

35 minutes ago, smarterman64 said:

there is no escape lounge at LAX. 

There are no priority pass lounges at LAX

Looks like I had an old www site showing there was one in Tom Bradley terminal.  I have not used them only seen them at SMF.    

I belonged to Priority Pass many years ago and it worked while.  During our recent travels to Europe I saw several people being turned away from the Air France lounges who weren't flying AF only trying to use a credit card rewards program or Priority Pass.  At CDG I was behind a guy trying to use PP and was turned away due to "over crowding."  When we got inside the lounge was almost empty.    

On 12/26/2023 at 11:29 AM, wendyp247 said:

We have a long layover , 10 hours.  Any suggestions what to do for the 10 hours .  We don’t have status with any airlines   Any lounges we could have access to for a fee? 

To answer your question, you may be able to get into the American Admirals Club or Alaska Lounge (if flying on a one world alliance airline) or the United Club (if flying on a star alliance airline)

All of these will be depend at on them having space available, as they prioritize members and premium cabin guests over day passes.  Admirals clubs are in multiple terminals, Alaska is in terminal 6 and United is in 7. It’s a long walk depending on where you’re going but I’ve been able to hop to multiple terminals and lounges on a long layover without having to clear security.  I think that’s improved over the last few years. 

The day passes are something like $59/person, and you can buy the united ones on the app, but I’d suggest just waiting until you arrive at the club to confirm you’ll be accommodated space-wise, before purchasing.  

once inside, you will find a buffet of sorts, some amount of included alcohol and seating with charging available.  This level of airport lounge will not have ultra deluxe amenities such as massages or sleeping rooms or showers typically, but each will vary a bit.  You can google reviews or YouTube tours of most of them, or use LoungeBuddy website/app as others have suggested. 

Lastly, there can often be an official time limit for entry, (ie: maximum of three hours before flight) but I find these are sporadically enforced, if at all on a connection.  

happy Lounging!

On 12/26/2023 at 2:29 PM, wendyp247 said:

We don’t have status with any airlines   Any lounges we could have access to for a fee? 

You could look into the Platinum Card from American Express-- that will grant you access to the Centurion Lounge at LAX which is better than most airline's domestic lounges. 

The only issue with a 10 hour layover is that most lounges, including the Centurion, only allow you in up to 3 hours before your departure. This can sometimes be waived if you are connecting on the same airline in their own lounge but you should check those rules before purchasing any day pass. 

Personally I would find something fun to do in LA for the day or get a day room at a hotel nearby to relax. 10 hours is way too long to spend in an airport regardless of lounge access. 

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

You could look into the Platinum Card from American Express-- that will grant you access to the Centurion Lounge at LAX which is better than most airline's domestic lounges. 

The only issue with a 10 hour layover is that most lounges, including the Centurion, only allow you in up to 3 hours before your departure. This can sometimes be waived if you are connecting on the same airline in their own lounge but you should check those rules before purchasing any day pass. 

Personally I would find something fun to do in LA for the day or get a day room at a hotel nearby to relax. 10 hours is way too long to spend in an airport regardless of lounge access. 

The Centurion will allow you longer than 3 hours if you have arrived to LAX on the first leg and your connecting leg is at the same airport.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psuboater said:

The Centurion will allow you longer than 3 hours if you have arrived to LAX on the first leg and your connecting leg is at the same airport.

Assuming they aren't at capacity. My point was really don't sign up for a Platinum Card JUST for this because of the variables and possible limited time to use it on such a long layover. 

Worse case hop the Hilton shuttle to the LAX Hilton and hang out there, much more comfortable in the bar than the airport.  Maybe even call and see if they will rent you a day room.  We had a long layover at Hong Kong airport and had a great day room at the hotel in the terminal.