Possible Reason why Seashore and Seascape seem understaffed.

dshroyer

13 hours ago, At Sea At Peace said:

Your thesis is that MSC "is building its new ships to intentionally underservice its passengers" and you cite the passengers to crew (with no apparent understanding or knowledge of "staff" versus "crew" or "tonnage" in ignorans) ratio and the related ratings of 134 on CruiseCritic as proof.  😂

I am sorry, but after only a few recent MSC short cruises there appears to be more time spent bashing MSC than was actually spent on the MSC ships.

There is a solution, go elsewhere.

The title of my post is possible reason why Seashore and Seascape seem understaffed.  This is mentioned over and over in the comments.  My point is that when they built the ships, they were OK with that passenger to crew ratio.  It is higher than the competition.  Does not mean that MSC is bad.  Every cruise has a different level of service depending on time of year, duration, location, etc.  But it does indicate that MSC executives are more comfortable with a higher number than the competition. And that is part of their business model and why they can offer such great value.  

You mentioned I have spent more time bashing MSC than staying on their ships.  Well, I have spent 22 days on their ships and 3 days on this forum.

I really did not mean this post as a bash against MSC but rather a possible explanation as to why so many people complain about service.  

I am sorry that so many yacht club people take offense to my post.  And for that I am sorry.  

Life is too short to worry about such trivial things as cruise ships.  

As a parting word I will leave you with an article.

Why Are MSC Cruises So Cheap? (cruisehive.com)

How Does MSC Cruises Keep Prices So Low?

While the cruise line uses a variety of cost-cutting strategies, most are designed to be unnoticeable for passengers. 

Amongst the various strategies they use to keep prices low while maintaining profitability, is to maximize passenger capacity on board their ships. Simply put, having more people on each ship allows them to keep pricing low.

While they still have to abide by domestic and international safety standards when it comes to allowing passengers onboard their cruise ships, the ratio of staff to passengers is unique. They also reduce cabin sizes to accommodate more passengers on each ship.

• Like 1

I normally don’t respond but would like to give another situation.  We sailed along with 4 other rooms on a high end line (think $20k per cabin for 9 nights and you can pretty much figure out which line).  One of the cabins asked for coffee to be delivered at 7 am.  (This line provides butlers to each cabin), they were point blank told by their butler, “I don’t start until 7:15”.  I will more than be happy to settle for a cheaper line knowing going in that I might not get my coffee until later 🤣🤣🤣.  All I can say, it was One and Done for the 10 of us this upscale line.

BTW, had dinner with a very nice couple who had done over 500 nights on this high end line and they too had horrible service…

• Like 2

Great post that factually demonstrates the difference between MSC and other cruise lines.   I don't know why it is so controversial.. 

While the new ships are more efficient, it has always been MSC's unique selling point to offer lower prices by putting more cabins on smaller (but beautiful) ships with less crew.   Below is a post of mine from 2018 trying to demonstrate the same point:

On 5/6/2018 at 11:55 AM, 8420PR said:

For comparison, from cruise ships constructed 2001 to 2004, of approximately the same passenger capacity:

MSC Armonia Tonnage 65.542; Passenger Cabins 975; Crew 720; Passenger to Crew ratio 2,71

Celebrity Summit Tonnage 90.940; Passenger Cabins 1.080; Crew 1.000; Passenger to Crew ratio 2,16

Norwegian Spirit Tonnage 75.338; Passenger Cabins 990; Crew 950; Passenger to Crew ratio 2,08

Carnival Miracle Tonnage 85.942; Passenger Cabins 1.060; Crew 960; Passenger to Crew ratio 2,21

(source cruise watch website)

One of the reasons I am a fan of MSC is because it offers good value (so I can take more vacations).   .  

1 hour ago, 8420PR said:

Great post that factually demonstrates the difference between MSC and other cruise lines.   I don't know why it is so controversial.. 

While the new ships are more efficient, it has always been MSC's unique selling point to offer lower prices by putting more cabins on smaller (but beautiful) ships with less crew.   Below is a post of mine from 2018 trying to demonstrate the same point:

One of the reasons I am a fan of MSC is because it offers good value (so I can take more vacations).   .  

Seriously, from SHIPS CONSTRUCTED 2001-2004!

It is 12/29/2023!

image.jpeg.d126f5e1c83f2844a4db0063aeb2d66f.jpeg

Even then, what is the ratio of Crew per 1,000 of Tonnage?

MSC Armonia 720/65 = 11

Celebrity Summit 1,000/91 = 11

Norwegian Spirit 950/75 = 12.7

Carnival Miracle 960/86 = 11

PRESTO!

I will complement on the statement "One of the reasons I am a fan of MSC is because it offers good value (so I can take more vacations)"  Very honest. 

Many don't realize MSC outside-the-YC market penetration target is Carnival (not RCCL or NCL), inside-the-YC market penetration is that it is competitively priced compared to many veranda staterooms on NCL, RCCL and CEL (and well below the NCL and Retreat offerings).

PLUS, they don't have 'billions and billions of INTEREST expense built up during the pandemic like Carnival, RCCL and NCL.  Billions they are alternately spending on a vast # of new builds with more modernization and power plants.

Take care all.

👍

• Like 1

Some of the arguments/discussion have me scratching my head :).  The cruise industry is not rocket science.  When looking at various statistics we have things like "space ratios" and crew-passenger ratios.  In generaly, the more you pay the better the space ratio and passenger-crew ratios.   MSC does not "take away" from the mass market part of the ship to staff the YC.  The YC is its own entity, with a hand picked staff, and excellent staff and space ratios.  That is how the ships were designed, and those who want the higher level of service and space can get it if they are willing to pay the price.  It is the same if you want to be on a luxury cruise line (Seabourn, Silversea, Sea Dream, etc) for which you will pay even more money (when compared to the YC) to get a more quality experience.  It is no different than booking a Ritz Carlton vs a Holiday Inn Express.   But make no mistake, MSC does not dilute the staff of one part of the ship to serve the YC.  Each is staffed according to their internal formulas and needs.  Folks are not going to get YC type service outside the YC because they are not willing to pay for that level of service.  

So what is the problem?  Some folks simply envy others who are willing to pay for higher quality.  The MSC cruiser who is paying $100 per person/day and whines about those in the YC, are simply jealous (or possibly cheap).  We have often chatted with frequent HAL cruisers (for the record we are also 5* with HAL) who say things like "we do not ever want to see the ship within a ship scheme."  Yet, some of these same folks book Neptune Suites, have their special dining areas, go to the Neptune Lounge...where they whine about "ship within a ship" schemes?  

A wonderful trait about the cruise industry is that there are lots of options and folks can make their choices depending on their wants, needs, budget, etc.  So, for example, when we cruise on HAL we have no desire to pay the big bucks for a Neptune Suite.  On the other hand, we have no problem paying to go on Seabourn, Silversea, etc. where we think there is good value in what we get for our money.  But that is just our personal preference, and we have no problem with folks that want to pay really big dollars for a larger suite (the extra space is wasted on us since we spend little waking time in our cabin).  

But I do not understand why folks feel they must criticize those willing to pay more for more, or less for less.  That is simply the way of the world.

Hank

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

MSC does not "take away" from the mass market part of the ship to staff the YC.  The YC is its own entity, with a hand picked staff, and excellent staff and space ratios. 

Yes, that is supposed to be the modus operandi. But on one of our recent Yacht Club cruises either Sept or Thanksgiving on Seascape the YC was booked 262 is 100% we had 330. Maitre d' Arthur admitted that he was down 2-3 waiters to start, that he had the confidence of the hotel director and was able to commandeer the extra waiters from the MDRs, so service in the YC did not suffer, all at the expense of steerage. So when passengers complain about service they are NOT imagining things (in steerage). 

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Yes, that is supposed to be the modus operandi. But on one of our recent Yacht Club cruises either Sept or Thanksgiving on Seascape the YC was booked 262 is 100% we had 330. Maitre d' Arthur admitted that he was down 2-3 waiters to start, that he had the confidence of the hotel director and was able to commandeer the extra waiters from the MDRs, so service in the YC did not suffer, all at the expense of steerage. So when passengers complain about service they are NOT imagining things (in steerage). 

Hmmm, how did they squeeze 330 into 262?  When we cruised on MSC, DW and I spent some time in "steerage" (to use your words) since we actually enjoy being with the"masses" and having some fun.  Service outside the YC was generally fair to awful!  On one cruise, the onboard bar manager was an old friend (we knew him for many years from a different cruise line).  One evening, DW and I were in one of the "steerage" bars (where they had a decent band) and could not get any bar service.  I finally walked over to the bar and ordered two martinis (not the easiest things to carry).  When I turned to carry them back to our table, the ship's bar manager was sitting with DW and seemed both amused and shocked that I was carrying our drinks.  When I explained that it was difficult to get service outside the YC he was not happy (but nothing changed).  On the other hand, we are not high maintenance and simply roll with the waves and enjoy ourselves.

You might also be shocked to know that during some port days, DW and I would dare to spend time at one of the "steerage" pools since they had a real pool (where one could swim a few laps), a nearby gelato place, and the Lido (with its decent pizza) was also nearby.  It was also rumored that I was once spotted in the lido (oh horrors) making an Italian sausage sandwich, which was more delicious than that day's offerings in the the YC's two lunch venues.  Another benefit of being out among the masses was that we could easily find a nice shady spot since the ship was pretty empty.  Some of us are just so low class that being with the masses is often more enjoyable than watching certain folks, sitting by themselves, in the YC :).  The truth is we have met quite a few really nice folks on MSC, both in the YC and out in "steerage."

Hank

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

MSC does not "take away" from the mass market part of the ship to staff the YC.  The YC is its own entity, with a hand picked staff, and excellent staff and space ratios. 

Agreed, that is by design.  Their Yacht Club market target is actually cruisers on RCCL, CEL, NCL that pay equal or more for a mere upper category, non-suite, non-club-within-a-club stateroom and get get the Yacht Club instead.

Outside the Yacht Club their market is, by offering beautiful new ships, a price competitive product to attract Carnival cruisers (a big market).  

They do BOTH with the physical separation of the Yacht Club in its entirety from the non-Yacht Club.  Only NCL does the same.  CEL Retreat leave the Retreat for the lounge and dining at the rear of the ship down near specialty dining.  Older MSC, Divina for example, has the restaurant at the back of the ship also; something they discontinued on the new Classes of ships.

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

I don't think that it is by design though, as Hlitner has also established.  Does it happen now and then, apparently as you appropriately note.  I'm sure that it could potentially go both ways when the circumstances arise.  I also don't know if missing 2 waiters in MDR, where there are hundreds of service staff, has the same effect as 2 waiters in the Yacht Club.  So, IMO, passenger complaints about service in the MDR simply can't be solely attributed to a 'chance' happenstance of a 2 waiter need exchange one way or the other with the Yacht Club.

As an aside, I'm surprised Arthur simply didn't take over the tables for the 2 absent waiters.  He could probably handle it in his sleep!

9 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

how did they squeeze 330 into 262?

Squeeze they did. 131 cabins at double occupancy = 262 + 44 passengers that had "access" to ALL the amenities of the Yacht Club because they are friends and family of the officers, the others are families with more in the cabin (24). This number was exacerbated by all the YC guests who had family residing outside the YC who they would sneak in or intimidate the staff with threats, or give their wrist bands to them. AND there are those that are interlopers that just sneak (squeeze) in generally through the ajar doors that failed to close behind YCers or just behind unsuspecting YCers entering and exiting on decks 18 and 19 or through the stair case from Aurea Top 19.

21 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Some of us are just so low class that being with the masses is often more enjoyable than watching certain folks, sitting by themselves, in the YC :).

You can't fool me. We spent 50 years in steerage and it is NOT as enjoyable as you romanticize. We prefer port days just as much, even more,  IN the YC on those days for the same reasons.

3 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Squeeze they did. 131 cabins at double occupancy = 262 + 44 passengers that had "access" to ALL the amenities of the Yacht Club because they are friends and family of the officers, the others are families with more in the cabin (24). This number was exacerbated by all the YC guests who had family residing outside the YC who they would sneak in or intimidate the staff with threats, or give their wrist bands to them. AND there are those that are interlopers that just sneak (squeeze) in generally through the ajar doors that failed to close behind YCers or just behind unsuspecting YCers entering and exiting on decks 18 and 19 or through the stair case from Aurea Top 19.

I think you delude yourself.  MSC is simply a budget cruise line (even less costly than Carnival for some categories) that has a hybrid upper category section.   The line is about packing in folks (like sardines) and maximizing onboard revenue!   The kind of issue you describe is not a problem on the true small ship luxury lines.   I always got a few laughs out of the YC, such as when the Butlers pushed us through the masses at embarkation (truly low class) or when those in "steerage" (to use your term) were invited into the YC to "tour" the facilities.  Having the expensive home in a low priced neighborhood does feed the ego of a few, but many others would prefer to be located in the high priced neighborhood.  And we have yet to see caviar in the YC (and I love caviar).  Instead, they put out potato chips although in the YC you do get some variation on the flavors (of the potato chips).

Hank

4 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

You can't fool me. We spent 50 years in steerage and it is NOT as enjoyable as you romanticize. We prefer port days just as much, even more,  IN the YC on those days for the same reasons.

ROFL!  We have also had our time in "steerage" and just finished a wonderful "steerage" cruise on the Sky Princess :).  And we have truly cruised in steerage having once done a crossing in the lowest cost inside cabin on the "Queen."  Turned out to be a good decision since we could not hear the foghorn,,,which was blowing day and night for several days.

Hank

13 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Is like living in a castle surrounded by a moat with all my tenant serfs in their hovels (in steerage). That is the YC. ( how’s that for delusional?)

😉  It's funny, sort of.

It's not delusional.  It happens across the cruise lines, so let's not single out MSC for the Yacht Club (or cruising for that matter; what hotel does one stay at in which some prefer a suite or club level with amenities?).  Some even desire more separation from the tenant serfs by cruising on uber luxury lines so as to not even come in contact with the undesirables at all.  😉

Historically, for cruising "Concierge Lounge" amenities and benefits has long accrued to the upper tier cruiser by number of cruises (for point tier status) to type of current cruise stateroom purchased (for immediate access, aka club-within-a-club, or for higher point-to-tier status).

IMO, MSC is at fault (i.e., takes the heat for the success) for doing it the best and for the best value in the Yacht Club while offering almost sub-Carnival fares for cruising experiences on an array of new ships out side of the Yacht Club.  Haven follows (IMO only, and outside the Haven NCL has a completely different product and fare) and the Retreat is trying to make the formula work (and having a hard time with their most loyal customers over butler team assignments, drink upcharges, etc.).

But the "Concierge Loungers" were the FORERUNNERS - - - across fleets.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles/concierge-lounges-7-big-ship-cruise-lines-with-vip-options

Celebrity has Michael's Club.

Disney (which charges enough on short trips to make 2-3 sailings in the MSC Yacht Club 😲 and it the ultimate separator by inequalities of wealth) has the Concierge Lounge.

Holland has the Neptune Lounge.

MSC has the Top Sail Lounge (in the Yacht Club)

NCL has its' Lounge in the Haven.

Princess has the Suite Passengers Lounge.

Royal Caribbean has the Concierge or Diamond Club Lounge.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, At Sea At Peace said:

It's not delusional.  It happens across the cruise lines....

Not only that, as the ship-within-a-ship concept continues to grow in popularity (and acceptance?), other lines are starting to adjust. Celebrity's Retreat started on the Edge class of ships but was then added to older ships. RCCL started building the Suite Neighborhood and continues to do so. Even Carnival has the Havana exclusivity for certain guests who book that level and are 12 or older. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was on a 9 day carob cruise on HAL in late December - other than the fantastic cabins stewards - teh service in bars , restaurants, lounges, lido  - was pretty awful all around - including guest services(this included food poising from eatin in one of teh specialty restaurants).

Good discussion.  When we first discovered the YC (on the Divina) we became instant fans and thought it was the best value in all of cruising (we cruise on many different lines).  However, like many good things, time does cause some change.  For those of us who are world travelers/cruisers, MSC is very limiting with its itineraries.  And as the YC has increased in price, we have found better "value" with several of the more upscale luxury lines.  We have no desire to take the short ferry-like itineraries that MSC has in Europe and their Caribbean itineraries (and 7 day cycles) are growing old.  

Funny thing happened to us a few months ago.  We were about to book a 14 day Yacht Club cruise (Dec 2024) for our usual short cruise we take between Thanksgiving and Christmas.  But then I spotted a Silversea cruise which was a much better real 14 day Caribbean itinerary, and we are talking about a luxury vessel with fewer than 400 souls (we love small ship cruising).  The Silversea cruise actually cost us less than it would have cost to book the YC!  Go figure.  How did this happen?  MSC has been gradually increasing the price of the YC, and for whatever reason, Silversea had a terrific deal in the Caribbean.  And for our YC friends I can only say that as much as we like the YC, MSC is not even in the same league as SS.

We will continue to try and find a way to squeeze a YC cruise into our schedule, but we are still finding the better values with the more upscale lines.  The industry (and pricing) is always changing, but at the moment we think that MSC has lost some of its advantage.  

Hank

3 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Good discussion.  And for our YC friends I can only say that as much as we like the YC, MSC is not even in the same league as SS.

Hank

Yep, good discussion.  Also, MSC (the sea ships with the Yacht Club and non-Yacht Club) was never intended to be in the same league as Silversea or any of such comparative competitor class of small ships.

So, although the prices are up since Divina first debuted, we find what the Yacht Club offers for the fare achieves their objective and satisfies ours when measured against the Haven and the Retreat.

We'd like to try some of the small luxury lines.  Booked and canceled Explora Journeys.  Pretty booked from South Florida until we head back north in June, so will look at Fall, post hurricane season, again at some of the other small ships of luxury lines (primarily out of Port Everglades, a mile away for us).

👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2023 at 8:50 AM, At Sea At Peace said:

😉  It's funny, sort of.

It's not delusional.  It happens across the cruise lines, so let's not single out MSC for the Yacht Club (or cruising for that matter; what hotel does one stay at in which some prefer a suite or club level with amenities?).  Some even desire more separation from the tenant serfs by cruising on uber luxury lines so as to not even come in contact with the undesirables at all.  😉

Historically, for cruising "Concierge Lounge" amenities and benefits has long accrued to the upper tier cruiser by number of cruises (for point tier status) to type of current cruise stateroom purchased (for immediate access, aka club-within-a-club, or for higher point-to-tier status).

IMO, MSC is at fault (i.e., takes the heat for the success) for doing it the best and for the best value in the Yacht Club while offering almost sub-Carnival fares for cruising experiences on an array of new ships out side of the Yacht Club.  Haven follows (IMO only, and outside the Haven NCL has a completely different product and fare) and the Retreat is trying to make the formula work (and having a hard time with their most loyal customers over butler team assignments, drink upcharges, etc.).

But the "Concierge Loungers" were the FORERUNNERS - - - across fleets.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles/concierge-lounges-7-big-ship-cruise-lines-with-vip-options

Celebrity has Michael's Club.

Disney (which charges enough on short trips to make 2-3 sailings in the MSC Yacht Club 😲 and it the ultimate separator by inequalities of wealth) has the Concierge Lounge.

Holland has the Neptune Lounge.

MSC has the Top Sail Lounge (in the Yacht Club)

NCL has its' Lounge in the Haven.

Princess has the Suite Passengers Lounge.

Royal Caribbean has the Concierge or Diamond Club Lounge.

Good thoughts here.

Wondering... can you share YC vs Haven... 

We are familiar with Celebrity and have sailed MSC only in YC and have only had great experiences. Trying to decide if we should try Haven--albeit--for a long sailing and am concerned it will eb a disappointment from YC.

Opinions?

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/28/2023 at 5:54 AM, dshroyer said:

Look at the stats for the harmony and compare to the Seashore.  Very similar passenger counts.  Yet the Harmony ship has almost 1K more crew members!  Are you saying that MSC can provide a similar customer experience with 1K less crew?

I do not understand how this can even be debatable. Seems like you are making excuses for MSC.

I think it is clear that MSC has a low-price strategy. And the way they implement that low price is via labor cuts.  (as compared to other lines) That is why the ships have less crew cabins.  It is their formula.  Nothing wrong with that.  Not saying that MSC is not a good value. But it is their business plan.

I agree that the other lines are also "packed" and there are also complaints about food.  BUT if you look at the other lines most of the aggregate customer ratings are in the high 3's or low 4's.  Seashore is 2.8 POOR.

The ship is beautiful.  What could make people rate is so low?

And please do not bring up the yacht club.  It is less than 5% of the ship and that is truly "cherry picking".  

I haven't read through the entire thread yet, but have you considered that perhaps part of the difference in review scores is due to the type of people MSC attracts with their cheaper cruises?

The cruise is filled with people who are paying a higher percentage of their household income for the cruise, so therefore they're expecting Cunard service on an MSC budget. 

I'm not saying the difference in staffing levels doesn't also contribute to this, but I suspect there's some of both in play.

I've never been on a cruise I didn't enjoy, but there's no denying that the class of passengers on MSC is a step below other lines. 

I'm okay with it and still enjoy MSC and the people I meet onboard, I just set my expectations accordingly as I prepare for the cruise. 

• Like 1

On 12/31/2023 at 1:34 PM, Hlitner said:

Good discussion.  When we first discovered the YC (on the Divina) we became instant fans and thought it was the best value in all of cruising (we cruise on many different lines).  However, like many good things, time does cause some change.  For those of us who are world travelers/cruisers, MSC is very limiting with its itineraries.  And as the YC has increased in price, we have found better "value" with several of the more upscale luxury lines.  We have no desire to take the short ferry-like itineraries that MSC has in Europe and their Caribbean itineraries (and 7 day cycles) are growing old.  

Funny thing happened to us a few months ago.  We were about to book a 14 day Yacht Club cruise (Dec 2024) for our usual short cruise we take between Thanksgiving and Christmas.  But then I spotted a Silversea cruise which was a much better real 14 day Caribbean itinerary, and we are talking about a luxury vessel with fewer than 400 souls (we love small ship cruising).  The Silversea cruise actually cost us less than it would have cost to book the YC!  Go figure.  How did this happen?  MSC has been gradually increasing the price of the YC, and for whatever reason, Silversea had a terrific deal in the Caribbean.  And for our YC friends I can only say that as much as we like the YC, MSC is not even in the same league as SS.

We will continue to try and find a way to squeeze a YC cruise into our schedule, but we are still finding the better values with the more upscale lines.  The industry (and pricing) is always changing, but at the moment we think that MSC has lost some of its advantage.  

Hank

Can you share what some of the big differences between YC and SS are? I'm very curious to hear. 

2 minutes ago, CruisematicVA said:

Can you share what some of the big differences between YC and SS are? I'm very curious to hear. 

I cannot answer your question since our upcoming SS cruise will be our first with that line.  But, we are regular Seabourn cruisers and are very comfortable with the smaller luxury line vessels.  For many years we had booked 14-21 days in MSC Yacht Club between our Thanksgiving and Christmas.  These are all  MSC 7 day cruises (back to backs or back to back to backs) to the usual Caribbean ports...most of which we do not even bother to get off the ship.  But this year when we looked at the pricing of MSCs 14 day cruise (to the same old places where we have little interest) we noticed that the Silver Shadow had a true 14 day cruise (not a back to back) for less money.  That is a no-brainer.  

What don't we embrace in MSC's Yacht Club is the cuisine...which we find good but nothing special.  That being said, we still like the YC and will likely be back sometime in the future.  Meanwhile we look forward to being on a SS ship with fewer than 400 passengers as opposed to 4000+ on MSC.

Hank