Stamping of Passport when arriving from Transatlantic Cruise into Europe

Explorer35

I need to watch my 90/180rule in the Schengen very closely. I travel in and out of the Netherlands a lot, as my mom lives there, and every time I exit, the border agent looks for the entry stamp into the EU Schengen Area. They make it a Big deal if they can not find it (thought everything was electronic nowadays, but apparently not).

I am going from New York to Rome, with first EU port of call into Ponta DelGada (Portugal).

Does anyone know where the entry stamp in my passport will be given, first entry port into Europe ? or upon disembarkation in Rome ?.

BTW: I called Norwegian Cruise Lines and they could not answer my question.

The reality is the stamp may not even happen (which can cause some real problems).  About 20 months ago we cruised on Seabourn from Florida to Monte Carlo with our first port of call being the Azores and than Lisbon.  There was no stamp added to our Passports.  When we disembarked at Monte Carlo, there was no Passport control or stamp.  A few weeks later when we were changing planes in Munich, the German authorities were very upset and asked for all kinds of proof we were legally in the EU (we had our cruise documents)  After nearly 10 minutes of hassles, the Germans let us through, but they were very unhappy (we told them to blame the Portuguese).  

According to rule, your first port of entry into a Schengen country should stamp the Passport with the usual entry stamp.  Whether that happens in anyone's guess.  

Hank

Back in 2019 we had no inked stamps added to our passports - UK Border folks updated their files electronically on the eastbound crossing, passports were listed as 'not required' for Hamburg, and for LeHavre passports were required, but not presented in the terminal - not even an electronic stamp.

Likely things would be different when disembarking instead of shore excursion day trips.

On our recent Prima cruise starting in the UK, our passports were NOT stamped in the Netherlands. They were NOT stamped in Norway. In Iceland, we had a sea day that was not on the original schedule because the ship would not tender in Isafjordur. On that day, passengers were called by decks to HAVE THEIR PAASPORTS STAMPED. There was an exception for those doing a back to back cruise since they had started in Iceland.

Passport stamping depends on many factors:

How the Official is feeling today

How busy they are at Immigration

How the Official land his wife are getting along.

How close it is to a meal break

Whether or not you smile at the Official

The passport you are presenting

It is really hit and miss - especially at a cruise port.

In March, I was on an MSC ship one way from Brazil to Portugal. There was no passport checks in either the Canary Islands, or Madeira.

Even though it took 4 hours to disembark in Lisbon, there was no passport check at all. That surprised me. Luckily, there was no issue that afternoon when going through passport control at the airport to fly back to the USA. (nor an exit stamp)

Aloha,

John

To be honest, it seems passport stamping is becoming less common in many areas of the world with digital systems keeping track of travelers being in compliance with their terms of entry into a foreign country.

Here are is a somewhat recent link:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-10-10/passport-stamps-phased-out-overseas-travel-technology/102933124