Meraviglia Brooklyn in March - Cold day pool areas?

Toddcan

Sailing on MSC for the first time in March out of Brooklyn on the Meraviglia.  Looking forward to it!  But, I want to make sure I'm understanding the options for the cold days until we get further south on the week long cruise.   Obviously, it will be cold/cool in NYC in March.  We sailed last year on the Anthem of the Seas which has an amazing solarium that was warm - so we spend 2-3 days there until it got warmer out.  

The bamboo pool has a covered roof on the Meraviglia - but from the many videos I've watched, it has a much different vibe than the Royal Solariums.  Firstly, the bamboo pool area is an all-ages area - not a problem.  We're expecting lots of kids and teens since it will be spring break for a lot of schools.   But, the odd part is that there doesn't appear to be many loungers - they mostly appear to be tables and chairs in the 2 decks of the Bamboo Pool area.   For those who have sailed out of Brooklyn in the cold/cool weather - is this area overcrowded on the cold days?  It just doesn't seem like the area to come and lay down and relax on a lounger like a Solarium is.   Not a bad thing - but I'm wondering if I understand this correctly.   

I know when the weather warms up, there is a small adult-only area on the back of the ship with a small pool and no shade - not very appealing?  

Anyways - please chime in if you sailed in cold weather and tell me about my odds of relaxing in a warm pool area for those cold days.  Ideally - in a lounger 🙂

Thanks in advance! 

I don't remember any loungers in this area, just tables and chairs. Yes, it gets very crowded in cold/bad weather. There is a large bar area, a few hot tubs always full, table tennis tables and the pool. 

• Thanks 1

Took a cruise out of Bayonne years ago and lost 2-3 days in the cold When I go on a Carribean cruise in the winter I expect it to be warm so I now leave out of Florida. It's a little discouraging when you watch them shoveling snow off the deck of the ship .Not a great way to start a cruise!!

1 hour ago, diesel1973 said:

Took a cruise out of Bayonne years ago and lost 2-3 days in the cold When I go on a Carribean cruise in the winter I expect it to be warm so I now leave out of Florida. It's a little discouraging when you watch them shoveling snow off the deck of the ship .Not a great way to start a cruise!!

For us, we drive from Canada (about 18hrs in driving), so it's a choice of driving in cold weather (which we don't mind at all), and staying in hotels, then cruising on a shorter ) 4-6 night cruise from Florida.  This is because it's Spring Break (my DW works in the schools), so we only have a week.  So, cruising in cold weather is better than driving in cold weather - that's how we see it.   We could, of course, fly to Florida but prices remain crazy high for that week. 

We sailed out of Bayonne last March on the Athemn of the Seas, and loved it, but that has a beautiful Adult-only Solarium that is nice and warm. 

We'll see in 2 months 

I live in Brooklyn. The cruise terminal is 15 mins from my apartment. I’ve gone in winter out of NYC and Bayonne.  I look for ships with indoor pools and other inside activities.  NCL is crap for cold, RCCL like Anthem have great solariums and other indoor pools/hot tubs etc. Meraveglia seems built for cold weather with an indoor pool so I’m giving it a go.  

Flying to Florida means losing a vacation day or two to travel, way easier to get directly on a ship right here in NYC! 

2 minutes ago, Tura Lura said:

I live in Brooklyn. The cruise terminal is 15 mins from my apartment. I’ve gone in winter out of NYC and Bayonne.  I look for ships with indoor pools and other inside activities.  NCL is crap for cold, RCCL like Anthem have great solariums and other indoor pools/hot tubs etc. Meraveglia seems built for cold weather with an indoor pool so I’m giving it a go.  

Flying to Florida means losing a vacation day or two to travel, way easier to get directly on a ship right here in NYC! 

ah, nice!   

Hey, since we are driving in from Canada (nice drive) and parking right at the port (expensive parking!!), can you give me any tips on crossing into NYC?  It will be Sunday morning, so should the traffic be decent?  We were just planning on following the GPS-Google Maps.  We're coming in from the west.  

Sunday morning the traffic shouldn’t be too bad. Are you looking to go into the city for sight seeing or just passing thru to get back home?  Honestly, I don’t drive so I know more about public transport than I do about the roads.   Google or Apple Maps should be accurate though.  I use them for subway/bus options as well.  Easiest way to get to nyc from red hook is the ferry but that’s just people, not cars. 🙂

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Toddcan said:

ah, nice!   

Hey, since we are driving in from Canada (nice drive) and parking right at the port (expensive parking!!), can you give me any tips on crossing into NYC?  It will be Sunday morning, so should the traffic be decent?  We were just planning on following the GPS-Google Maps.  We're coming in from the west.  

Terminal is in a old industrial area so Sunday early should be good. Other roads and bridges should be ok too. Going home should also be good as your on your way by 8am. Pay no attention to those check in times. We are taking same trip in May, have a great trip.

• Thanks 1

On 1/6/2024 at 12:02 PM, Tura Lura said:

Exactly! I'd rather spend a day on the ship than a day in airports and flying. And then you need to fly in a day early to be safe. I've cruised out of NY in winter a couple dozen times. The vast majority of the time it's already warming up nicely by early afternoon your first full day at sea. Love leaving a cold winter day in NY and cruising south. 

• Like 1

Went to Alaska first of May. While ship was moving, pretty cold outside. Our ship had a covered pool area also, however cold air constantly came in through the doors making the indoor area quote cold as well. 

I hope the Mareviglia has a better solution than our Princess Alaska ship. Nobody hung at pool area until ship was stopped in ports.

Good luck, maybe see y'all by the pool on March 17th!

I’ll be on this ship out of Brooklyn on the March 24-31 voyage- when are your dates? I have a similar concern as we’ll still be pretty north for the first sea day. I am seriously considering making it a spa day. The deals aren’t too bad for a basic massage if pre-purchased ($102 online for a swedish massage, I think thats not horrible), and its my understanding that you get access to the remainder of the spa if you book a service. My trip is during Spring Break so the ship will be packed. I don’t expect much from the solarium area on the first sea day. 

On 1/6/2024 at 12:07 PM, Toddcan said:

ah, nice!   

Sunday morning traffic will be a breeze.  The only traffic you're likely to encounter around midtown on a Sunday would be the matinee theatre crowd, but that usually only affects anyone exiting the Lincoln Tunnel in the early afternoon. If your GPS routes you via the GWB (George Washington Bridge) or the Holland, you'll be fine. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Neotericisis said:

I’ll be on this ship out of Brooklyn on the March 24-31 voyage- when are your dates? I have a similar concern as we’ll still be pretty north for the first sea day. I am seriously considering making it a spa day. The deals aren’t too bad for a basic massage if pre-purchased ($102 online for a swedish massage, I think thats not horrible), and its my understanding that you get access to the remainder of the spa if you book a service. My trip is during Spring Break so the ship will be packed. I don’t expect much from the solarium area on the first sea day. 

We're earlier in March 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scamper said:

Sunday morning traffic will be a breeze.  The only traffic you're likely to encounter around midtown on a Sunday would be the matinee theatre crowd, but that usually only affects anyone exiting the Lincoln Tunnel in the early afternoon. If your GPS routes you via the GWB (George Washington Bridge) or the Holland, you'll be fine. 

Having NEVER driven anywhere near NYC , I'd love to take a bridge in rather than the tunnels, but we're coming from The Poconos area, so that might not be the natural route over the GWB.  I'll see if I can coax the GPS to take me that way just to get a little better view of "NYC".  Mind you, the views from the ship should be good.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Toddcan said:

Having NEVER driven anywhere near NYC , I'd love to take a bridge in rather than the tunnels, but we're coming from The Poconos area, so that might not be the natural route over the GWB.  I'll see if I can coax the GPS to take me that way just to get a little better view of "NYC".  Mind you, the views from the ship should be good.  

I did a mock routing on Google Maps out of curiosity.  Not knowing where in the Poconos you are, I just programmed Wilkes-Barre to Red Hook.  Took me in through the Lincoln.  I think the easiest way to program a trip from your location to the GWB; input either GWB or Ft. Lee.  Wait until you're over the bridge and then program from that location to Red Hook.  I have only been over the bridge three or four times.  I think eastbound traffic was mostly on the lower level.  Not great for the view, but you could try for better luck driving back that way and getting the upper deck.  It's a crapshoot which level.

• Thanks 1