Returning to Carnival, first time Sunshine

On 1/5/2024 at 9:39 AM, ninjacat123 said:

I love Sunshine (Serenity is awesome!) and definitely go to JiJi's for dinner!! We usually book two dinners at JiJi's during a week cruise, it's that tasty and the service is great.  We also enjoyed Cucina del Capitano.

Remember that each adult is allowed to bring on board a bottle of wine or champagne at Embarkation. That's four bottles for the four of you.  Also there is Cruising the Vineyards which gives you a discount on a wine package.  My upcoming cruise this January 15 on Freedom (so close😃) I am planning on getting a five bottle wine package, the premium is $193 and the regular wine package is $126 (not including the 18% gratuity).

Have a wonderful cruise!!

How much is JiJi's pp and are young children allowed?  What about a corkage fee for that wine?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Iamthesea said:

How much is JiJi's pp and are young children allowed?  What about a corkage fee for that wine?

Here's the info from Carnival's site:

https://www.carnival.com/cruise-food/ji-ji-asian-kitchen-dinner

FYI, when I have gone there with my adult DDs the food is served family style.  Never been with kids 11 and under so I don't know how that goes, but it's always a ton of food.  Yum yum!!

Edited by ninjacat123
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

https://www.carnival.com/cruise-food/ji-ji-asian-kitchen-dinner

no corkage for wine purchased onboard.

"Remember that each adult is allowed to bring on board a bottle of wine or champagne at Embarkation."

Thank you for the food link.  My grandchildren are 11 and under.  Hopefully they are allowed.  They love Asian food.

45 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

"Remember that each adult is allowed to bring on board a bottle of wine or champagne at Embarkation."

Thank you for the food link.  My grandchildren are 11 and under.  Hopefully they are allowed.  They love Asian food.

If you take your wine bottle into any dining venue, they will charge a corkage fee, even if you have already opened it and pour it yourself. Just had this happen on Sunshine. The way around this is to pour yourself a generous glass before going to dinner and walk in with the glass. This is our usual routine, but forgot before dinner one night and after we were seated at the table, I ran to the room and just grabbed the open bottle. The waiter was chasing me down as I made my way back to the table to let me know there would be a corkage fee.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

Bottles you bring onboard will be charged a corkage if you want them to serve it to you in the restaurants.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

I am trying to find out what the corkage fee is? 😉

you can google "carnival corkage" and it is literally the first result.

You've all been so helpful.  I do have a couple more questions.  As I said earlier, it's been a long time since we cruised out of Charleston.  We plan to drive there (from Charlotte) the day before.

How is parking at the cruise terminal?  I believe I read it's free with a handicap tag?  My wife has one for her back.

How is the terminal for check-in and embarking?  Any suggestion on best times to get there?  What time you can board?   How long until you can drop carry-ons in room?

OK, that's more than a couple questions.

1 hour ago, TominNC said:

You've all been so helpful.  I do have a couple more questions.  As I said earlier, it's been a long time since we cruised out of Charleston.  We plan to drive there (from Charlotte) the day before.

How is parking at the cruise terminal?  I believe I read it's free with a handicap tag?  My wife has one for her back.

How is the terminal for check-in and embarking?  Any suggestion on best times to get there?  What time you can board?   How long until you can drop carry-ons in room?

OK, that's more than a couple questions.

Yes handicap parking is free in SC as long as the handicapped person is in the car.

When you check in online you will choose a port arrival appointment. If you arrive at the pier outside of that time, you will be waiting outside until they process everyone who arrived on time.

Cabins are ready usually around 1:30.

• Like 2

It is not a typical terminal, but a makeshift terminal. They operate it very efficiently, though. Have your tag out and they will wave you through without paying. Then porters will take your luggage right out of the back of your car before you park. Be sure to have your carry ons separate with all your documentation and medicine. You will drive around the parking lot in a little maze but the people waving you on will see your tag and wave you to the right spot. There aren’t spots specifically marked handicapped. 
You will walk or take a little shuttle or tram that is roaming the lot if walking is an issue to a warehouse where you check in. Once checked in you will take a bus to the terminal. It is a short distance but you must take the bus. Here you will go through security and then get on the ship. You must walk up a ramp several flights. If walking is an issue, request a wheelchair when you get to the warehouse check in place. You will see signs. They will wheel you through the check in warehouse to the bus and will have another ready for you at the terminal that will get you through that process and into a special elevator entrance to the ship. 
Hope that helps 

• Like 1