Pacific coast ports general excursion questions.

Hello, we are investigating a couple different cruises for this fall and hoping we could get some information on the following ports. Generally, we prefer to do excursions on our own, as we find them more intimate and cost effective. However, from our previous cruises, i understand this isn't always the best option. I was hoping someone could answer the following questions on the ports below. 1) is it walkable from the port to attractions 2) is public transit easily available and easy to use. 3) or is an organized excursion recommended.  Once we decide on a cruise, i will of course do a lot of my own research but i was just hoping for some general help from people who have been to these ports. The cruise line would be NCL if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance.

Astoria.

San Francisco.

Santa Barbara.

Ensenada, Mexico.

San Diego.

Los Angeles.

1 hour ago, Lambo62 said:

Astoria: small town and certainly walkable, I have read the excursions are pretty weak, and getting a taxi or Uber can be hit or miss as there aren't many. 

San Francisco: defiantly walkable, public transit very available (HQ of Uber/Lyft), must do Alcatraz needs to be booked months in advance if doing on your own, if overnight do the nighttime tour very creepy.   

Santa Barbara: Walkable and unless you want to do a wine tasting tour excursions are lacking.  The Ronald Reagan museum is worth a visit.

Ensenada, Mexico: short shuttle into downtown tourist area then walkable, excursions are mostly about the wines, street tacos, and cheese.  I have a private driver we use that will pick you up and take on your own tour.  The good tasting rooms are probably a little to far out for the normal port stops duration. 

San Diego: probably the most walkable of any stop, plenty to see just a short walk away from the pier or short ride to the Zoo.  Do your own thing.   

Los Angeles: not even close to being walkable to anything, either use the ships excursions or plan your own in advance.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Lambo62 said:

Astoria.

San Francisco.

Santa Barbara.

Ensenada, Mexico.

San Diego.

Los Angeles.

All depends on what you really want to do in each port.  My comments are based on what WE have done while on port stops (we've visited all of these places many times...even lived in some).

Astoria:  It's a small town.  You can walk around to shops and restaurants or to the Maritime Museum.  Last visit, we took a nice excursion to the old Lewis And Clark fort and to the Astoria Column.  Made for a nice visit.  I've seen shorexes offered to Mt. St, Helens, but its a long ride for a port day.

San Francisco:  There is a lot walkable since it docks near Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39...but those are very touristy endless gift shops and restaurants...But you can also get Alcatraz and Harbor boat tours from there.  When we stop there on our May Coastal, we'll likely wander around on our own.  Might head to a good Dim Sum lunch (reachable by Cable Car, bus or Uber).  Last visit, we took a great non-ship Winery Tour with an outfit called "Edge of the World Tours".  Took us to four really good small wineries in Sonoma, free time for lunch in historic, picturesque Sonoma and in Sausalito.  You could also take a shorex to Muir Woods.

Santa Barbara (I used to live here and it's an hour from where I live now):  The Downtown area is walkable...head up State Street from the tender dock.  The Mission, Zoo and other attractions are a little further away.  If I were stopping here, I would seriously consider some sort of winery tour up to the Santa Ynez Valley/Solvang area.  Solvang is a touristy little Danish town.  The San Marcos Pass to get there is quite scenic...and the wineries in this area are excellent.  I would look for a local private tour provider for this.

Ensenada:  You can walk or take a shuttle to Downtown and shop for all sorts of junk...or eat tacos...or drink Margaritas. (The Margarita was invented here--at a bar called Hussong's Cantina).  My thing EVERY time we visit over the past several years is to do the ship's shorex to the Guadalupe Valley for Wine Tasting.  Avoid the Bufadora (the blowhole).  Disappointing and crowded with pushy street vendors.

San Diego (we used to have a beach house in La Jolla):  Last couple cruise port stops (Princess last year, then Celebrity last month), we booked the shorexes to the Safari Park.  BOTH times, both cruise lines, they canceled this shorex after we boarded the ship!  Ended up going to the Zoo instead.  It's a great zoo, but we really wanted to go to the Safari Park since we hadn't been in a while and it's pretty different.  If you want to walk, the "Gaslamp District" is a few blocks away...but, again, it's basically shops and restaurants.  Public Transportation is good, so you can also do the Zoo/Balboa Park on your own...or "Old Town"/the Mission, etc.  You can also pick up Harbor tours, see an old Navy ship and such right near the pier.

Los Angeles:  Is this your disembarkation port?  Note that the harbor is nowhere near most of the local attractions...You are 30 miles from Disney, Hollywood or Santa Monica--all in different directions,  

Hope this helps.

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 1

I'm originally from L.A. and the tour to the La Brea Tar Pits (if you're into that) is definitely good.  Not sure if NCL has that one as I only know that Princess does...everything (as stated above by others) is quite a distance from the pier so I'd look in to a ship excursion.  The beaches are a good option obviously 😄 and in Long Beach there's an aquarium near the beach. Santa Monica pier is a good time as well but you'll need either an excursion or transportation for everything...

• Like 1

Others have provided answers but just a few comments --

What was termed the "Maritime Museum" in Astoria is actually the Columbia River Maritime Museum, and it is well worth the visit.  We generally walk to it and then stop at the Astoria Brewing Company on the return for a nice lunch and a flight of their beers.

What is described as "an old Navy ship" in post #4 is actually the U.S.S. Midway.  Since our first visit to the Midway in 2012 or so more and more of this fascinating aircraft carrier have been opened.  Admission price includes an extremely well done audio tour.  A number of interesting aircraft are on display as well.  A simple cafe is also on board.  We plan on arriving shortly after opening and spend a full day there.

Also on the water front is the Maritime Museum of San Diego.  Also worth a visit.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

Others have provided answers but just a few comments --

What was termed the "Maritime Museum" in Astoria is actually the Columbia River Maritime Museum, and it is well worth the visit.  We generally walk to it and then stop at the Astoria Brewing Company on the return for a nice lunch and a flight of their beers.

What is described as "an old Navy ship" in post #4 is actually the U.S.S. Midway.  Since our first visit to the Midway in 2012 or so more and more of this fascinating aircraft carrier have been opened.  Admission price includes an extremely well done audio tour.  A number of interesting aircraft are on display as well.  A simple cafe is also on board.  We plan on arriving shortly after opening and spend a full day there.

Also on the water front is the Maritime Museum of San Diego.  Also worth a visit.

Amen...

• Like 1

On 1/7/2024 at 3:48 PM, butterfly4108 said:

I'm originally from L.A. and the tour to the La Brea Tar Pits (if you're into that) is definitely good.  

100% agree with seeing the La Brea Tar Pits no other place like it.  

• Like 1

On 1/7/2024 at 3:39 PM, Bruin Steve said:

It's a great zoo, but we really wanted to go to the Safari Park since we hadn't been in a while and it's pretty different. 

Totally agree, I would do the Safari Park any day instead of the zoo.  We did the Safarivan extra tour there and it was awesome.  We handfeed the giraffes and got within several feet of rino babies.   

On 1/7/2024 at 3:39 PM, Bruin Steve said:

Ensenada:    My thing EVERY time we visit over the past several years is to do the ship's shorex to the Guadalupe Valley for Wine Tasting.  

Valle de Guadalupe has some very good wines, I'm sure the cruise ship excursions are taking people to the big touristy locations.  Most of the excellent ones aren't really large enough to host tours.  But it's certainly worth going if it's your only option.  Cost at most for tasting and food can now rival Napa Valley.  La Estancia is one of our favorites for wine and food, but it's not cheap.           

• 1 month later...