BOS to VCE around August 19th then Barcelona to BOS September 3rd - need help

getab0at

Hi

Family is doing their first trip to Europe with a cruise on Norwegian.    Have used JetBlue, American and Delta before but am not familiar with any of the other airlines.    I have been looking to see if it will be cheaper to book my own flights versus using Norwegian even with one of the 3 airfares being 'free'.     We will be going a day or more earlier so can't use their transfers.     

What I am looking for is suggestions for airlines and apps that can help me determine my best options for flights.    Also comments on what is the shortest amount of layover time you feel is required.    

Thank you!!

Posted (edited)

I use momondo.com to get an overview of options, but most often buy tickets directly from the airline.
Regarding the lay-over, I trust that the airlines indicate a correct transfer time. If changing flight in Europe, luggage is checked through to the final destination - flying back to USA customs processing takes place at the first airport - therefore I often choose that the transatlantic flight to the USA is to the final destination if possible.

Edited by hallasm

If I get a flight from BOS to PHL then from PHL to Venice were do I go through customs?    It is only a 1 and 1/2 hour layover in PHL but the price is pretty good.   I used google fly - that so far has shown me the best options.    I did look abit on that ita as well.    I think TAP was the best airline for price and times using that but using google fly it was american airlines and british airways.   

35 minutes ago, getab0at said:

If I get a flight from BOS to PHL then from PHL to Venice were do I go through customs?

Your luggage will be checked through to VCE - customs in VCE. 1 1/2 hour for transfer in PHL will be fine. 

If same route back customs and immigration in PHL.

18 hours ago, muffydawg said:

Regarding lay-overs: I strive for a minimum of a 3 hour layover in Europe and 2.5 in US no matter which airline I fly.

Just curious why longer in Europe that the US? To me it entirely depends on the airport. I would take 45 minutes on Munich over 90 minutes at JFK, and I would take 45 minutes at DFW over 90 minutes at Heathrow. And, of course, if there's any immigration/customs/security/terminal change to deal with. 

18 hours ago, getab0at said:

If I get a flight from BOS to PHL then from PHL to Venice were do I go through customs?  

Just an FYI, customs and immigration are entirely different things that often get mistaken. Immigration cares about you as a person, and customs cares about what you're bringing in. Immigration checks your passport to make sure you can legally enter the country, and customs makes sure you aren't bringing any goods that you shouldn't (or shouldn't without paying). In the case of PHL-VCE, they would take place at the same location (VCE), but in many cases that's not the case...for example, if you fly PHL-CDG-VCE, you would clear immigration at CDG and customs at VCE. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

Just an FYI, customs and immigration are entirely different things that often get mistaken. Immigration cares about you as a person, and customs cares about what you're bringing in. Immigration checks your passport to make sure you can legally enter the country, and customs makes sure you aren't bringing any goods that you shouldn't (or shouldn't without paying). In the case of PHL-VCE, they would take place at the same location (VCE), but in many cases that's not the case...for example, if you fly PHL-CDG-VCE, you would clear immigration at CDG and customs at VCE. 

Plus, in Europe, Customs is extremely simple...the red/green system that takes literally seconds if you have nothing to declare. Immigration (called Passport Check in Europe) can be a slow process and is much more complicated.