One day in Barcelona: GOTHIC DISTRICT and surroundings

One day in Barcelona: GOTHIC DISTRICT and surroundings

It is the most visited area of Barcelona par excellence. For reasons of distance we are going to include very close areas that are not specifically the Gothic quarter (that is, from Las Ramblas to Via Laietana)

It is the oldest area of the city. Let us remember that the origins of Barcelona are from the Roman Empire (it was called "Barcino" in Latin).

The HO-HO tour bus DOES NOT GO THROUGH ANY OF THESE SITES. It only has nearby stops but you will have to do all this on foot, whether you go on your own, if you go by tourist bus or if you go by taxi.

DISTANCE TO TRAVEL

Starting and arriving from Plaza de Colon, walking along the entire Rambla (not just part of it) and crossing all these points is more than five kilometers walking.

Keep this in mind when planning visits to other things because everything you visit is really worth it (Barcelona has a lot to visit) and if you are visiting on a cruise it will take you the entire day without traveling to other places.

If you are in Barcelona before or after a cruise, you will surely end up tired of this day. You can plan more things but as long as they are quiet and without walking.

HOW TO GET

From the cruise it is very, very, very easy.

The Plaza de Colon, the point where you will start and arrive, is where the shuttle that runs through the port of Barcelona ends, at the cruise ship docks, with the first point where there is public transport but also the beginning of the Rambla.

This will be where you will start walking (on the Rambla itself)

Except for some cases such as the Rambla and Via Laietana, they will all be narrow streets and without public transport.

In these streets (and those that surround the entire area) there are buses and you can take taxis.

You also have these metro stops
Drassanes, Liceu, Catalunya, Jaume I, Barceloneta.

Drassanes (translated as Dockyards) is next to the port. It's where you'll start and end
Liceu (Lyceum) is in the middle of the Rambla
Catalunya is in Plaza Cataluña, the largest in the city, on the other side of the Rambla
Jaume I is on Via Laietana, near the cathedral
Barceloneta is between Francia station and the port.

What can we see?

1- Cathedral

image.png.302f77855538d0be7bf1823571015ee6.png

2- Plaza del rey (King's Square)
Monumental complex from the Middle Ages with the royal palace, royal chapel of Saint Agatha and.... we are even going to go back to Roman Barcino. Here we have Roman walls.

image.png.b0d4f63a3904b3a66d13b03393d14a97.png

3- Calle y puente del Obispo (Obispo Street and Bridge)
Cobblestone street, one of the best-known sights of medieval Barcelona

image.png.54a7924459098064ba206e652f855333.png

4- Plaza Sant Jaume (Plaza San Jaime)
It houses the central buildings of Barcelona City Council and the Government of Catalonia. Due to its central location in the neighborhood, it hosts many of the events that are organized.

image.png.f811108ae0322fd56ffd60a38d38d140.png

5- Basilica Santa María del Pi

image.png.26556661830a387ff070165ceabbf9be.png

6- The Rambla
This street needs no introduction. Going through it is an obligation.
In it you will have the Miró Mosaic, Chinese dragon from the House of Umbrellas, the historic and fantastic Liceo Theater, Wax Museum, etc...
It is the street par excellence of Barcelona.

7- Boquería Market
It is very close to the Rambla. Plan a visit to him.

8- Royal Square (Plaza Real)
The favorite place for both street artists and terraces if you want to sit down and rest a little.

image.png.d7051909768214ccda94eaa1d8f41fa2.png

and next to it you will have the Born neighborhood, also of medieval origin

9- Born neighborhood (Barrio del Born)
Walk along Princess Street and Montcada Street

image.thumb.png.62d8c61c0ce184fd7c6c459efce79a73.png

10- Picasso Museum.
It is on Montcada Street. You will pass by

image.thumb.png.e4c63dc230e369ba69821716d6a3d0f6.png

11- Basilica of Santa María del Mar

image.png.12ebf67aa7e927288ef379cb60ac293c.png

12- France Station (Estación de Francia)
It is a historic station where trains still arrive. The first railway station in Spain was located at this point.

image.thumb.png.75916536a49683523c6bdc06d206cf4b.png

13- Moll de la Fusta (Wood Dock)
In 1992, for the Barcelona Olympic Games, several parts of the city were recovered. The highway that surrounds Barcelona passes underneath and part of the port, which was used exclusively for industrial use until then, was recovered to be able to walk around.

image.png.1a9ee0c6bff035cf40ab99d1f58fc52c.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...

It is very usual to see "human statues" in Las Ramblas in Barcelona.

They will stay motionless for a while and they will just change a bit their position and will remain.

Enjoy them. You can take pics and anything except disturbing them

Do not forget to tip them.

Here there are some samples

Una estatua viviente en La Rambla / EFE

Estatuas Vivientes en La Rambla de Barcelona - YouTube

Barcelona limitará las estatuas humanas de La Rambla

Las Ramblas en venta - Tejiendo Mapas

• Thanks 1

We have really enjoyed a couple of stays at the Hotel Colon, which is directly across from the Cathedral in the Gothic Quarter.  The hotel even has rooms with a Cathedral-view.  The location gives folks easy access, for walking, to both the gothic quarter and Ramblas.

Hank

• Like 1

If you are there on a Sunday, the people (dance afficionados) dance the Sardana in the plaza outside the Cathedral.

Anyone who is interested on a walking tour of the Gothic Quarter should look up the "free" tours given by Runner Bean. 

• Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 3:17 PM, alserrod said:

It is very usual to see "human statues" in Las Ramblas in Barcelona.

They will stay motionless for a while and they will just change a bit their position and will remain.

Enjoy them. You can take pics and anything except disturbing them

Do not forget to tip them.

Here there are some samples

Una estatua viviente en La Rambla / EFE

Estatuas Vivientes en La Rambla de Barcelona - YouTube

Barcelona limitará las estatuas humanas de La Rambla

Las Ramblas en venta - Tejiendo Mapas

I really appreciate all the insight you and others post here on this board. I’ve been reading a lot and getting my bearings. We are landing in Barcelona Aug. 2, noon time and not getting on the ship until Aug. 4. I’m thinking of staying in the Gothic quarter and getting La Ramblas seen the afternoon and night of the 2nd. The 3rd will be La Sagurda Familia & Parc Guell by tour. And then the morning of the 4th heading to El Born. Do you think that’s too ambitious? Would you alter that itinerary in any way? I know there’s so much to see and do, but at this point, I feel like that will at least give us the overall Barcelona experience. I’m not really a HOHO bus girl. I rather see a few highlights fully and experience the culture on the ground. 

57 minutes ago, MeganGC1983 said:

I really appreciate all the insight you and others post here on this board. I’ve been reading a lot and getting my bearings. We are landing in Barcelona Aug. 2, noon time and not getting on the ship until Aug. 4. I’m thinking of staying in the Gothic quarter and getting La Ramblas seen the afternoon and night of the 2nd. The 3rd will be La Sagurda Familia & Parc Guell by tour. And then the morning of the 4th heading to El Born. Do you think that’s too ambitious? Would you alter that itinerary in any way? I know there’s so much to see and do, but at this point, I feel like that will at least give us the overall Barcelona experience. I’m not really a HOHO bus girl. I rather see a few highlights fully and experience the culture on the ground. 

Hello:

Is it possible?. Yes of course but I would make some changes. I am very surprised with your timetable.

Just consider you could be a bit tired with jet lag but... obviously on August 2nd evening you can visit Gothic quarter.

You can get all ideas I posted in the first post here. If I were you I would print them on Google Maps and decide a walk tour no longer than 3 km. It is what I do with my family. No longer than 3 km for after lunch. 5 km maximum for a whole day.

In some cases I have split something using public transport... but you would not be able here. The only area you can split is Las Ramblas (using underground) and.... do not make it!!!. It is essential.

But... providing you do not land too tired in Barcelona, go easy to hotel and have lunch, all I have posted here is available for you.

Second day... ok, La Sagrada Familia (sa-gra-da, I do not know what does it happen with that word, most of people misspell. It means "sacred"). And after, Parque Güell  (two points over the U. That makes prononciation absolutely different than without it).

But... If you wake up early you can do these two things in the morning. For how long are you going to be inside the Sagrada Familia?. 2 hours is enough

If you book at 9:00, you have finished... by lunch time. Remember lunch time in Spain is at 14:00, not at 12:00  (and you will understand some strange schedules in the cruise later).

So... you will have afternoon and evening of August 3rd for free. Try to focus in another corner

August 4th... I do not know that will be your embarkation time but surely you will be able to visit some corner too.

I loved Born quarter.... but I pointed in this first post joined with Gothic quarter because they are so near...

Decide if you visit at once, or in two days

PS. I do not love HOHO buses too

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, alserrod said:

Hello:

Is it possible?. Yes of course but I would make some changes. I am very surprised with your timetable.

Just consider you could be a bit tired with jet lag but... obviously on August 2nd evening you can visit Gothic quarter.

You can get all ideas I posted in the first post here. If I were you I would print them on Google Maps and decide a walk tour no longer than 3 km. It is what I do with my family. No longer than 3 km for after lunch. 5 km maximum for a whole day.

In some cases I have split something using public transport... but you would not be able here. The only area you can split is Las Ramblas (using underground) and.... do not make it!!!. It is essential.

But... providing you do not land too tired in Barcelona, go easy to hotel and have lunch, all I have posted here is available for you.

Second day... ok, La Sagrada Familia (sa-gra-da, I do not know what does it happen with that word, most of people misspell. It means "sacred"). And after, Parque Güell  (two points over the U. That makes prononciation absolutely different than without it).

But... If you wake up early you can do these two things in the morning. For how long are you going to be inside the Sagrada Familia?. 2 hours is enough

If you book at 9:00, you have finished... by lunch time. Remember lunch time in Spain is at 14:00, not at 12:00  (and you will understand some strange schedules in the cruise later).

So... you will have afternoon and evening of August 3rd for free. Try to focus in another corner

August 4th... I do not know that will be your embarkation time but surely you will be able to visit some corner too.

I loved Born quarter.... but I pointed in this first post joined with Gothic quarter because they are so near...

Perfect. Thank you. We usually take meds and sleep on the plane so we can hit the ground running. I will definitely take everything you said into account. Thanks again. 

11 minutes ago, MeganGC1983 said:

Perfect. Thank you. We usually take meds and sleep on the plane so we can hit the ground running. I will definitely take everything you said into account. Thanks again. 

Keep in mind you can program more things

and I would do

August 2nd afternoon and evening: La Sagrada Familia and Parque Güell

August 3rd morning, afternoon and evening:   Gothic quarter and El Born quarter

August 4th morning:  ????

You can go to Montjuic to know the mountain on August 4th. You will not have enough time to entry into sites but enough to walk and have a different view over Barcelona

• Thanks 1

I am looking for advise for our cruise in November. I do not know at this time what time we will arrive in Barcelona on 11/24. Our Cruise starts on 11/26. My husband has back issues so he can't walk to much or be on his feet for long periods of time. If he can sit now and then that helps. I definitely want to do La Sagrada Familia which I want to do on the 25th. Is there any tours that take you by some of the Gaudi buildings? If I book a tour including Guell Park would that be took much walking and standing for my husband? Our hotel is by Catalunya Plaza so not sure what is near by. I am hoping on the 24th to try and stroll some of La Rambles. Another question is how far is the cruise port from Catalunya Plaza and are taxis easy to get or should I book private transportation. I appreciate any suggestions and information as I want to get a good taste of Barcelona. TIA

Ellen

9 hours ago, brer111 said:

I am looking for advise for our cruise in November. I do not know at this time what time we will arrive in Barcelona on 11/24. Our Cruise starts on 11/26. My husband has back issues so he can't walk to much or be on his feet for long periods of time. If he can sit now and then that helps. I definitely want to do La Sagrada Familia which I want to do on the 25th. Is there any tours that take you by some of the Gaudi buildings? If I book a tour including Guell Park would that be took much walking and standing for my husband? Our hotel is by Catalunya Plaza so not sure what is near by. I am hoping on the 24th to try and stroll some of La Rambles. Another question is how far is the cruise port from Catalunya Plaza and are taxis easy to get or should I book private transportation. I appreciate any suggestions and information as I want to get a good taste of Barcelona. TIA

Ellen

I suggest you visit the accessible Barcelona page.

You will know, better than anyone, how far he can walk and where he can go.

Very briefly:
- there are monuments fully accessible for wheelchairs (and therefore for other people who have difficulty walking)
- there are some metro stations fully accessible by elevator. All of lines 2, 9, 10 and 11 are accessible and quite a few on other lines. This allows you to go down to the platform from the street by elevator and not have to use stairs, etc...
- however, the most beautiful part requires a little walking. In a taxi you could see something but not much. If you tell me what is the maximum distance I could walk, I will suggest one route or another to see. And... the smallest streets are the most beautiful.

About the rest you mention:
- Plaza Cataluña / Plaça Catalunya (in Spanish and Catalan, you will see it in both languages) is absolutely the center of the city. Linguistic tip: Plaza means Square.
- To go to the port, taxi. There are no difficulties in taking one but you can ask the hotel reception to call one if you wish.

In this post you have information about taxis in Barcelona and what it will cost you to get to the port (it is relatively little. The port is close to the center)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2976917-transport-in-barcelona-taxi-metro-bus-etc-to-the-city-port-and-airport-all-information-and-questions/

9 hours ago, brer111 said:

Ellen

Hello again

I have found this information that may help you

https://www.barcelona-access.com/ACCESSIBLE/Productes-i-serveis/Productes-i-Serveis---Visites-i-Tours/_qTOdJvTDy-LURzMNAmRT2Ay0lflu6EuhquLW1e03m-IhwDOw6tQSpsAI68a7f2RPVAFjjtyz_94mYbJd5ejR3w

Barcelona tourism office offers a walking guided tour for reduced mobility people.

10:00 daily in English

12:00 daily in Spanish

Duration:  1:00, no more than 1:15

It starts from Plaça Sant Jaume, in front of Barcelona town hall

It takes 600m according to google maps.

Try to call them or email them. I think it is interesting

https://www.barcelona-access.com/ACCESSIBLE/Productes-i-serveis/Productes-i-Serveis---Visites-i-Tours/_qTOdJvTDy-LURzMNAmRT2Ay0lflu6EuhquLW1e03m-IhwDOw6tQSpsAI68a7f2RPVAFjjtyz_94mYbJd5ejR3w

I have posted the itinerary here

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Pl.+de+Sant+Jaume,+Ciutat+Vella,+08002+Barcelona/C.+del+Bisbe,+Ciutat+Vella,+08002+Barcelona/C.+de+los+Condes,+Ciutat+Vella,+08002+Barcelona/Plaça+de+Sant+lu,+Ciutat+Vella,+08002+Barcelona/Plaza+del+Rey,+Pl.+del+Rei,+s%2Fn,+Ciutat+Vella,+08002+Barcelona/Carrer+de+la+Llibreteria,+Ciutat+Vella,+08002+Barcelona/Plaça+de+Sant+Jaume,+Barcelona/@41.3835015,2.1745042,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m44!4m43!1m5!1m1!1s0x12a4a2f8f8f73b8d:0x53942bc949bf1452!2m2!1d2.1772461!2d41.3827978!1m5!1m1!1s0x12a4a2f9b17cd0cf:0xec8f33a36203db2c!2m2!1d2.1762226!2d41.3834647!1m5!1m1!1s0x12a4a2f9a6d28929:0xa8fa0a6c43eab1c1!2m2!1d2.1767827!2d41.3841619!1m5!1m1!1s0x12a4a2f9a7535dc3:0x8e1208033caf30f1!2m2!1d2.1769358!2d41.3841155!1m5!1m1!1s0x12a4a2f90c49a327:0x5afcc89c7d7eb3fb!2m2!1d2.1773472!2d41.38416!1m5!1m1!1s0x12a4a2f9028ae3ad:0xbbc7bb26f1dc1fb6!2m2!1d2.1774305!2d41.3832747!1m5!1m1!1s0x12a4a2f8f8f73b8d:0x53942bc949bf1452!2m2!1d2.1772461!2d41.3827978!3e2?entry=ttu

Edited by alserrod

What a fantastic area of Barcelona to walk around! We liked so much Calle Avinyo with its boutiques and great cocktail at "La Burnessa" bar.  La Sagrada Familia a must!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/26/2024 at 9:21 AM, alserrod said:

Hello again

I have found this information that may help you

Barcelona tourism office offers a walking guided tour for reduced mobility people.

10:00 daily in English

12:00 daily in Spanish

Duration:  1:00, no more than 1:15

It starts from Plaça Sant Jaume, in front of Barcelona town hall

It takes 600m according to google maps.

Try to call them or email them. I think it is interesting

I have posted the itinerary here

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Pl.+de+Sant+Jaume,+Ciutat+Vella,+08002+Barcelona/C.+del+Bisbe,+Ciutat+Vella,+08002+Barcelona/C.+de+los+Condes,+Ciutat+Vella,+08002+Barcelona/Plaça+de+Sant+lu,+Ciutat+Vella,+08002+Barcelona/Plaza+del+Rey,+Pl.+del+Rei,+s%2Fn,+Ciutat+Vella,+08002+Barcelona/Carrer+de+la+Llibreteria,+Ciutat+Vella,+08002+Barcelona/Plaça+de+Sant+Jaume,+Barcelona/@41.3835015,2.1745042,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m44!4m43!1m5!1m1!1s0x12a4a2f8f8f73b8d:0x53942bc949bf1452!2m2!1d2.1772461!2d41.3827978!1m5!1m1!1s0x12a4a2f9b17cd0cf:0xec8f33a36203db2c!2m2!1d2.1762226!2d41.3834647!1m5!1m1!1s0x12a4a2f9a6d28929:0xa8fa0a6c43eab1c1!2m2!1d2.1767827!2d41.3841619!1m5!1m1!1s0x12a4a2f9a7535dc3:0x8e1208033caf30f1!2m2!1d2.1769358!2d41.3841155!1m5!1m1!1s0x12a4a2f90c49a327:0x5afcc89c7d7eb3fb!2m2!1d2.1773472!2d41.38416!1m5!1m1!1s0x12a4a2f9028ae3ad:0xbbc7bb26f1dc1fb6!2m2!1d2.1774305!2d41.3832747!1m5!1m1!1s0x12a4a2f8f8f73b8d:0x53942bc949bf1452!2m2!1d2.1772461!2d41.3827978!3e2?entry=ttu

Hi @Sussexboy

I think this is what you are looking for.

Everyday in Barcelona centre there is an official guided tour through Gothic quarter for disabled.

When I say "official" is because it is managed by Tourism Office directly.

It takes only 600m walking and it gets the best of Barcelona city centre.

It is easy arriving there even by underground. Nearest station is fine for disabled too.

Depending what you are looking for, I can suggest you more points in Barcelona

8 minutes ago, alserrod said:

Hi @Sussexboy

I think this is what you are looking for.

Everyday in Barcelona centre there is an official guided tour through Gothic quarter for disabled.

When I say "official" is because it is managed by Tourism Office directly.

It takes only 600m walking and it gets the best of Barcelona city centre.

It is easy arriving there even by underground. Nearest station is fine for disabled too.

Depending what you are looking for, I can suggest you more points in Barcelona

Thank you very much for that. We will be there on a Monday so miss the tour, but the itinerary on Google maps is very helpful. I will show it to my better half  and see what she thinks. 

43 minutes ago, Sussexboy said:

Thank you very much for that. We will be there on a Monday so miss the tour, but the itinerary on Google maps is very helpful. I will show it to my better half  and see what she thinks. 

Hi.... webpage has been updated and they point "only Friday". Last time I visited it was daily

Please, get in contact with Barcelona tourism office to know dates of visit when you are moving to Barcelona.

In addition, if you write about your possibilities, I can suggest you more points to visit. This is... this tour is just 600m, plus a short walk from/to the underground (you can entry that underground even on a wheelchair).

Can you walk for longer distances?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2024 at 4:01 PM, alserrod said:

Hello:

Thanks for all the advice you give here. Do you think it will be a good idea to visit the Gothic Quarter and El Born on a Sunday? Are those areas safe to walk on your own even in the evening? Not late at night and in the Sommer season.

I have seen also some wine tour outside Barcelona visiting a couple of wineries in Penedes. It is quite expensive though. It is about 6 hours including some light lunch. Do you think it is worth it to spend a Sunday that way instead of walking around in Barcelona?

I do not like hop on hop off buses either.

2 hours ago, travelberlin said:

Thanks for all the advice you give here. Do you think it will be a good idea to visit the Gothic Quarter and El Born on a Sunday? Are those areas safe to walk on your own even in the evening? Not late at night and in the Sommer season.

I have seen also some wine tour outside Barcelona visiting a couple of wineries in Penedes. It is quite expensive though. It is about 6 hours including some light lunch. Do you think it is worth it to spend a Sunday that way instead of walking around in Barcelona?

I do not like hop on hop off buses either.

Hello

The center of Barcelona is safe. There are a lot of police. It will be camouflaged and you will not perceive it. Even at night. Remember that the usual dinner time in Spain starts at 9:00 p.m. Whatever time it is, the night ends and people still walk a lot through the streets of the center.

Of course, keep in mind that it is a site that receives many visits from people from all over the world.
I wouldn't be worried about someone trying to assault you or rob you by force, but I would be worried about pickpockets. There are many many pickpockets.

It is enough that you "make it difficult for them." Carry everything in a place that is not accessible to a pickpocket. If you don't have a wallet (and your cell phone, and your documentation) in a pocket that can be taken from you, everything will be fine. If you make it difficult for them directly, they will try it with someone else.

• Thanks 1

About wine visits.

In one of the best wineries in Spain, a 1.5-hour guided tour with wine tasting costs less than 30 euros.

Whatever the guide and the bus cost... add 30 euros and think if it is expensive or cheap.

From Barcelona, I suggest you visit, in addition to the Gothic quarter and the Sagrada Familia, Montjuic mountain

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2981525-🩵-one-day-in-barcelona-montjuic-mountain/#comment-67083050

Read here for more ideas

• Thanks 1