Solo and Staying Solo

Daruma

Hello, folks.

Really just another... conversation piece... if you will.

So, a bit of background...

My wife, son, and I vacation all together twice a year going to my In-Laws for Christmas/New Years, then in the Summer the entire family meets up at Smugglers Notch in VT.

Aside from that, my wife likes woodsy, hiking, cooler temp vacations, (which I don’t), and I prefer swimmy, beachy, tropical/warmer vacations, (which she loathes, lol).

So we each also take separate vacations, though I insist my son, (now 22), go with her... he can decide on his own if he wants to join me. Having said that, once he's out on his own at some point, (currently a Senior in college), should he not want to go... <sigh> ... I'll have to, lol. Please don't say that I'm a chauvinist, or "who am I to not 'LET' my wife travel alone?" It's out of concern, love, and a desire to keep her safe, period.

Anyway... when I go on mine, and if my son on occasion doesn't join me, it's ME time.

I have no interest in striking up friendships or conversation, etc. Not that I'm an anti-social a$$... it's just "me time."

So, first time solo cruising, (first cruise in about 14 years), and I don't plan to do any solo meet 'n greets, don't want to strike up conversations with anyone, don't want an "excursion buddy," etc... I just want to "do me," relax, and decompress from work.

So, for you solo cruisers out there... what's your jam?

Do you like meeting folks, making friends, always be doing things, (dinners, shows, etc), with others?

Do you just like to dine with others maybe, but prefer to be alone for the most part?

Or are you a hermit like me, lol? 😂

Enquiring minds want to know... (I wonder how many will catch that reference, lol?)

Edited by Daruma

At home I'm a hermit - I get home from work, make my dinner and sit on the couch for TV time.  Home is ALL "me time".

On a cruise - it's a complete 180 for me.  I'm at all the nightly meetups, hang with a group of people I've met there, chat with anyone that wants to strike up a conversation.  On my last cruise I won an event and the prize was a t-shirt, on the front it reads 'The best version of me is when I'm at sea'.  That could not be closer to the truth!  On my last cruise there was maybe one or two nights that I made it back to my room before 11 PM, always out enjoying activities on the ship and usually with people from the solo group.

• Like 2

Cruises are generally crowded and loud in most of the common areas.  Mostly everyone is a stranger to everyone else.  I always go in with an open mind and not let any little stuff bother me.  I am as friendly and cordial as possible even to those that just can't seem to do the same.  And I always give that advice to people who cruise with me.  It is one big party, and we were all invited.  So, make the best of you vacation and don't let the downers bring you down too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Daruma said:

Or are you a hermit like me, lol? 😂

I'm pretty much a hermit. Never been to a solo meet. Don't strike up conversations. Prefer being on my own.
BUT, having said that, if I've almost finished my lunch/dinner in the buffet and I see someone looking for a seat I might invite them to share mine (after all, I'm almost done...) and enjoy some light conversation.  That, to me, is part of the charm with cruising: IF you want to chat for a few minutes there is lots of opportunity. But it's perfectly fine to chat a little and then move on!
I'm not Platinum yet, but I will be later this year. I don't know what I will do with my "dinner for two" coupons. The thought of having a sit down dinner, having conversation with a stranger does not appeal to me. But it's such a shame to just waste that free speciality meal. 😄 Luckily my daughter might join me on my first Platinum cruise (in her own room - we are SO different in SO many ways. It would not be relaxing to share a small room!) and I don't mind eating with her. 😄 We can even NOT have a conversation unless we want to without it being awkward. 😄 

I sail both with my family and solo. When I’m solo, I don’t attend meetups or anything of that sort. I’m chatty though, and will strike up a conversation at the bar or around the ship. I like that it can be on my terms and I can bow out when I’ve had enough company. I did make a very nice friend on one cruise, and have been casually absorbed by groups of nice women on a couple of occasions. Did have one fella end up being a Stage 5 clinger, which wore me the heck out. He couldn’t take a clue! 
For the most part, you’ll find me tucked away in quiet spaces with a Coke Zero in one hand and my Kindle in the other!  

I sometimes travel with friends, occasionally solo.  Even when with friends, I'll go my separate way if I feel that I'm becoming a "third wheel."

When literally or effectively solo, it depends on context.  If I'm sitting at a bar, or at an event, I might strike up a conversation with the person next to me (or not.)  But no, I'm not going to the singles meet-up, roll calls, bar crawls, etc.  I have some social anxiety when among larger groups so I studiously avoid those.  

I usually upgrade to all specialty dining and almost always prefer to dine alone.  I used to feel self-conscious about it but got over myself.  Only once, having chatted up a couple at a bar, did I invite them to join me for dinner.  That was way outside my comfort zone (but I was rather drunk!) 🙂

Edited by phillygwm