LAX vs San Pedro for jet lag stay

guardami

Hello. I will be flying into LAX this October, 2 nights before cruising out of San Pedro. Based on reading posts on these forums, the Crowne Plaza sounds like the best bet if I was to stay near the port but staying at LAX would be a bit cheaper. 

As I am travelling from Australia, the extra nights are to allow for jet lag so I'm not too bothered about staying somewhere that has lots to offer by way of things to see and do. I'm really just interested in something clean and comfortable, with decent food options in or close by the hotel. At most, I usually just head out for a walk, some fresh air and to get something to eat on my jet lag day. As I'm travelling solo, safety is also a consideration in where I stay.

Would people still recommend San Pedro over LAX? If not, any suggestions for hotels at/near LAX that have reasonable options for food, stretching one's legs, and preferably with a reliable shuttle from the airport.

Thanks heaps

G'day...

We always fly into LAX the day before (doing it again in a few weeks ;o) The area around LAX is an industrial wasteland and would not be the best choice for a two day stay unless your flight lands VERY late. Personally, I also find San Pedro to be quite poor as well. One possible option for you would be Long Beach, not too far from San Pedro but much more "alive" than SP though LB can be pricey depending on time of year. Another good option, for pricing as well as variety, is our favorite pre-cruise LA hotel zone, Torrance. It's exactly half way between LAX and San Pedro, so not out of your way at all, and has lots of well-priced hotels and restaurants. We stay at one of the hotels right next to the massive Del Amo mall. Since you're concerned about sight-seeing etc,Torrance might be a good option.

• Like 1

We use the LAX Hilton if getting in late or leaving early.  Food at the bar is excellent and the rooms are very nice.  As pointed out the area around anything near LAX is going to be a wasteland.  Probably OK for a good walk during the day.  The shuttle to/from LAX is excellent.  I guess it depends on when you actually get into LAX.  If you get in late night and really only have the next day and night it would be good.  If you have more daylight on you day of arrival and then a full day and night then I would look more at away from LAX area.  The gym is good.    

On 1/13/2024 at 11:34 PM, guardami said:

Would people still recommend San Pedro over LAX? If not, any suggestions for hotels at/near LAX that have reasonable options

Here is a review I posted recently...

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g32655-d7389126-Reviews-Residence_Inn_by_Marriott_Los_Angeles_LAX_Century_Boulevard-Los_Angeles_California.html

On 1/14/2024 at 8:44 AM, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

If you have more daylight on your day of arrival and then a full day and night then I would look more at away from LAX area.

Did you catch this part of AtSea's answer? I don't how great a hotel is, I'd never spend more than 12 hours in the LAX area.

18 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

Did you catch this part of AtSea's answer? I don't how great a hotel is, I'd never spend more than 12 hours in the LAX area.

Yes, thank you. Perhaps you missed the part of my original post where I said I was purely looking for a jet lag stay and not interested in places that offered more in terms of things to see and do? I'm spending 2 nights - one day - pre cruise, and after close to 24 hours of travel across multiple time zones I will spend most of that time sleeping.  

16 hours ago, guardami said:

Yes, thank you. Perhaps you missed the part of my original post where I said.....

Here is what you said, "I'm really just interested in something clean and comfortable, with decent food options in or close by the hotel. At most, I usually just head out for a walk, some fresh air and to get something to eat on my jet lag day"

I don't find any decent food options in the LAX area and it is not an area I'd walk around.