E. Bikes

Whiteduck1

Good Evening, 

Just a quick question. Has anyone used the E. Bikes ashore. Is it easy to hire one or do they get booked up really quickly. How long can you hire them for... Grateful for any information. 

Haven't used them but think you book for each port you would like to use one and then it's yours for that day. Wasn't particularly looking out for them but didn't see a lot of use. There seemed to be more put out from the ship than used on occasion so it is possible that they might allow a late decision to book one. Presumably they usually want a reasonable notice so that they know how many to charge up fully.

• Like 1

You need a safety briefing, involving watching a video, before taking out an e bike. We booked e bikes in Funchal, having been told by Explore Ashore that there was a cycle path. However, investigating on foot in advance, we couldn’t see clear evidence of a cycle path on either the busy road or pavement, so decided against taking out the bikes. 
It would be helpful if the ships developed a safe cycling guide to suitable ports. Cycling on busy roads on the “wrong side”  of the road doesn’t seem like a good idea.

• Like 4

On our recent Xmas trip there was always at least three bikes not being used at the gang plank. A couple that we met on board used the bikes at most ports and recommended them.

3 hours ago, Whiteduck1 said:

Thanks for your replys.. I'll try and get some practice in using one before April.. 

Also I don’t think that you hire them as I believe that they are free to use.

you may have to book them.

https://newsroom.saga.co.uk/news/saga-to-offer-guests-mate-x-e-bikes-to-explore-destinations

On 1/15/2024 at 9:14 AM, Kohima said:

You need a safety briefing, involving watching a video, before taking out an e bike. We booked e bikes in Funchal, having been told by Explore Ashore that there was a cycle path. However, investigating on foot in advance, we couldn’t see clear evidence of a cycle path on either the busy road or pavement, so decided against taking out the bikes. 
It would be helpful if the ships developed a safe cycling guide to suitable ports. Cycling on busy roads on the “wrong side”  of the road doesn’t seem like a good idea.

I would suggest that if someone needs to be told which side of the road to cycle on, they shouldn’t really be on a cycle.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Ladycommonsense said:

I would suggest that if someone needs to be told which side of the road to cycle on, they shouldn’t really be on a cycle.

On 1/15/2024 at 9:14 AM, Kohima said:

I can’t see where the poster Kohima was was asking which side of the road to cycle on.🤷🏻‍♂️

Thank you Brummijam.

Just to expand on my post……I was merely suggesting that the combination of no cycle path, busy traffic and an unfamiliar side of the road might not be a great experience for some people. Obviously some ports will provide a more relaxing experience than others, especially where there are dedicated cycle paths. Indeed, for various safety reasons, the e bikes cannot be used in certain ports.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have taken the e-bikes out five times, each time in different ports.

I am a very experienced cyclist and cycle often in UK and France on my own bike.

The e-bikes are very good bikes.  There are quirks when settings off but after a few starts you will get use to the process.  Ensure you are shown how to set off by ship staff.

Equipment is good with helmet provided.  The helmet is linked to the bike and your need to ensure the link is working and you understand how to use the indicators. The helmet has in-built indicator lamps.

The bikes are heavy.  You will need to very strong to lift a bike up. 

You should take with you: cycling gloves and waterproofs.

Beware:

The bikes will require both hands on the handlebars.  So, you need to use the indicators.. you will have to be confident to wave your hand in the air when turning.

The bikes are dangerous on damp open roads.  Stay on cycle paths or gravel.  Even though the tires are wide and large there is zero grip when turning or braking when there is oil or diesel on the surface.  Repeat... stay off roads when vehicles travel on a damp or wet day.  The on-board medical centre has an xray machine .. I know.

Carrying items in the bike is not advised.  Take a ruck sack.

Ensure you have the ships contact details.  Walking the bike back is tough.  Captain Tanner has experienced this .. a simple puncture will require a pickup, probably local taxi, back to ship.

Finally, plan your route carefully.  

Hope these insights help.  I will back on board soon. And,  I will take the bikes out again... if they let me after my last fall.

🙂

Edited by Anobium
  • Like 2

More facts/thoughts.

There are 30 bikes per ship.

They are stored in a special container in the ship for battery safety.

Booking is simple. Ask the front desk.  I booked all ports up front and they prepared the bikes each day.  The most used one day was four bikes - we had booked two.

They do put the bikes on the Dock. If it rains... you need to be prepared for a damp saddle.

Edited by Anobium
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2024 at 10:09 AM, Ladycommonsense said:

Not ebike or even SAGA related but ......

Hubby took his own mountain bike on a Med/Aegean cruise (when Seabourn allowed you to do this). After navigating on the 'wrong' side of the road throughout Croatia, mainland Greece and the islands we docked in Cyprus. It was only after he nearly crashed into a bus on a roundabout he remembered that the Cypriots drive on the 'right' side of the road (ie the left 😂😂)

Edited by Techno123