Reserving The Grill on Sojourn

USN59-79

We will be on Sojourn 33 days starting 20 February.  I had read that you can make a reservation every ten days on a cruise.  Went to "My Account" and tried to make a reservation.  Clicked on Reserve Now and got a red circle with a diagonal line.  In other words, no can do.  Here is what the instructions there say:  "The Grill can be requested online prior to sailing subject to availability.  Online reservations close 15 days prior to sailing.  Due to high demand, you can make one reservation per cruise only."

So what does that mean?  Are no reservations available 36 days before our sailing?  Can I really only make one reservation on a 33 day portion of the World Cruise?  Should we just forget about Thomas Keller on our upcoming cruise?

Ray

I wonder if they are just booked up this close to sailing.  I'm on the final leg of that WC, from May 2nd to June 5th and I was able to book the Solis (they are changing it over in April) for 4 days. 

They only allow pre-booking for a relatively small percentage of the available spaces (well less than 50%). You can book your reservations once onboard (you should do so on the day of embarkation).  Most likely, you will be able to make several reservations for your cruise. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, skybluewaters said:

They only allow pre-booking for a relatively small percentage of the available spaces (well less than 50%). You can book your reservations once onboard (you should do so on the day of embarkation).  Most likely, you will be able to make several reservations for your cruise. 

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that.  We will wait till we are onboard.

Ray

“…several reservations …” for a 33 day cruise? Not sure about that.

Aim for two and you will fit in with the crowd who also want to dine in what is a small 30-40 seat space and with time-managed reservations for a smoothed service. If you like to eat relatively early or late you will probably have more choice of dates.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Ray-

we are on the same cruise as you, although we are boarding 10 days earlier in Auckland. We’re doing 43 days.

Months ago, I booked four nights at TK Grill (I’ve learned my lesson on prior cruises). Sea days were particularly difficult to book.  If you really have a difficult time, we can probably “gift you “one of our reservations.

I noticed that you are a frequent Holland America cruiser. The first long cruise my husband and I took about 20 years ago was an HAL Baltic cruise. One of the things I think you’re going to find on Seabourn is that the food is so extraordinary that even on the nights when you have reservations for TKG we have found ourselves stopping by the dining room to eat a particular dish in the regular dining room.

Definitely going to be better weather than we’re having here in the states! I’ve been visiting my brother in Atlanta where they close the schools for black ice on the roads; even here in northern California it’s been chilly and rainy. So looking forward to short sleeves!

Steve

43 minutes ago, Steve007NY said:

Ray-

we are on the same cruise as you, although we are boarding 10 days earlier in Auckland. We’re doing 43 days.

Months ago, I booked four nights at TK Grill (I’ve learned my lesson on prior cruises). Sea days were particularly difficult to book.  If you really have a difficult time, we can probably “gift you “one of our reservations.

I noticed that you are a frequent Holland America cruiser. The first long cruise my husband and I took about 20 years ago was an HAL Baltic cruise. One of the things I think you’re going to find on Seabourn is that the food is so extraordinary that even on the nights when you have reservations for TKG we have found ourselves stopping by the dining room to eat a particular dish in the regular dining room.

Definitely going to be better weather than we’re having here in the states! I’ve been visiting my brother in Atlanta where they close the schools for black ice on the roads; even here in northern California it’s been chilly and rainy. So looking forward to short sleeves!

Steve

Thanks for the kind offer, Steve but it looks like we will have a lot of choices.  I am looking forward to the sushi someone posted pictures of awhile back.  Just checked and see that we have 1274 days at sea with 627 on HAL and about 400 on Princess.  We are also pretty familiar with that part of the world having lived three years in the Philippines and three years on Taiwan.  We plan to spend two weeks in Taipei before flying home.

I remember you mentioning that you might fly to Bali to buy some furniture for your new house.  We bought a lot of our furniture in Taiwan while living there.  Might be something worth looking at while you are there.  Even bought some Taiwanese furniture when living in the Philippines.  

Ray

Ray –

We actually already booked our flights from Taipei to Denpasar. I’ve been there before. John has only been there to change airplanes 🙂

It’s not really gonna be enough time for furniture shopping. We had furniture made the last time we were in Bali (it was when the Suharto regime was overthrown … We were one of the few tourists who stuck around in Bali.  The currency lost something like 80% of its value. We may not find the kind of bargains we did on that trip!

I know this is straying quite a bit from the original post but one of the wonderful parts of Seaborn is that the chefs will actually cook just about anything you can request with 24 hours notice. We have even had the chef work with us and do several iterations of scallops with bacon brittle, trying to reproduce a dish served at a favorite place in Saint Petersburg Florida. We also enjoy caviar and blini virtually every evening.  

I assume you were posted to the Philippines and Taiwan?  My first visit to “Formosa” was in 1972… they were typhoons in Manila so didn’t make it there. I won’t bother the other posters with the many stories I could tell but perhaps we can share them over a drink on board. 

On 1/16/2024 at 12:38 AM, USN59-79 said:

We will wait till we are onboard.

Just try to make it the first thing you do after boarding to make sure you can get a reservation or two at times you want.