Anyone done Amsterdam HOHO bus?

Hi,

I'm reposting this from the Baltic board.  We will be in Amsterdam on May 9 for the first (and probably only) time.  We're looking at doing a HOHO (hop on hop off) bus and boat for the day and are wondering if anyone has any experience with City Sightseeing Amsterdam.

Thanks,

Cyndy

There was a brief thread on this a little while back. Predictably, opinion here was divided between not doing HOHO in Amsterdam, doing the HOHO bus, doing the HOHO boat, doing the HOHO bus/boat combo or doing the HOHO Bus with standard canal cruise (so basically all the City Sightseeing options). Are there one or two sights you particularly want to see - as always, HOHO is good for an overview, but terrible for point-to-point transportation? 

The HOHO bus does stop at the Passenger Terminal Amsterdam, so that is something to be said for it, if you are docking there. Personally, I think that Amsterdam is so easy to get around on foot and tram that I wouldn't bother with the HOHO (but definitely do a canal cruise). But as I say, opinions vary! 

Thank you.  I assume we'll be docking at the Passenger Terminal, but we don't get that specific information until, I think, the day before docking.  We're on NCL's Prima.  We'd like an overview of Amsterdam and are especially interested to cruise the canals.  We've done HOHO's in several other cities and have always enjoyed it as a 'Day 1 get your bearings' tour.  We'd do the bus and boat combo, for sure.

25 minutes ago, Firstin87 said:

Thank you.  I assume we'll be docking at the Passenger Terminal, but we don't get that specific information until, I think, the day before docking.  We're on NCL's Prima.  We'd like an overview of Amsterdam and are especially interested to cruise the canals.  We've done HOHO's in several other cities and have always enjoyed it as a 'Day 1 get your bearings' tour.  We'd do the bus and boat combo, for sure.

NCL will know where they are docking long before the day before.

Yes, they probably already know.  Passengers just won't know until the Freestyle Daily comes out the day before we dock.  I've read that most ships dock at the Passenger Terminal, so I'd guess that's most likely where we'll be.  Just hoping they don't skip the port.  As we all know, Amsterdam is starting to greet fewer cruise ships, so... fingers crossed.

Amsterdam is unlike other cities, like Paris or London, where a Hoho bus might work. The historical city center of Amsterdam where the main sights are located is very compact and highly walkable. It’s so compact, especially the UNESCO World Heritage Canal Zone, that busses like Hoho can’t drive there. Therefore a Hoho bus isn’t a good idea to get your bearings, because you won’t see the most beautiful part of the city. 
A much better idea to get your bearings is to take a canal cruise. A regular one, not a Hoho one. Lots of canal cruises leave from the central train station which is close to the cruise terminal. There is no need to book in advance, just walk up, buy a ticket and off you go!

Tickets for a canal cruise.  We have American Express and I'm not sure if canal cruise vendors take that form of payment.

Based on your advice, I'm looking at self-guided walking tours in Amsterdam.  Our cruise line has a "Waterways of Amsterdam" excursion that lasts 1.5 hours, so maybe a walking tour, then that excursion? 

12 hours ago, Dutch_Travelgirl said:

Lots of canal cruises leave from the central train station which is close to the cruise terminal. There is no need to book in advance, just walk up, buy a ticket and off you go!

2 hours ago, Firstin87 said:

Our cruise line has a "Waterways of Amsterdam" excursion that lasts 1.5 hours, so maybe a walking tour, then that excursion? 

No need at all to take a cruise line excursion, just follow the earlier advice about walking up and taking a canal cruise when you feel like it - you can pick which one you like the look of! The price of that excursion seems to be about three times what the canal cruise actually costs. 

It’s not just cruise vendors in Amsterdam that don’t like American Express. If your only credit card is an American Express one, you will run into trouble all over Europe. I would strongly suggest to get a Visa or Mastercard. 

You don’t need to book a canal cruise thru your cruise company. There are dozens of companies that offer canal cruises in Amsterdam. Pick one you like, buy a ticket and board the boat. 

We really didn’t like our HOHO in Amsterdam.  
Long wait to get started, then went to another cruise ship to wait again and get more passengers.

Bus took the longest time to get into the city, going on a big circle round hotels 

Driver shouted out over the top of the commentary lots of irrelevant comments, so you couldn’t follow the narration 

Driver announced stops in a yell and didn’t use the correct names eg “coloured houses” for Nyhavn.

Ended up getting off early as it wasn’t a pleasant experience.

Coming back to the ship was no better, the HOHO dropped you at the Little Mermaid and then you walked up to get a shuttle bus back.  We returned there to get back to the ship, we waited 45 minutes on the shuttle, going nowhere, every time we asked when it would leave we were told “five minutes”.  After an hour we demanded they set off, and reluctantly they did.  The shuttle was scheduled to run every 20 mins!

Hope this wasn’t typical and you have a great time.

11 minutes ago, Sarnia 432 said:

We really didn’t like our HOHO in Amsterdam. 
….

Driver announced stops in a yell and didn’t use the correct names eg “coloured houses” for Nyhavn.

Ended up getting off early as it wasn’t a pleasant experience.

Coming back to the ship was no better, the HOHO dropped you at the Little Mermaid

It seems this experience was in Copenhagen, not Amsterdam, 

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice.  Sounds like Amsterdam 'on our own' is a good option.

Sarnia432, I'm sorry your HOHO in Copenhagen was such a mess.  I'll keep that in mind if we ever get to Copenhagen.  Hope the other ports went smoother.