Reykjavik City Center transfer to Cruise Port

I am looking for suggestions, experience and/or links for transportation from the city center in Reykjavik to the Skarfabakki 312 Cruise Terminal.  I love to plan and research my trips (cruise or land) but Iceland has me stumped!  TYIA!!

you are looking at a distance of under 3 miles (average)  .. there are plenty of taxi.

Our last cruise ended in Reyk' and the hotel was about 1.5 miles. Taxi was easy and credit card was easy to use ....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Capt_BJ said:

you are looking at a distance of under 3 miles (average)  .. there are plenty of taxi.

Our last cruise ended in Reyk' and the hotel was about 1.5 miles. Taxi was easy and credit card was easy to use ....

Do you remember the approximate cost?   Anytime I do a search or "mock" reservation, its like $127!!

I do not remember the exact cost but I do remember it was nothing to get excited about. BUT do be aware that just about everything in Iceland is gonna seem $$ as compared to US.

ALSO the hotel we stayed at - FOSS - had a desk in the lobby to help arrange transportation / tours and the such and answer questions. We found them VERY helpful and service with a smile!

Are you familiar with the geography? Know where the cruise port is?

image.thumb.png.96ec12ca25214775611b6b9a2601a4e0.png

Edited by Capt_BJ

We also took a taxi, and I remember the cost being very reasonable.  For 2 people I remember it being the same cost as 2 tix on the shuttle bus, so taxi worked great.   Just ask the taxi driver where the best place is to find a taxi downtown for the return trip.   there was not a lot of taxi's driving around downtown but there were some.  There is a sign that says taxi stand near the main park downtown.

$127 is approximately the cost of a taxi from KEF Airport, 45 minutes from the city, to Reykjavik.  It might be a bit higher than that.

For a 3 mile trip in the city I'd expect $25-30 at most.  Remember, tipping is not part of the culture.

I've used taxifarefinder for Reykjavik in the past for decent estimates

When we were in Reykjavik last summer there was a general bus providing service between Harpa Concert Hall and Skarfabakki. To my understanding, this was a free shuttle running from morning to night (11 am to 10 pm or 8:30 am to 10 pm depending on who we asked) coordinated by the port authorities and not under the domain of any particular cruise ship/line. If you're looking simply for transportation, this might also be considered as an option. I don't know if this would accommodate any luggage or require showing any cruise card for passage, however, and I'm sorry to not have further information on the frequency/availability of the service.

You can see in the helpful image provided by Capt_BJ above the road running along the coast - there is also a wide, paved sidewalk pretty much parallel that, all else failing and weather-permitting, can be easily walked between the city and Skarfabakki, though it will take approximately 45 minutes one way, minimum. (I believe you can see Harpa as the dark, geometric building near the '41.')

If you're seeking to board your cruise after arriving and staying in Reykjavik, then the taxi advice and/or asking in the hotel lobby as provided above may be the most convenient method. Skarfabakki itself is not remote - it's also a stop on the Reykjavik Hop-On Hop-Off, even, though I don't think the HOHO would be quite as convenient or cost effective as other options offered overall due to its ticket cost, relative infrequency, and limited daytime schedule.

@Capt_BJ

In reverse-- from the OPs initial question...are taxis at the cruise terminal to get into "town" at Ingólfur Square if I want to do a walking tour? This would be in the am from an overnight of an NCL ship.

TYIA

On 1/19/2024 at 9:56 AM, Nitemare said:

For a 3 mile trip in the city I'd expect $25-30 at most.  Remember, tipping is not part of the culture.

What are the suggested tips for cruise-tour guides and bus drivers? 

On 1/26/2024 at 2:09 PM, mort&fran said:

What are the suggested tips for cruise-tour guides and bus drivers? 

Tipping is not part of the culture. People are paid a fair and living wage.  Iceland is a beautiful and unspoiled country.  Let's try to keep it that way.

Edited by Nitemare
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

TY @Nitemare

Are you living in Iceland and not in need of tips.

I have been there five times and talked to folks in all walks of tourism. They won’t turn down a tip, but hey think it is odd and it is unnecessary.

Me?  I don’t need tips, either. I get paid appropriately for my job by my employer.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

I have been there five times and talked to folks in all walks of tourism. They won’t turn down a tip, but hey think it is odd and it is unnecessary.

Me?  I don’t need tips, either. I get paid appropriately for my job by my employer.

In our experience...(living and traveling overseas) there is plenty of fleecing of the tourists vs the local pricing in many parts of the world..so ok--no "tips" necessary..  

yet the locals don't pay nearly what is charged during "season"

OTOH--  many "cultures" do not tip, and "pride" themselves on it--and scoff at those who do tip...

yet many of the locals/services in the 3rd world are Not paid a living wage... 

Generosity is never wrong.

• 1 month later...

I'm going to piggy back on this older thread and ask about getting from the Skarfabakki-312 cruise terminal into the city. We're on the the Nieuw Statendam from 7am to 7pm and I'm struggling to find the best transport. I'm not adverse to spending on cabs but I'm seeing reports of hours long waits at the terminal for cabs, plus it's a turn around day for HAL. There will be people both disembarking and embarking for their cruise so there will be a lot of people for HAL alone and there are two other ships in that day. 

The city bus options seem to be "walk half an hour and grab a bus. I'm not coming up with a free option from the port but I do see a HOHO bus that seems to pickup nearby. Does anyone have any other information? 

I can't add much, I have only been there once.  However, for our stop (Celebrity cruise - only 1 ship in port) we had no wait for a taxi from port to downtown and also no wait for the return.  I seem to remember a shuttle bus  (not HOHO, and not city bus) that was also waiting at the port and there was no line.   We could purchase tix for the shuttle bus on board the ship.

Good luck.

Me, I'd walk it.  Of course if you have too much luggage that's out, but your best alternative is a taxi.  You could check www.straeto.is which is the public bus service to see if they cover your route.  You'd need their app or cash to pay, I believe