HAL or Celibrity

Andura

Hello, today I have a question about cruising in South America. 
My husband and I thought about taking a Cruise with the HAL Oosterdam from Chile around Cap Hoorn to Buenos Aires. 
Right now we are on the Rotterdaam sailing towards the Panama Canal. 
Now we saw that Celibrity Cruises will have sailings with the Equinox in 2025 and 2026 from Buenos Aires to Punta Arenas and back to Buenos Aires. 
Since it is a long way in Chile from Santiago to the Port we where wondering if that might be a better option. Or would we miss out a lot by not seeing the way from Santiago de Chile to Puntas Arenas? 
Any advice and suggestions would be highly appriciated. 

3 hours ago, Andura said:

My husband and I thought about taking a Cruise with the HAL Oosterdam from Chile around Cap Hoorn to Buenos Aires. 
Now we saw that Celibrity Cruises will have sailings with the Equinox in 2025 and 2026 from Buenos Aires to Punta Arenas and back to Buenos Aires. 
Since it is a long way in Chile from Santiago to the Port we where wondering if that might be a better option. Or would we miss out a lot by not seeing the way from Santiago de Chile to Puntas Arenas? 

Do both visit the Falkland Islands and cruise in the waters around the Antarctic? Personally, I like beginning and ending a cruise in different places so I get to visit 2 places!

Thank you for your reply.
Yeah both include the Falkland Islands.

We could take a Cruise through Antarctica with HAL but my husband is a bit unsere about that because there would be so many sea days.

Celebrity isn't sailing 2025 to Antarctica.  Equinox is sailing January 2026.  We are on their January 17th cruise.  I looked at HAL but didn't want that long of an itinerary.  Antarctica is the main reason for us.  

If you like HAL, you will enjoy Celebrity.  We were on the Rotterdam last year.

Edited by Dancing Shoes

16 hours ago, Andura said:

Thank you for your reply.
Yeah both include the Falkland Islands.

We could take a Cruise through Antarctica with HAL but my husband is a bit unsere about that because there would be so many sea days.

Yes, there are a lot of sea days on the HAL cruise so I can understand that hesitation. One consolation for us is that it will probably be warmer than being at home! Currently -3 F🥶

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sea42 said:

Yes, there are a lot of sea days on the HAL cruise so I can understand that hesitation. One consolation for us is that it will probably be warmer than being at home! Currently -3 F

True 😂👍 but I think we will really choose a Cruise with less days on sea.

22 hours ago, Dancing Shoes said:

Celebrity isn't sailing 2025 to Antarctica.  Equinox is sailing January 2026.  We are on their January 17th cruise.  I looked at HAL but didn't want that long of an itinerary.  Antarctica is the main reason for us.  

Actually we have already been once on the Equinox wich will sail in South America January 2026 but that was more then 10 years ago and it was one of our favorite cruises. So maybe this would be a good option.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/20/2024 at 9:26 PM, Dancing Shoes said:

Come join the roll call for Equinox 1/17/26.  It is located here: Celebrity Equinox Jan-17-26 Roll call

On 1/19/2024 at 1:50 PM, Andura said:

I looked at these two cruises as well and decided on Celebrity primarily because the cost was much higher on HAL. Then again, I am Elite on Celebrity and never cruised HAL, so that could have had an impact as well 🙂