HAL insurance question

My friend and I will be cruising in the same cabin.  She is connected to my account but has her own mariner number and will pay her own bills.  I want to buy the HAL insurance but she would like to go private.  Is it possible for only one cabin mate to have the insurance?  This is the first time I have shared a cabin with someone other than my spouse.  When I sail with him I usually just pay all the bills since I sail a lot more than he does. 

That's a very interesting question.  I suspect HAL would require both of you to buy the insurance, but don't know that for a fact.  You might want to look at travel insurance policies from other companies; we find they provide better coverage at cheaper rates than HAL.  You may want to ask this question in the general travel insurance forum:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

Interesting question. If you find out can you share it here please?

A few things to take into consideration:

1) if your travel partner decides not to go, will you expect to go without them? If so, be aware that the HAL plans do not cover you for the single occupancy costs. 

2) if you mainly want to cover your own cancellation, the HAL platinum plan might be your best option. It costs roughly 10% of your cruise only fare. So you would be out 10% of the cost of the cruise, plus the roughly 10% cost of the insurance. If you bought airfare or a pre- or post cruise tour, they are covered but do not count towards the cost of the insurance. The best CAR insurance I have found only returns 75% and you have to include airfare and any other expenses. The HAL insurance (platinum) only offers a small amount of medical and evacuation coverage ( for me not a problem because my employer insurance covers me overseas.)

3) If you are needing CAR ( cancel for any reason) are you within the dates when you can purchase it? ( did you make a deposit already and how long ago. Each insurance will have its requirements.)

So it boils down to what your needs and risk tolerance is.

From past experience. Yes, you can buy HAL insurance (Cancellation Protection Plan - CPP) for just one person in the cabin regardless of how many are staying in there. You can even buy Platinum for one and regular for the other.