Using Driver's License and Marriage certificate

TXGREG

15 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I read that on a recent post.   I've also read of some who didn't have anyone at home to send a copy and were denied boarding.        While true or not I thought I read recently that one could use a "REAL ID" license without a birth certificate and also a Global Entry since you have been ultra checked out.

I just Googled and per CBP.GOV
U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as an Enhanced Driver's License (EDL), a government-issued birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born) or passport, ...
But said a  EDL only allowed on Ocean or Land crossings.

As you quote from CBP, on closed loop cruises that don't require a passport, you may be able to use an Enhanced ID (only offered in about 5 states) instead of a birth certificate (not sure on Celebrity's specific policy on this).  

I've never heard of being able to use a Real ID (which is different than an Enhanced ID) with Global Entry for a closed loop cruise.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

read recently that one could use a "REAL ID" license without a birth certificate

Passengers have to have a birth certificate with a Real ID license. Some people are confusing EDL with Real ID. 

As far as Global Entry without a birth certificate it might work theoretically, you can use to cross the Canadian border by car but I would not test that out on a cruise. 

Edited by Charles4515

Should be mentioned that if you cruise without a passport and need to leave the cruise in an emergency to fly home, you cannot do so without a passport. Big mistake to cruise without one.

• Like 1

As someone who checks-in passengers for Alaska bound cruises, I can tell you that a Global Entry Card is not acceptable as proof of citizenship.  Any passengers showing up with just a Global Entry Card, plus a regular Driver's License (even a Real ID DL) would be denied boarding.  If this passenger was a US born citizen, we would accept a copy of their US gov't issued birth certificate electronically sent from home.

Just general info:  Enhanced Driver's licenses are only issued from these 5 states: MI; MN; NY; VT & WA.  There are also Canadian Enhanced Driver's Licenses issued from some of the Provinces.  Enhanced Driver Licenses are acceptable ID to board a cruise ship sailing on an Alaskan closed loop cruise.  (I can not speak to what some of the Island countries require in the Caribbean)

Other acceptable ID would be a NEXUS card (issued by the US/CA gov'ts), or a SENTRI card (US/MEX).  We really don't see too many of these cards.  To get one on these cards you need to have a face to face interview.  Fun fact, spouse and I have our NEXUS interview scheduled for later this Spring..

Easiest ID to use is a passport.

22 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Passengers have to have a birth certificate with a Real ID license. Some people are confusing EDL with Real ID. 

As far as Global Entry without a birth certificate it might work theoretically, you can use to cross the Canadian border by car but I would not test that out on a cruise. 

Kinda a mute point on Global Entry as you have to have a Passport in order to obtain Global Entry.  If you have a passport you would use it.

39 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Kinda a mute point on Global Entry as you have to have a Passport in order to obtain Global Entry.  If you have a passport you would use it.

You would think. You were the one who posted about people saying they were using Global Entry without a birth certificate. I don’t know what you were thinking.

The expiration dates don’t coincide so I could see someone might have the card and not a valid passport.n

Edited by Charles4515