Question for a person with Type 1 Diabetes

Sailing on the Odyssey of the Seas beginning of February.  In the cabins, in the refrigerator, is there a small freezer?  My friend is a Type 1 Diabetic and needs to freeze ice packs overnight for her insulin , especially when she is off the ship for an excursion.  Has anyone delt with this before, and how did you handle it?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

13 minutes ago, Nana2001 said:

In the cabins, in the refrigerator, is there a small freezer?  My friend is a Type 1 Diabetic and needs to freeze ice packs overnight for her insulin

My wife is type 1 and we travel and cruise frequently. The cabin refrigertor will not get cold enough to freeze her ice packs. In the past we've given the ice packs to the room steward and they would keep them in a freezer for us. She now uses a product with great results called the Frio bag, it is specifically made for insulin and travel as the bags only use water to activate the cooling feature. You can purchase them on Amazon but here's a link to their page with all of the info. She has used them for cruising, camping and while exploring on our land based vacations. She's been very happy with the performance of the bags.

https://www.frioinsulincoolingcase.com

19 minutes ago, Nana2001 said:

Sailing on the Odyssey of the Seas beginning of February.  In the cabins, in the refrigerator, is there a small freezer?  My friend is a Type 1 Diabetic and needs to freeze ice packs overnight for her insulin , especially when she is off the ship for an excursion.  Has anyone delt with this before, and how did you handle it?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

Contact special needs for a small regular refrigerator. 

Also thinking back on it now, we did receive a small medication refrigerator that special needs had delivered to our cabin several years ago for her insulin vials. She likes the Frio bag now especially when our travel includes flying, less to pack with the ice packs and going through TSA with diabetic supplies can sometimes cause delays for us. The bags also work well on excursions. 

I’ve been type 1 for 45 years. Not saying it’s right or wrong or medically recommended but the only time I refrigerate my insulin is at home, and that’s for everything except my in-use vial and a new unopened one I keep in my backpack. Doctor told me it wasn’t necessary to refrigerate for shorter periods like a week or two. Being on a pump I may use a vial every two weeks. 

I do use a Frio for excursions. It cools using evaporation.

Have them check with their endocrinologist for their best practices. Good luck. 

Dan

Same here when on cruise 7 nts full pump 1 spare vile in kit room temp. 

Store full supply in refrigerator at home. If going away for longer  time will take more in freezer bag with ice pack.till near a refrigerator. 

On 1/25/2024 at 10:15 AM, JeffT237 said:

My wife is type 1 and we travel and cruise frequently. The cabin refrigertor will not get cold enough to freeze her ice packs. In the past we've given the ice packs to the room steward and they would keep them in a freezer for us. She now uses a product with great results called the Frio bag, it is specifically made for insulin and travel as the bags only use water to activate the cooling feature. You can purchase them on Amazon but here's a link to their page with all of the info. She has used them for cruising, camping and while exploring on our land based vacations. She's been very happy with the performance of the bags.

https://www.frioinsulincoolingcase.com

I also have a Frio bag that I have only used once on a flight day.  I am a new insulin pen user.  We have a cruise planned where we will have an excursion outside in the Ft Lauderdale heat all day.  It will be 5pm before we will be back in air conditioning.   I have been looking at a ice pack bag and case to use instead of the Frio.  Do you think the Frio would safely keep the pens cool in FL March weather all day or should I get an Ice Pack case?  Thank you for your help and guidance.  

10 hours ago, Midwest Sunseeker said:

I also have a Frio bag that I have only used once on a flight day.  I am a new insulin pen user.  We have a cruise planned where we will have an excursion outside in the Ft Lauderdale heat all day.  It will be 5pm before we will be back in air conditioning.   I have been looking at a ice pack bag and case to use instead of the Frio.  Do you think the Frio would safely keep the pens cool in FL March weather all day or should I get an Ice Pack case?  Thank you for your help and guidance.  

9 hours ago, Midwest Sunseeker said:

On Amazon I found a claim that: " The Frio Wallets keep insulin safe for a minimum of 45 hours (more than five times longer that an ice pack)- even in constant environmental temperatures of 100 degrees Fahrenheit. " 

I just relayed your question to my wife (she's not on CC), she said she has used the Frio bag for about 6 years now and no longer takes ice packs when she travels. She is on an Omnipod for her insulin delivery and carries her extra vials in the Frio bag. She has taken them on all of our excursions, our last cruise was March 2023 to the Western Caribbean ports and it kept her insulin at the proper temp.  She's used it several days tent camping when it was over 100 degrees one day. She also used it on all of our day trips in Hawaii this past August without issues. She just needed to reactivate the cooling feature with water as needed.

As one of the previous posters stated discuss with your medical team, and maybe contact Frio with what you use and what your concerns are.  I believe the original question was about the in cabin fridge and if it could freeze ice packs to cool their insulin while traveling or out and about.  I don't want to give out bad info on an important topic like this.  I'll end with the Frio bags work well for my wife while traveling and on excursions.

• Thanks 1