Princess Alaska Excoursion vs Independent

cusematt4

Hi All,

For anyone who has done an Alaskan Princess cruise, does anyone have a recommendation on the below tour 

Thanks so much.

Whale Watching & Alaska Salmon Bake

Join the collective chorus of "Oohs!" and "Aahs!" on your action-packed whale-watching cruise. Some 65 humpback and orca whales return each season to feed in the nutrient-rich waters near Juneau, so whale sightings are guaranteed. In fact, if a whale is not spotted during your cruise you'll receive a $100 refund ($50 for children). Take it all in from the open deck or the large windows in the observation salon. Then transfer to the Gold Creek Salmon Bake for an all-you-can-eat buffet featuring wild Alaska salmon grilled over an alder wood fire. Roast marshmallows, visit the Salmon Creek Trading Post and see the Salmon Creek waterfall and old mine artifacts. A convenient shuttle service departs for the pier every 15 to 20 minutes, so you can return to your ship at your leisure. You'll strike the mother lode of adventure on this easy, full-day tour showcasing the best of picturesque Juneau!

vs Harv and Marvs wahle watching?

I find the salmon bake underwhelming.  The salmon is ok, but you can get better at local restaurants, and I didn't like the side dishes very much.  Also, the Princess boat is big and usually packed so it's hard to get a good spot at the rail.  Harv and Marv's boat is much smaller.

Harv and Marv hands down.

As for all the "Bake" excursions, personally, I'm on a cruise ship already. I don't need to be carted off with the masses to eat. 

Harv and Marv for the whales, then seek out some local grub on your own.

• Like 2

I ditto Harv and Marv - smaller boat, great crew! We only saw backs and tails, but one flipped its tail about 20 feet from the boat (the whale had decided to come to us, not the other way around!). You can then find a place to eat back in Juneau if you wish to do so.