NCL Prima rescue of 12 at sea!

The NCL Prima made a turn on 1-27-24 as makeshift ‘boat’ had been spotted with people waving a white piece of cloth.  One of the lifeboats was launched at about 4:30 pm. As cruise passengers watched from every deck, two trips were made to the craft picking up 12 total people who were on it.  A beautiful rainbow and the empty craft were IMG_9203.thumb.jpeg.4a706726eddfb5aff807faa8bd67c026.jpegseen after the rescue and then a lovely sunset could be seen as the lifeboat was raised back up into place.  We are now enroute to Costa Maya, Mexico as planned with 12 more souls onboard. 

IMG_9193.jpeg

IMG_9205.jpeg

• Like 6

Those brave souls setting out with the hopes of making it to the US.  I hope they are not from Cuba, as I believe they will be sent back to their Motherland.  Prayers for those who have been rescued 🙏🏻.  Please do not interpret this post as an affirmative vote for open borders.  

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Those brave souls setting out with the hopes of making it to the US.  I hope they are not from Cuba, as I believe they will be sent back to their Motherland.  Prayers for those who have been rescued 🙏🏻.  Please do not interpret this post as an affirmative vote for open borders.  

I hope we can be happy that 12 people did not die of exposure or drowning without making it political.  Let’s see.  

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Beer Belly said:

Is it a requirement they disembark at the next port ?

I believe so. My brother in law is with us. He was a CBP agent (Customs and Border Protection-immigration) for 30 years. He says when we dock in Costa Maya tomorrow the Mexican Immigration and Custom agents will take custody of them. They cannot continue on the ship having no documents. 

We were asked by the cruise director not to take pictures or video of them but, there are dramatic pictures on FB of anguished faces and the rudimentary home made ‘boat’ they were in. They were taken by someone with a Canon camera with a great lens. Those pictures are heart wrenching to see. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, laudergayle said:

Time for me and many others on here to pause a moment and thank our great God in heaven for the blessed lives we've been given.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

They were just taken by Mexican Government officials in 2 vans accompanied by their National Guard.  Some of them were in wheel chairs. Praying for them.  

I guess not Mexican, but thinking they were Cuban. I have no idea if Mexico and Cuba have any agreements about returning refugees. All I can do is pray. 

IMG_9238.jpeg

IMG_9239.jpeg

IMG_9236.jpeg

The captain announced after all were safely off ship, that they had been out to sea for 40 days. They had started out with a small motor that ended up quitting. He said they only had the sail after that and were depending on rain water. They did not end up where they wanted to go. There was at least one ambulance we noted, maybe two. 

I will never forget this experience and am so thankful. Thank you all for prayers for them!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, laudergayle said:

Thank you for sharing.  It hurts my heart to know that people go to such extremes to escape their reality.  I honestly can’t imagine.  ❤️🙏🏻

My thoughts as well.  This is definitely heart-wrenching, especially if they are forced to return to the same place and circumstances.  Shouldn’t no one be forced to live in any way they do not choose in the year 2024.

• Like 3