Dress code enforcement for dinner

Kastaka

16 hours ago, sofietucker said:

The core issue--on all the endless dress code threads, and the accompanying drama--is fundamental disrespect. It's "How can I get away with breaking the rules?" It's a middle-finger salute to their fellow passengers, the officers, and the crew. It's a childish "You can't make me!" 

Folks will tie themselves in knots to not "have to" wear this or that. But no one is MAKING you! Easy solution: eat in the buffet! They literally serve much of the same food. Or even order surf & turf in room service. But no. Folks want to get out there and wag it in everyone's faces: "Ha ha ha! Lookit me! I got away with it!"

We once sat at a table for 12 where everyone else was in tuxes or dark suits and one clown paraded his sleazy shiny oversized tee shirt with a bow tie screenprinted on it. His companion in her dressy gown was clearly uncomfortable. We all felt his sneer was directed right at us, losers who follow the guidelines. 

But that's what these folks want to do: ruin everyone else's time with their rebellion. Because they are too immature to tolerate wearing a collar for two hours.. They are also the ones who get kicked out of cathedrals in their shorts and ball caps.

(PS: Julie can simply wear slacks and be comfy; no one makes anyone wear a dress.)

I'd rather cruise with someone who is wearing shorts and a polo to dinner then judgemental a.hs. who probably look more offensive stuffing their ample proportions into so called evening wear.  I notice poor behavior, loud cackling, bragging blowhards far more then the length of a pair of shorts.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Notagoose said:

I would have paid good money to witness this. 

it was sad really.. shows  a lack of self control, disrespect for others ..at least she was not driving!  

thread will likely  be closed soon..so moving on !

12 hours ago, C4HCG said:

I get more offended by people’s behaviour than what people wear. Bad behaviour can ruin things, if someone has for example worn shorts in the MDR I wouldn’t even notice.

Give me shorts in the dining room over a chair hog any day (and I do follow the suggested dress code).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

I'd rather cruise with someone who is wearing shorts and a polo to dinner then judgemental a.hs. who probably look more offensive stuffing their ample proportions into so called evening wear.  I notice poor behavior, loud cackling, bragging blowhards far more then the length of a pair of shorts.  

If you want to wear flip flops and shorts to the dining room, you go right ahead.  Aren't you being judgmental yourself?

26 minutes ago, zitsky said:

If you want to wear flip flops and shorts to the dining room, you go right ahead.  Aren't you being judgmental yourself?

Ah, must have struck a nerve somewhere!  

I feel like people get lost in the sauce when it comes to dress codes, some people feel like it's showing up to a wedding naked, I feel like it's showing up to a pot luck. What you bring doesn't have to be Michelin rated but people will appreciate it if you put a little effort it.

Others have alluded to it here; your behavior is what people are going to remember. 

I'll share this pearl: a clean pair of dark Levi's works for any occasion, including chic night.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AllHandsAstern said:

I feel like people get lost in the sauce when it comes to dress codes, some people feel like it's showing up to a wedding naked, I feel like it's showing up to a pot luck. What you bring doesn't have to be Michelin rated but people will appreciate it if you put a little effort it.

Others have alluded to it here; your behavior is what people are going to remember. 

I'll share this pearl: a clean pair of dark Levi's works for any occasion, including chic night.

Shouldn’t people just accept me “as I am”?  It’s so elitist to say no flip flops or ripped tshirts at dinner.  I need to express my personality!  😭

5 hours ago, AllHandsAstern said:

This^ Our worst experience with table mates was a mother and son on a different cruise line, that would have met the chic night standards every night and probably more strict lines like Cunard as well on many nights as well. But what made them memorable was how rude they were to the staff, always complaining about everything.

To be fair we did have an underperforming pair of servers, but the head server was working hard to cover it. There are very nice ways to deal with issues like that, but they chose a different route. This was on a 16 night cruise too, but we didn't let it ruin our trip, but did joke about it on a night or two when they chose to eat in specialty dining to lighten the mood.

7 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Shouldn’t people just accept me “as I am”?  It’s so elitist to say no flip flops or ripped tshirts at dinner.  I need to express my personality!  😭

For me, see my post above this one, if you are friendly and good company during dinner, I really could not care how you dress. 

The best dinner conversations and atmosphere we have ever had on a cruise was on our Galapagos trip on the Expedition that we just returned from. The dress code every night was casual, shorts were acceptable, and the conversations and overall feel of the dining room was the most positive I have ever seen. Granted it is a trip of the lifetime for many, but it was very refreshing to experience.

Edited by cgolf1

4 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

This^ Our worst experience with table mates was a mother and son on a different cruise line, that would have met the chic night standards every night and probably more strict lines like Cunard as well on many nights as well. But what made them memorable was how rude they were to the staff, always complaining about everything.

To be fair we did have an underperforming pair of servers, but the head server was working hard to cover it. There are very nice ways to deal with issues like that, but they chose a different route. This was on a 16 night cruise too, but we didn't let it ruin our trip, but did joke about it on a night or two when they chose to eat in specialty dining to lighten the mood.

It depends on the person.  I’d remember someone who came to Blu in flip flops and a tshirt every night.