Extra Entree Fee and Menus

Reds4life

We are going on a cruise in the Mediterranean in June. I wanted to get a little clarity and a little information if possible from other cruisers. First, I have read different things about the extra entree $5 fee. Is that just on US based sailings? Is it for any entree or just the daily offerings - meaning you can get more than one of the "Always Available" or a combination of one of the daily specials and one "Always Available" without a charge? Do the menus different in the Mediterranean from the US based sailings? 

There was no charge for an extra mains when we sailed the Med last October (and that’s since the policy was introduced on US sailings).  You could order as much as you liked from the menu. 

The menus do differ slightly as MSC tries to accommodate American tastes on US sailings.  Also, the US dollar is the currency on those cruises, whereas it’s Euros on European sailings (and, I believe, it can be Sterling on UK cruises). 

20 minutes ago, Reds4life said:

Is it for any entree or just the daily offerings - meaning you can get more than one of the "Always Available" or a combination of one of the daily specials and one "Always Available" without a charge?

No, you can't get around it that way, note the little '+' symbol:

image.png.7ba7e22c7e000a8c81578bb584ea44af.png

So far at least, MSC have only felt this was a necessary restriction on US departures, so you should be fine in the Med.

But you can get a Classic pasta along with one of the entrees for no additional charge? US or Europe? Am I reading that correct? We always have enjoyed their pasta selections before the main dish and were hoping to still be able to do that

4 minutes ago, Reds4life said:

But you can get a Classic pasta along with one of the entrees for no additional charge? US or Europe? Am I reading that correct? We always have enjoyed their pasta selections before the main dish and were hoping to still be able to do that

In Europe - yes.  The menus should be similar to what you’ll be offered on your sailing.  Hope you have a wonderful cruise. 

26 minutes ago, Reds4life said:

If MSC not would allow primi before secondi on a cruise in the Med I guess three months later they would go out of business 😄

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, perakcruiser said:

If MSC not would allow primi before secondi on a cruise in the Med I guess three months later they would go out of business 😄

How true, P.  🤣

2 hours ago, Beamafar said:

In Europe - yes.  The menus should be similar to what you’ll be offered on your sailing.  Hope you have a wonderful cruise. 

In the USA too based on that menu, as the pasta options did not carry the same '+'.

As ever implementation may vary from ship to ship of course.

I am very excited! Thanks to all of you for the information. This is our first time outside North America, so we are not very well-versed in anything European or Mediterranean 😂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Reds4life said:

I am very excited! Thanks to all of you for the information. This is our first time outside North America, so we are not very well-versed in anything European or Mediterranean 😂

Almost everything works in a very similar way.

The biggest differences can be found in the food or drink, with a style closer to typical dishes from countries in the area (be careful, for any of us who live in this area, there are things from other countries that we have never heard of and they are also surprise). The food may have less salt than what you are used to (it shouldn't be a problem, you add more salt and it's solved. The problem would be the other way around)

Regarding drinks, mainly European wines, from many countries, and beers and other brands from the area.
I believe that if the drink is good, the origin or the brand does not matter. It's even an opportunity to try something new.

Otherwise, the cruise routine should be no different for you.

What port will you leave from?

2 minutes ago, Reds4life said:

We leave from Istanbul. I hardly use any salt on food so I am good there. My wife seems to think that the desserts may be less sweet, is that true? 

It is a matter of taste. I like very sweet desserts and I don't find them lacking in sugar.
Maybe someone who has been on cruises in various places can clarify this for us.

Well, one thing you will notice is that the PA will probably be in six languages, that the shows will look for something without words and that they will try to make everything multilingual.
Listening to how they say the numbers in six languages at full speed in bingo is a show in itself.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mark_T said:

In the USA too based on that menu, as the pasta options did not carry the same '+'.

As ever implementation may vary from ship to ship of course.

I'm on the Meraviglia right now and ordered the pasta options as a starter and there's no extra charge.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Reds4life said:

We leave from Istanbul. I hardly use any salt on food so I am good there. My wife seems to think that the desserts may be less sweet, is that true? 

Well, after experiencing the desserts in Istanbul, you will probably find any dessert anywhere else "less sweet". Which be no means is a reason to avoid the desserts in Turkey 🙂 Do not forget the mandatory visit at Hafiz Mustafa on Istiklal Street, they know how to do desserts since 1864. Or any other of the "legends" in Istanbul.