New to NCL and have some questions

Hello, we have been cruising Carnival for years now and have never had a bad cruise. However NCL sent us an offer that is much better than Carnival is offering same week from New Orleans (we live hour from port). The offer has free drink package and specialty dinning. Getaway is the ship. So here are some questions.

1. Do we have to make reservations for eating all at once on day 1?

2. Is there an included adult only area?

3. I found out Geyaway has thermal suites (we LOVE thermal suites on Carnival Dream), how much are 7 day passes?

4. Do we have to make entertainment reservations for entire trip?

Just for reference we have sailed on Carnival's Dream, Elation, Triumph, Glory, and Valor.

I know I have more question but that's a good start. Thank you for any and all information. 

If you want specialty restaurant reservations you should make them by the first day if possible. No need for reservations in the MDR, but you can make them at any time if you want. Spice h2o is adult only during the day. Thermal spas are very nice and prices vary by ships and dates.

They release some reservation spots that you can book through the app or their web site starting 21 days before your cruise.  You might not see any but you can always book once you’re on board.  Same for the main theater shows.  You can usually book 21 days prior but if not you can do it once on board.  You do not have to make reservations for the main dining room, just specialty dining.

Getaway has Spice H2O which is adults only during the day.  At 6pm?  8pm?  it open to all because they might show movies or have parties there.  Spice has a bar, two hot tubs and another water feature.  They do allow smoking there, on the side by the bar.  There is no additional charge for Spice H2O, unlike the Vibe.  The Vibe is always adults only, has a bar & hot tubs and does not allow smoking but there’s an extra charge for it.

You can make specialty reservation online or by the app starting 120 days before sailing.  You can also make MDR reservations but they are not needed.  There are three MDRs on the Getaway and they are all my time dining.  

Getaway has Spice H20 which is adults only and included.  

The only shows you can reserve ahead of time is Million Dollar Quartet and Burn the Floor.  You can make them at 21 days before sailing.

41 minutes ago, slavigne5577 said:

Hello, we have been cruising Carnival for years now and have never had a bad cruise. However NCL sent us an offer that is much better than Carnival is offering same week from New Orleans (we live hour from port). The offer has free drink package and specialty dinning. Getaway is the ship. So here are some questions.

3. I found out Geyaway has thermal suites (we LOVE thermal suites on Carnival Dream), how much are 7 day passes?

Just for reference we have sailed on Carnival's Dream, Elation, Triumph, Glory, and Valor.

I know I have more question but that's a good start. Thank you for any and all information. 

Main Dining Rooms are Freestyle Dining. Show up you are hungry or when it fits your busy onboard schedule. There are three Main Dining Rooms, Tropicana, Taste, Savor. All serve the same menu. You are seated at the first available table for your party. 

Specialty Dining reservations open 120 days prior to departure (unless you are in a Club Balcony or Haven Suite which open 125 and 130 respectively). Log on at midnight eastern time at 120 day for the best selection of times. 

Spice H20 at the back of the ship is Adults only during the day. 

We never sail without a Thermal Suite pass. Pricing vary by ship and can be booked online (hint: if you have a booking, log in and check the price) 

NCL has been slowly moving away from show reservations. Of available, you can book online 21 days before departure at the same time you do checkin. You may be able to book Burn the Floor and the Million Dollar Quartet. 

21 days midnight eastern is when you select a checkin time at the port. Early times sell out quickly after midnight. 

On embarkation day, restaurant reservations can be made or changed in Teppanyaki, Deck 6 midship. Show reservations can be made at the Box Office Deck 7 forward starboard theater entrance or at Headliners Comedy Club Deck 6 midship. 

Drink package pays for the first $15 of each drink. Everything we order is under $15. You pay the difference if you go over $15. ($16 drink costs $1.00+$0.20 gratuity = $1.20). Two drinks at a time. No limit. 

Welcome to NCL. 

Edited by BirdTravels

Coming from Carnival, dress codes are just suggestions. Are there dress up nights on NCL and if so how dressed up?

Also, are there refrigerators in all rooms?

What's the outlet situation? 

Do things go on sale before cruise?

Edited by slavigne5577

I don’t think there are any formal nights on NCL.  There is a loose dress code for the restaurants, basically no bathing suits, baseball caps, men’s tank tops, flip flops, torn jeans are on the “not allowed in MDR & specialty restaurants”.  I have seen people wearing these things so I don’t know how much they enforce it.  If you book some of the specialty restaurants (specifically Le Bistro) they want men to wear a collared shirt and I don’t think shorts are allowed.  Again, people probably do get in wearing them but they might turn you away.

Studio solo cabins do not have a refrigerator.  The rest of the cabins do.

There will be US and European outlets in the cabins.  Some will have USB ports in lamps by the bed.  You can get a European->US adapter on Amazon to take advantage of those outlets if you’re worried there may not be enough.  

I don’t think things go on sale before the cruise but certain things might be cheaper if you book in advance, like extra specialty dining.

Thank you, I am seriously thinking of putting the deposit down. Is there anything I should know before I make it official. Also was emailed by a NCL agent asking for me to get in touch before making deposit. Are there any advantages to going though agents?

if this is the cruise you want, from the departure point you want as well as the price at which you are comfortable paying, put down the deposit and dont give it a 2nd thought.

also, if you end up with buyers remorse, you can cancel and get a full refund up to 120 days before sailing. the only advantage i have ever found using one of ncl agents, is they can put the entire package together for you. ie, if  youre entitled to any discounts, ordering transportation to-from the airport to ship and back, etc. when i decide what ship, dates, prices and cabin, i then call the agent and give him/her the info.

5 hours ago, slavigne5577 said:

Coming from Carnival, dress codes are just suggestions. Are there dress up nights on NCL and if so how dressed up?

Also, are there refrigerators in all rooms?

What's the outlet situation? 

Do things go on sale before cruise?

Shorts are allowed in all dining rooms for all meals except Ocean Blue and Le Bistro where gents are asked to wear long pants (dockers and jeans are ok). 

NCL embraces “Dress up or Not’. Dress is totally up to you. 

‘There are minibars in rooms. You can use them. 

There are outlets at the desk which are not near the bed. US and European power. 

No sales. 

On 2/3/2024 at 2:30 PM, slavigne5577 said:

The other responses are correct, but I can see how you might be confused.

First, find a U-tube review of the Getaway from the last 12 months.  Full ship walk through, or specific cruise experiences.

Be sure to get an NCL latitudes number when you book, although I think that is automatic now.  You will need it to set up an account on line and with the app.

Getaway is a Breakaway (BA) class ship, which was followed by BA+ ships.  The basic footprint is the same for all of them.  BA+ adds some extra bars and restaurants, and some extra rooms.

There are 3 main dining rooms, a 24 hours mid-ship dinning option (O'Sheehans or The Local) and several specialty restaurants.  (and of course, the buffet) You will get 1 or 2 specialties depending on room choice.

As stated, you do not need reservations for MDR's.

For specialties, you can reserve at 120 days out, which is also the time for full cruise payment.  

Recommend reviewing the ship on NCL.com for the description of each specialty.

Adult only areas are Spice H2O, on the aft deck 16 or 17.  It has a small smoking area on the starboard side, but over 80% of it is non-smoking.  2 hot tubs are there.

The Vibe Beach Club is forward on deck 18 or 19 and has a hot tub.  It is a pay for use, and typically sells out early. I would recommend not buying for your first NCL cruise.  Depending on time of year when you sail, the main pool area and Spice H2O might suite you needs.  Also, there is an area outside the Vibe that is available for sunning, with a small bar. As with most cruises, the pool areas and chair hogs need to be expected.  There are typically lots of chairs, but spread out in many areas not near the pool.

We don't use the spa, so can't comment.  The price will be on the web site after you book.

Entertainment reservations are for the 2 production shows in the theater.  Seating typically can be done 21 days prior with the app or on line.  You can also use the large info screens near the elevators on the main decks (6, 7, 8).  Even if you don't get a reservation (which simply lets you in the door, and is NOT an assigned seat), you can wait in the stand by line, which forms ~30 minutes before the shows, and lets you in 10 minutes before the show.  We have found the later shows are a bit less crowded, but that may vary by cruise.

All other shows in the theater, bars and clubs are first come first serve.   See the daily for times and performers.  There will be a mixture of solo, duet, and small bands.

The Atrium in the center of the ship, deck 6 hosts many events during the day and night, including trivia, game shows, bands, and passenger competitions. All free, seating is iffy, but available if you are patient.

You will find the Getaway deck 8 outdoor promenade to be something not offered on Carnival ships.  There are two outdoor bars, and many shaded loungers for watching the world go by.  It is also a popular walking area in the morning vs the jogging track which is on the upper decks. 

15 hours ago, ExploringTheGlobe said:

I'm new to NCL also.  Are there any specialty restaurants not included in a dining package?  I am on the Pearl next week and have a package for 3 specialty dines. 

All restaurants on the Pearl are available to you. 

Le Bistro, La Cucina and Cagney's are ala carte and you get 1 app, 1 soup/salad, 1 entree, 2 sides(if they have side) and 1 dessert.  A couple of items on each menu might be extra but they are labeled as Dining package supplement with a price. 

Moderno is a Brazilian style churrascaria and they bring around different meats and you tell them what you want.  You also get access to the salad bar.

Teppanyaki is like any hibachi restaurant on land.  You pick your meat and it comes with miso soup, ginger salad, fried rice and vegetables.  

The sushi restaurant allows you 4 items per credit used and you can share items if you only want to use 1 credit.  

Edited by Liljo22
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, slavigne5577 said:

How does the embarkation work for NCL? Do they assign times or is it a free for all?

I have only sailed out of NYC.  When the time comes to do your online check in (21 days before embarkation; earlier if you're Haven or some other priority group) you can choose a check in time on the app.  The check in time you choose is NOT the time you will board the ship.  It's simply the time you can go through security, check in at the counter, get your picture taken and you are given your key card and a boarding group number.  Again, if you are Haven, disabled or a few other groups you will get priority boarding.  Everyone else gets a group number.  Once boarding starts, they call the priority groups first and then start calling the regular groups. 

If you choose the earliest check in time (9:00? 9:30?) you will be sitting in the terminal for around 2 to 2.5 hours before boarding actually begins. The terminal can get crowded, not enough seats for everyone and the workers will keep yelling at you to stay out of the center area and to stand in the area with the seats.  People don't listen.

Once the boarding starts it does go quickly.  Some people want to be the first on the ship either because they want to eat right away or want to book shows or specialty dining.  Other people choose later check in times and once they're checked in they can walk right onto the ship.  So, it depends on how eager you are to get on board.  If you're willing to wait and have no need to rush on it is much more relaxing.

2 hours ago, slavigne5577 said:

How does the embarkation work for NCL? Do they assign times or is it a free for all?

When you get to the 21 day prior point, you may do your online check in, which includes selecting a time for the check in at the pier. You choose whatever (available) slot appeals to you. If you arrive later, it does not matter. If you arrive earlier, you probably can get on the line at that earlier time without a problem as well.

As an example, I departed from LA last month. Assigned time was 11. Got there about 10:45. Got on the long line; took about 45 minutes to get through and was able to board immediately afterward.

When we arrived at the terminal, there were sections of seated folks waiting to be called for boarding after they had (earlier) checked in. When we finished check in, they were all gone.

Choose your poison - arrive early and then wait (unless you have some sort of priority boarding access) or come later and probably spend less time in the terminal.

6 hours ago, slavigne5577 said:

Do the food menus change from day to day in MDRs? 

There will be 5 offerings that are the same, and 6 (beef, chicken, pork, seafood, veggie, fish) that change.  4 apps that change every day, 3 or 4 that don't, although not as much variety there overall.