Group Cruise

Hi, maybe I am blind but is there a forum on here for group cruising?  I am getting together a class reunion type (our 60th birthday actually) cruise and plan on Jan. 4, 2025 on the Carnival Freedom at this time.  But I don't see a place where I can see other people group cruise questions etc.  Am I missing it?  Thanks in advance!  

I'm kind of surprised there is not a group cruising forum.   

We do a lot of family/friend group cruises ranging anywhere from 6 to 25 people.  

I'm not sure what you mean by "class reunion type" but if it is extensive I would contact the cruise line or a travel agent for assistance.  

31 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I'm kind of surprised there is not a group cruising forum.   

Could you imagine how that board would be abused by TA's and others trying to recruit people into their "Group" just for the group leader benefits?

Goup tours and group slot pulls are bad enough.

Just now, klfrodo said:

Could you imagine how that board would be abused by TA's and others trying to recruit people into their "Group" just for the group leader benefits?

Goup tours and group slot pulls are bad enough.

I suspect that could be a real issue.  I suppose it could happen with any "specialty" cruise.  

I think there would be a lot of discussion about cabin locations, MDR reservations nd dining tables near each other, how to arrange port days and sea days, and of course, how to book.   

On our last family group land trip, the shared itinerary included what colors to wear each day. Like Tuesday would be red or orange, etc.  I thought it was nuts, but then kind of got into it.  

Unless you're only dealing with a few people, I would definitely find a good cruise-expert travel agent who can answer some questions but, more importantly, take the bookings and do the customer service so you don't lose your mind putting the group together.  I organized a Caribbean cruise for 100 clients many years ago ... we did morning seminars and some special cocktail parties.  We all got together at dinner as well.  Managing the dinners was a lot of work, we had some special guests and I wanted to move them around from table to table so everyone could meet them.  The DR Manager and I became very good friends; I remember he was very worried about his guys getting tipped properly but couldn't bring himself to actually tell me that.  After about 20 minutes of round and round, I finally figured it out.  I handled all the tips, so everybody was happy.  I suggest you find a couple of Lieutenants to help with all the details ... there are far more details than you think possible.  Everyone wants your attention, so dividing up the responsibilities would be a great help.  Good luck, I look back on that cruise proudly; it was a great success.

• Like 1

It will really make a difference if you are in close contact with the group. If so, a few conference calls will cover the booking and group dynamics. 

For our group cruises, we all know to get together for dinner.  If the group is larger than one table, it is fairly easy to get tables together.   Other than that, folks are free to do what they want.  But in practice,  most will group together on one or two different excursion choices, most will group together for shows or other activities, and most will group together for other meals.  With current Apps, it is easy to communicate with everyone.  The locater function on the Princess App in particular is very useful.  Even when doing their own thing, it is common to bump into others in the group.  

For booking the cruise, we have found it isn't necessary to have a group of cabins together.   Typically, they are on the same deck, but that is far from essential.  For the most part folks book their own cabins using the same travel agent.  

For travel to the cruise,  we may or may not be on the same flight.  Everyone handles their own ticketing.  How to get from airport to cruise terminal or hotel is shared ahead of time.   We are fortunate to have a couple of people who handle which hotel(s) will be used, and they are pretty good at it.  Once the hotel is identified, reservations are handled individually.  Even staying in the same hotel isn't a necessity.  On our last group land trip in Milan, some of the group was in a hotel and some in a nearby Air BNB.  It worked just fine.  

If you are the organizer, make some choices and lay out some things ahead of time.  Ask for group feedback.  Most will just go along.  

Thank you all.  We are from the class of 1983 and next year most of us turn 60 so who ever from my class that wants to go is planning to go.  That is what I mean by a class reunion type.  I have a great TA but I like to do my own research too so that is why I was asking.  No idea how many will go, we are finalizing the date tonight and then will get everyone the TA's info to start booking.  Cannot wait!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, beaming90 said:

Thank you all.  We are from the class of 1983 and next year most of us turn 60 so who ever from my class that wants to go is planning to go.  That is what I mean by a class reunion type.  I have a great TA but I like to do my own research too so that is why I was asking.  No idea how many will go, we are finalizing the date tonight and then will get everyone the TA's info to start booking.  Cannot wait!!

In your case I don't think most of my comments (#7) would apply or be very helpful. Logistics are probably best left to the TA.  Either way, sounds like it could be fun.  

You definitely need a good TA and get them to put a hold on a certain number of cabins in a few categories. What, in addition to the cruise line comps will the TA give you? Ours tossed in a welcome cocktail hour, handled everyone’s registration (that was a real benefit with so many cruise rookies), printed and distributing final docs and arranged to have us sitting at adjacent tables

You definitely want to have people book through the TA . . . chasing final payment is no fun.
Find out the cruise line’s group benefits . . . How many cabins to get a comped fare? How is the level of the comp fare determined. What else will they do for you? We had a farewell cocktail hour on the cruise line. I’m sure it didn’t hurt that almost all of us were on one of the beverage packages. 

• Like 2