Snorkelling or Scuba Diving recommendations for next week

chinni

We will be in Cozumel for a day next week on a carnival cruise- Family of 4..kids 13 and 11. 13 year old wants to explore the reefs and younger one wants beach.

Is there a way we can accommodate both? looks like NO

So wondering if you can recommend scuba places or snorkelling

I have read through this forums and @mitsugirly blogs 

for Boatsnorkelling - https://cozumelcruiseexcursions.net/ as recommended by @mitsugirly

For diving - h20 and cozudive

We havent dived before - what options should we choose for diving? are there any good dive shops by the pier where we can walk to ?

Any help/guidance is appreciated

What about trying Snuba for the first time?  The place that comes to mind for me is Chankanaab, which has a large beach for the younger one and then the 13 year old can "try" out scuba by doing snuba. (You don't carry the tank on your back for snuba and you are limited to  the length of the air hose, which is attached to the air at the surface that floats around on a boat, which is usually around 20' down). 

OR

Chankanaab also has scuba diving too now that I think about it. Try contacting them for details. 

• Like 1

thanks - this is our first cruise and want to get the best reef experience. i have read and re-read a lot on Chankanaab(including your blog @mitsugirly) doesnt seem like a beach you can run from sand to water..13 year old is a boy and would like to explore boat diving i was thinking

1 hour ago, chinni said:

thanks - this is our first cruise and want to get the best reef experience. i have read and re-read a lot on Chankanaab(including your blog @mitsugirly) doesnt seem like a beach you can run from sand to water..13 year old is a boy and would like to explore boat diving i was thinking

There is a smaller cove beach at Chankanaab that you can go from the sand into the water. 

Here's a picture of the area:

image.thumb.jpeg.ba992697e71697a6df85c7b2bbe302d2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1deec31fa6962d85125227033ab370df.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.fff0f20461f85b2e53ff34f6e964ca81.jpeg

It's much smaller than the area in front of the snorkeling, which you have to walk down the steps in. 

I HIGHLY suggest NOT doing a boat scuba for his first time. Cozumel is more of a drift scuba and the water can really pull you sideways. I would never do that as a first scuba. You want to go somewhere that the water is more calm. 

What other ports are you going to? Is another port a possibility to scuba in by boat?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chinni said:

We will be in Cozumel for a day next week on a carnival cruise- Family of 4..kids 13 and 11. 13 year old wants to explore the reefs and younger one wants beach.

Is there a way we can accommodate both? looks like NO

So wondering if you can recommend scuba places or snorkelling

I have read through this forums and @mitsugirly blogs 

for Boatsnorkelling - https://cozumelcruiseexcursions.net/ as recommended by @mitsugirly

For diving - h20 and cozudive

We havent dived before - what options should we choose for diving? are there any good dive shops by the pier where we can walk to ?

Any help/guidance is appreciated

I am not sure what you are looking for people to suggest?

If you have studied mitsugirly blog you are probably aware of most of the localities that are available for snorkeling from shore, although some of her  reviews are quite old now. She has reviews on most snorkeling places on Cozumel, at least most of the child friendly locations. There is Fury catamaran if you want more entertainment and activities or you can go independent snorkel tour but I don’t see that being much fun for the child that wants a beach.

When you say you haven’t dived, do you mean ever (as in not certified) or in Cozumel? Whether you can walk to a dive shop depends on which pier you are docking at? the answer is most likely, yes but you will probably need to pre-reserve. 

Again the type of dive would depend on your qualifications? If new to diving perhaps snuba or helmet dive? 

Does your 11 year old want added activities on the beach, or are they content with just sand? 

I see Mitsugirly has just replied. I would also suggest Chankanaab or perhaps Bucannos or El Cozumeleno day pass (although it always gets mixed food reviews) or Play Uvas. Sunset Beach is where a lot of the beginner cruise ship excursions take place for Discover scuba or snuba but again no beach and nothing really for the other child to do if they don’t want to try. You don’t indicate whether an adult would be staying with each child? If so Nachi Cocom or Palancar are examples of beach locations with add-on boat snorkel.

Depending on how strong a swimmer your teen is, keep in mind the water can be rough and the currents variable (usually drift snorkeling).

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

Keep in mind the near reefs in Cozumel have been severely damaged over the years by storms and are currently undergoing some restoration and artificial reefs in places. The main reefs are offshore and more suited to diving and although there are some snorkeling excursions many consider them too deep to be worthwhile except for experienced swimmers.

Edited by c-leg5

2 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

I am not sure what you are looking for people to suggest?

If you have studied mitsugirly blog you are probably aware of most of the localities that are available for snorkeling from shore, although some of her  reviews are quite old now. She has reviews on most snorkeling places on Cozumel, at least most of the child friendly locations. There is Fury catamaran if you want more entertainment and activities or you can go independent snorkel tour but I don’t see that being much fun for the child that wants a beach.

When you say you haven’t dived, do you mean ever (as in not certified) or in Cozumel? Whether you can walk to a dive shop depends on which pier you are docking at? the answer is most likely, yes but you will probably need to pre-reserve. 

Again the type of dive would depend on your qualifications? If new to diving perhaps snuba or helmet dive? 

Does your 11 year old want added activities on the beach, or are they content with just sand? 

I see Mitsugirly has just replied. I would also suggest Chankanaab or perhaps Bucannos or El Cozumeleno day pass (although it always gets mixed food reviews) or Play Uvas. Sunset Beach is where a lot of the beginner cruise ship excursions take place for Discover scuba or snuba but again no beach and nothing really for the other child to do if they don’t want to try. You don’t indicate whether an adult would be staying with each child? If so Nachi Cocom or Palancar are examples of beach locations with add-on boat snorkel.

Depending on how strong a swimmer your teen is, keep in mind the water can be rough and the currents variable (usually drift snorkeling).

thank you very much - Really appreciate it. Fury cataraman is out of service.I think we will go with Chank then

3 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

There is a smaller cove beach at Chankanaab that you can go from the sand into the water. 

Here's a picture of the area:

image.thumb.jpeg.ba992697e71697a6df85c7b2bbe302d2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1deec31fa6962d85125227033ab370df.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.fff0f20461f85b2e53ff34f6e964ca81.jpeg

It's much smaller than the area in front of the snorkeling, which you have to walk down the steps in. 

I HIGHLY suggest NOT doing a boat scuba for his first time. Cozumel is more of a drift scuba and the water can really pull you sideways. I would never do that as a first scuba. You want to go somewhere that the water is more calm. 

What other ports are you going to? Is another port a possibility to scuba in by boat?

thank you very much - I. may have misread your blog -Isnt this small area an additional charge on top of thee entry fee?

I just will go with your suggestion - Chanknaab it is. we havee neever diveed evr and its just one port at Cozumel and we are headed back to US

48 minutes ago, chinni said:

thank you very much - I. may have misread your blog -Isnt this small area an additional charge on top of thee entry fee?

I just will go with your suggestion - Chanknaab it is. we havee neever diveed evr and its just one port at Cozumel and we are headed back to US

No additional charge for the beaches. The smaller sandy beach is closest to the entry area and will come to that before the snorkeling area.

if you want to try scuba ask the dive shop there at Chanknaab about it. I believe they take you along the wall (where the steps are to get in) and there’s some cool statues down there as well. He would probably enjoy it as a first timer and give him an idea of if he even likes scuba. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chinni said:

Fury cataraman is out of service.

Sorry I didn’t realize! There are TripAdvisor reviews from January 2024 but of course you never know if they are recent or genuine. 

1 hour ago, chinni said:

Isnt this small area an additional charge on top of thee entry fee?

No charge for the beach within the park, or the pool, from my recent correspondence with them. Are you confusing with the Cabana Beach section? Unfortunately the zipline and paintball sections seem to be closed so I am not sure how much there is that would appeal to an 11 year old.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Sorry I didn’t realize! There are TripAdvisor reviews from January 2024 but of course you never know if they are recent or genuine. 

No charge for the beach within the park, or the pool, from my recent correspondence with them. Are you confusing with the Cabana Beach section? Unfortunately the zipline and paintball sections seem to be closed so I am not sure how much there is that would appeal to an 11 year old.

this is a good one - 

Chank entry is $28

If we go through caban beach its $19 but you pay for the cabana. that is additional $125.. hoping that the cabana and chank sandy beach arent too far from each other

1 hour ago, chinni said:

this is a good one - 

Chank entry is $28

If we go through caban beach its $19 but you pay for the cabana. that is additional $125.. hoping that the cabana and chank sandy beach arent too far from each other

Cabana Beach is at the far end of the park away from the entrance. It is a private area. Shown on the park map. It originally had its own back entrance but now I think you have to walk through the whole park to it.

Although you pay a reduced entrance to the park it includes reduced amenities too, for example I don’t think it allows access to the swimming pool without an extra fee if that is important. It has its own website and I am sure further reviews on TripAdvisor. The website allows you to choose an actual cabana with the price displayed on a given date and then you need to pay a per person park fee extra. Chankanaab is very quick to answer email questions. 

There are some reviews on this forum for Cabana Beach if you use the search function. 

I have seen the area but haven’t actually used it. I am not sure if it is natural beach or imported sandy area as access to the sea is also down steps I think - most of that coastline is rocky ironshore. You would need to research further if that is important. 

Edited by c-leg5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Cabana Beach is at the far end of the park away from the entrance. It is a private area. Shown on the park map. It originally had its own back entrance but now I think you have to walk through the whole park to it.

Although you pay a reduced entrance to the park it includes reduced amenities too, for example I don’t think it allows access to the swimming pool without an extra fee if that is important. It has its own website and I am sure further reviews on TripAdvisor. The website allows you to choose an actual cabana with the price displayed on a given date and then you need to pay a per person park fee extra. Chankanaab is very quick to answer email questions. 

There are some reviews on this forum for Cabana Beach if you use the search function. 

I have seen the area but haven’t actually used it. I am not sure if it is natural beach or imported sandy area as access to the sea is also down steps I think - most of that coastline is rocky ironshore. You would need to research further if that is important. 

Thank you - yes, cabana beach is rocky with imported. sandy area.  i was thinking we can make it a base and walk into chank for the small beach and/or other things to do..Seems like its a bit of a walk then,No pool and. no sandy beeach means we need to rely on chank.  

Thank you very much @c-leg5 and @mitsugirly foryour recommendations.

Booked the Dolphin swim for all 4 which includes eentrance to Chanknaab..Based on how much time wee have after that and lunch we. may do ssnorklling or us one of the dive shops. Thought about getting the beachcabana next door but decided to splurge on dolphin experience instead. Hopeefully everything goes smooth and I will be back to share the experience.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Thanks Again mitsugirly, We just returned from Sky Reef Beach Club in Cozumel.We got there early, no crowds, some nice fans as well as a good variety of fish. Also Maya Key excursion was a great day. The waves were a bit rough for most to snorkel but the facilities were awesome.Another of your suggestions that went over perfectly!

• Like 1

On 2/8/2024 at 6:02 AM, chinni said:

Thank you very much @c-leg5 and @mitsugirly foryour recommendations.

Booked the Dolphin swim for all 4 which includes eentrance to Chanknaab..Based on how much time wee have after that and lunch we. may do ssnorklling or us one of the dive shops. Thought about getting the beachcabana next door but decided to splurge on dolphin experience instead. Hopeefully everything goes smooth and I will be back to share the experience.

How was your day?

11 hours ago, eltigre said:

Thanks Again mitsugirly, We just returned from Sky Reef Beach Club in Cozumel.We got there early, no crowds, some nice fans as well as a good variety of fish. Also Maya Key excursion was a great day. The waves were a bit rough for most to snorkel but the facilities were awesome.Another of your suggestions that went over perfectly!

So glad you had a wonderful time at both. 😊