Citavecchia transfer to central Rome with vatican city tour?

jaygatsby27

Does anything like this exist? We will be in Rome for three days after our cruise and since the ship arrives so early in the morning, it would be nice to get to tour some of Rome before the transfer drops us off in central Rome, where our hotel will not be ready for us.  Is anything like this available outside of hiring a private tour guide?

I don't think there is anything like what the OP specifically is asking for; at least, I've never heard of it. And you'd probably still need to get your own Vatican tickets (which are pretty much required now).

As @kohanfam mentions, though, there is really no problem with depositing your luggage at your hotel. They'll store it until your room(s) are ready. Then you can head out and do whatever you like with the day.

34 minutes ago, Missmelisk said:

The tour company, Rome in Limo, offers this service. We're doing this after disembarkation in May. 

RIL offers it, but the OP specifically asked for a tour "outside of hiring a private tour".

On 2/15/2024 at 12:49 PM, jaygatsby27 said:

Does anything like this exist? We will be in Rome for three days after our cruise and since the ship arrives so early in the morning, it would be nice to get to tour some of Rome before the transfer drops us off in central Rome, where our hotel will not be ready for us.  Is anything like this available outside of hiring a private tour guide?

It isn't clear want you want. Do you want to tour as part of your transfer to your hotel?  Are you looking for a bus tour rather than a private transfer that includes a tour?  Rome in Limo and Stefano's Rome Cabs both offer transfer options with sightseeing.  There might be ship's excursion that include a bus transfer and tour.  But you are staying in Rome for three days.  A transfer with an included tour that does a drive-by of major sites or stops at places outside of Rome could make sense, but paying the driver to stay with the car while you go into venues does not.  Certainly not to go in to the Vatican which can take at least two hours.  

You have a better option. Book whichever transfer to your hotel is available to you.  Drop off your bags at the hotel and go sightseeing while your room is getting ready. There are lots of suggestions on this board for sightseeing in Rome.

8 minutes ago, marazul said:

It isn't clear want you want. Do you want to tour as part of your transfer to your hotel?  Are you looking for a bus tour rather than a private transfer that includes a tour?  Rome in Limo and Stefano's Rome Cabs both offer transfer options with sightseeing.  There might be ship's excursion that include a bus transfer and tour.  But you are staying in Rome for three days.  A transfer with an included tour that does a drive-by of major sites or stops at places outside of Rome could make sense, but paying the driver to stay with the car while you go into venues does not.  Certainly not to go in to the Vatican which can take at least two hours.  

You have a better option. Book whichever transfer to your hotel is available to you.  Drop off your bags at the hotel and go sightseeing while your room is getting ready. There are lots of suggestions on this board for sightseeing in Rome.

I'd like to go from cruise port to vatican city, have a tour whiile my luggage sits in the bus then get dropped off at my hotel.  Royal Caribbean does these in Florida all the time. Is there such a thing in Rome?

1 hour ago, jaygatsby27 said:

I'd like to go from cruise port to vatican city, have a tour whiile my luggage sits in the bus then get dropped off at my hotel.  Royal Caribbean does these in Florida all the time. Is there such a thing in Rome?

NO.  Rome is not Florida.  Think NYC with older, narrower, twisted streets and horrendous traffic.  There is no way a bus would hang around for two hours while passengers go into the Vatican for a tour.  Your ship probably has transfers to central Rome, but it will only be a drive-by of some sights.  They will take you to a drop off site, not directly to your hotel unless you stay at their pre-arranged hotel.  A private transfer would do what you want, but it would be over 500 euros.  And then you are only paying that amount for someone to hold your bags.  You still have to buy the Vatican admission tickets separately and pay for a guide separately, or buy a guided tour.  And if you do not buy the tickets ahead of time, you have to contend with a very long line to buy them, 

Just get to your hotel and drop off your bags at the desk.  They will be placed in a secure location and will be waiting for you when you return.  All hotels do this.  A taxi from/to the Vatican from central Rome costs 10-12€ each way and it is a 15-20 minute ride.  This is really easy and a lot better than having a limo wait for you.  Buy your tickets ahead of time for whichever hour is convenient to you.  Or just go sightseeing in central Rome and go to the Vatican the next day.  Maybe you could get early admission tickets the next day.  This would be a much better use of your money than having a bus or a limo waiting for you.  The Vatican is rearranging its tour offerings and not much is available on their website right now.  https://tickets.museivaticani.va/home.

By the way, you can only get into the Vatican through the Vatican Museums entrance.  If you want to go to St Peter's, that is a separate entrance on the other side of the Vatican grounds.  St. Peter's has a very long security line to get in.  It is best to get there very early before the 7 AM opening time.  No tickets are sold anywhere for it. It is free, but if you go with an independent guided tour, they charge 1.50€ per person.  https://www.basilicasanpietro.va/en.html

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1

I know the difference, i am just asking about options from Royal Caribbean. It doesn't have to be populated with Trump-adoring Republicans for Royal Caribbean to offer transfers with tours.  I will look in to those tour groups and see if I can find some other cruisers interested in the same tour. I don't want to spend 600 euro for a port transfer. 

Edited by jaygatsby27

44 minutes ago, jaygatsby27 said:

I know the difference, i am just asking about options from Royal Caribbean. It doesn't have to be populated with Trump-adoring Republicans for Royal Caribbean to offer transfers with tours.  I will look in to those tour groups and see if I can find some other cruisers interested in the same tour. I don't want to spend 600 euro for a port transfer. 

A simple port transfer from ship to your hotel will not cost 600 euros...more like 150. A full 8 hour day tour will cost about 600 euros.

On 2/22/2024 at 3:27 PM, marazul said:

NO.  Rome is not Florida.  Think NYC with older, narrower, twisted streets and horrendous traffic.  There is no way a bus would hang around for two hours while passengers go into the Vatican for a tour. 

Actually, Celebrity offers just such a post-cruise tour in Rome for my September cruise.  Separate options are offered for ending the tour, after visiting the Vatican Museums and the Sistine Chapel, at the Ostiense train station, the airport, or a particular hotel if the passenger booked that hotel through Celebrity.   Granted, Celebrity options don't help the OP if he is sailing on Royal Caribbean, but clearly this type of tour does exist for some cruisers.  I assume the OP has checked what Royal offers, and if nothing like this is available, then the advice to arrange transfer only to their hotel, drop off baggage, and then start sightseeing on their own sounds like a good choice.  

3 minutes ago, Joanne G. said:

Actually, Celebrity offers just such a post-cruise tour in Rome for my September cruise.  Separate options are offered for ending the tour, after visiting the Vatican Museums and the Sistine Chapel, at the Ostiense train station, the airport, or a particular hotel if the passenger booked that hotel through Celebrity.   Granted, Celebrity options don't help the OP if he is sailing on Royal Caribbean, but clearly this type of tour does exist for some cruisers.  I assume the OP has checked what Royal offers, and if nothing like this is available, then the advice to arrange transfer only to their hotel, drop off baggage, and then start sightseeing on their own sounds like a good choice.  

I guess I picked the wrong cruise line. 😞

1 hour ago, jaygatsby27 said:

I guess I picked the wrong cruise line. 😞

When is your cruise?  If it is, say, next year, maybe Royal just hasn't finalized such a tour with the local operator.  Keep checking.   A friend and I are booked on a disembarkation day tour with Royal out of Southampton, so they do know people like these options. Good luck and have a great trip.