Cancelled Port and Pre-Booked Excursion

Jim_Iain

Just got an email from Oceania that they had substituted a small town, Klawock, Alaska for Wrangell, Alaska.  We had an expensive Excursion booked using both OBC and personal funds.   At this point there are Zero excursions listed for Klanwock (not much there) and they have not cancelled our excursions.  

Will I need to call Oceania to sort this out or will they automatically refund since the port was cancelled.   The cruise is not until September 2024. 

13 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Just got an email from Oceania that they had substituted a small town, Klawock, Alaska for Wrangell, Alaska.  We had an expensive Excursion booked using both OBC and personal funds.   At this point there are Zero excursions listed for Klanwock (not much there) and they have not cancelled our excursions.  

Will I need to call Oceania to sort this out or will they automatically refund since the port was cancelled.   The cruise is not until September 2024. 

I'd call my TA  and let her figure it out and get the time line for replacement bookings.  You will get refunded, but our TA would expidite the process.

Edited by 1985rz1

7 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

I'd call my TA  and let her figure it out and get the time line for replacement bookings.  You will get refunded, but our TA would expidite the process.

Thanks --- I will send him a Text on Monday.   I'm they type that usually does most of my planning myself and only use our TA for the extra perks.    I will have to get use to using him more for things like this.   

I've just never had a cruise line cancel a port and not immediately also cancel and credit back any excursions that were booked.  

• Like 2

A couple of things;

If you have a TA, they also got the email on the cancellation.

The credit card use to book the tour will shortly be refunded.

Your TA is probably waiting for O to decide what they’re doing in the new port before reacting. I’m surprised the email on the cancellation didn’t come via your TA. Lazy work on their part. Good Luck!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks --- I will send him a Text on Monday.   I'm they type that usually does most of my planning myself and only use our TA for the extra perks.    I will have to get use to using him more for things like this.   

I've just never had a cruise line cancel a port and not immediately also cancel and credit back any excursions that were booked.  

Understandable.  Except for cruises, and the occassional land tour, we do our own stuff: airline reservations, tours, hotels, etc.  But for cruises, we have an exceptional TA who only does cruises and has a relationship with Oceania...she also books us on other lines and provides the same exceptional service.

We are on the Riviera in June and they had some major changes such as canceling the last 3 ports including Istanbul which was supposed to be our disembarkation port.  All our flights and hotels were booked and had to be changed

I got the email direct from Oceania and our TA forwarded the same email the next morning which is pretty good turn around given all her clients and the fact she shouldn't be checking email 24/7 for work

Our shore excursion credits (Simply More) were back on our account within 5 days due to our TA's efforts.  It took O over a month to list excursions for the new ports (Kotor/Dubrovnik/Ravenna and disembark in Trieste) We are very happy with the new ports but most of the excursions are way over priced and none have hit the "we have to do this" button for us. 

I have used up the SM excursion credits on two ports early on in the sailing so there is a chance to use them if further changes are made.  Mainly doing self directed city walking tours except for pre/post cruise in Rome and Venice.  

Edited by thebsinmiss
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

If you’re preferred to do it yourself with Oceania you can call them directly to sort out your booked or cancelled excursions and request the refund even if you are booked with a TA. We had the same problem with the canceled port. The direct call to Oceania got it quickly resolved.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pinotlover said:

A couple of things;

If you have a TA, they also got the email on the cancellation.

The credit card use to book the tour will shortly be refunded.

Your TA is probably waiting for O to decide what they’re doing in the new port before reacting. I’m surprised the email on the cancellation didn’t come via your TA. Lazy work on their part. Good Luck!

I received the notification direct from my TA as well as one from Oceania.