World Cruise 2024 Segment Papeete to Auckland aboard Serenity

Stickman1990

Day 11 - Tonga 

We finally made it to Tonga after missing this port in 2020. We were docked, unlike a larger Costa ship which was tendering passengers ashore. The weather was hot hot hot - well it was mainly the high humidity that got to us

Nevertheless we enjoyed a walk into town and visits to various markets and a chat with some locals who were smart enough to be seated under a lovely big tree which afforded some protection from the sun. We bought a few souvenirs at the markets and then returned to the ship for lunch in Tastes

We enjoyed sail away from our balcony 

Then we dined in Tastes which is a nice casual restaurant serving small portion dishes that can be shared family style around the table - we enjoyed a wide selection and left full - but we shall definitely return again. You know what the best thing about dining in Tastes was? We had Benjamin as our sommelier! He is a living treasure of Crystal 

The show was Bruce Hammond who did a Salute to Frank Sinatra - he is very good 

Tomorrow's a sea day as we cruise towards Fiji

and some photos….the foods from Tastes 

IMG_8831.jpeg

IMG_8836.jpeg

IMG_8837.jpeg

IMG_8838.jpeg

IMG_8839.jpeg

IMG_8840.jpeg

IMG_8841.jpeg

IMG_8845.jpeg

IMG_8846.jpeg

IMG_8847.jpeg

IMG_8851.jpeg

• Like 6

Day 12 - at sea heading to Fiji

Another lovely day enjoying very calm seas as we cross the Pacific 

We don’t rise early and the morning soon disappears with attendance at a lectures or for Kerry attending the knitting group which is always popular and great spot to catch-up with old friends from previous cruises. We chatted with Berta, the instructor and her husband Raphael and gave them some tips on excursions in NZ and Australia 

We had a good round at trivia with 13 out of 15 but were second as the top team got 14 - who knew Mars sunsets were blue!

Lunch was at Waterside where we enjoy the friendly staff and the relaxed dining and choices on the menu 

IMG_8860.thumb.jpeg.049f47b8e808767c6708a926d9025ac6.jpeg

It was formal night so we dined in Waterside - I gave the caviar a miss this time and enjoyed a nice seafood salad for my main course. Check out the video of my wife’s dessert! 

IMG_8860.thumb.jpeg.049f47b8e808767c6708a926d9025ac6.jpeg

IMG_8870.thumb.jpeg.bffc905c1527696b937902f4f0068c50.jpeg

IMG_8871.thumb.jpeg.ea43918b4cf279f016d8b02312c35f45.jpeg

I caught the end of the Broadway hits show which I’ve seen many times - hopefully we get some new production shows soon as although the ensemble perform them very well the shows are all too familiar 

IMG_8882.thumb.jpeg.4ec85d8a6b1286a60cf129ae35bd66e2.jpeg

I had a few nightcaps in the Avenue where Neal Fullerton was entertaining a fairly full house on his piano and guitar 

IMG_8897.thumb.jpeg.aa761adca1449199c4a898abf16f5285.jpeg

Tomorrow is Lautoka, Fiji so some time ashore

IMG_2998.thumb.jpeg.58714216ee01edb884ae948acac9c349.jpeg

IMG_8866.jpeg

• Like 8

4 hours ago, ryndam said:

Told 'ya! Glad you filmed the presentation for those that may not feel tempted to order it.

I didn’t have to twist her arm to be the model for the shoot 😂😂😂😉

• Like 1

Day 13 - Lautoka, Fiji 

Bula! The greeting we heard so many times as we walked around Lautoka - such friendly and relaxed locals 

It was another hot hot hot day and we took the shuttle into town where we walked to the local markets and enjoyed seeing all the different fruits and vegetables on offer - including the Kava roots which are made into a drink and used in ceremonies 

It started to rain for sail away but that also bought on some rainbows which my wife captured in some great shots 

We dined in Waterside and had a variety of dishes and this time almost everyone joined me in having a Niçoise salad while one at our table opted for prime rib

Lead vocalist Sarah Coombs performed a solo show featuring many females vocalists - it was very popular and Sarah did a great job across a range of artists 

We sailed into the night and my wife decided to try for some night shots which came out really well 

Sea day tomorrow for us route to Port Vila

and the occasional photo that manages to load (note this is not an issue with the ships internet - it’s CC not allowing uploading reliably)

IMG_8916.jpeg

IMG_8917.jpeg

IMG_3064.jpeg

IMG_3070.jpeg

IMG_1517.jpeg

• Like 5

Day 14 - Cruising to Port Vila, Vanuatu 

Another great day at sea, the seas have been so calm as we cross the Pacific - fingers crossed they stay the same 

We followed our normal sea day routine which is basically eating and drinking with a few activities like knitting and playing games with friends thrown in - trust me we are never bored when at sea 

The morning show featured a very special guest, familiar to many of you - Benjamin who shared some stories about his background and 22+ year career with Crystal - lovely to see the crew being profiled by Rick on the show 

IMG_1507.thumb.jpeg.d2f9fae109b1e56a67cf61fdc47de898.jpeg

IMG_1505.thumb.jpeg.b3c5db78cb0fbe86404fed17f8412f5c.jpeg

I went to a lecture on Nuclear Submarines and life aboard - I’ll stick to cruising above the water thanks 

We like to hang out in the bistro and we got to meet the Executive Pastry Chef who was overseeing his tempting treats being put out late morning - he and his team of pastry chefs do a great job and I even had a cannoli as a treat to sample their wares 

Trivia was somewhat forgettable with 10 out of 15 

IMG_8931.thumb.jpeg.4782a862df3b89ce80828868bdb9f5ae.jpeg

In the evening I went to drinks in the Captains Quarters with Captain Vincent Taillard - nice to have this opportunity and chat with fellow guests. I also got the opportunity to meet Franco, who is the son of a very popular Crystal crew member, Kiko - his family and late father would be very proud of him and we wish him well in his career at Crystal

We dined at Osteria d Ovidio and tried some different dishes that our last visit - I like the lighter style of the menu but I’m yet to find dishes that draw me back. The ambience of the restaurant including the very attentive serving staff is very nice 

IMG_8940.thumb.jpeg.43893972ca469855570fae31045b00fb.jpeg

IMG_8946.thumb.jpeg.22637ec195e254379c7c25d025135016.jpeg

IMG_8947.thumb.jpeg.4e6ec0f9d370282c1b1619a25ac45a29.jpeg

IMG_8948.thumb.jpeg.e52032ae39986fcfa4cc53e50c17861e.jpeg

IMG_8949.thumb.jpeg.8903e8f13c9fec8ce075f1540002c873.jpeg

IMG_8952.thumb.jpeg.42018fb9e89ba323f312d398945ba2eb.jpeg

IMG_8953.thumb.jpeg.a2997ec219f0de37bcc2c96cc794a083.jpeg

My wife  got some great photos of the night sky including one of the Southern Cross

IMG_8966.thumb.jpeg.509cbb56321ef0d196c52bd4625182a1.jpegIMG_8961.thumb.jpeg.ede03be305b62752555741c37bd75b35.jpeg 

Tomorrow were in Port Vila - our first visit there

IMG_3119.jpeg

IMG_3136.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

Lovely pictures! We met Benjamin on our first Symphony cruise in 1999! We went to the pool and he offered us refreshment, we asked for water, and he returned and used our names.

To this day I don't know how he knew our names! He is the best!

Edited by Txcotn
  • Like 5

Vanuatu.  Booked a ship tour and it was once again a disappointment.  Scheduled for four hours, it was less than two.  We were shown a cacao bean pod and various finished chocolate products.  Tasting followed.  No explanation of what happens in between, no demonstration.  Factory  (which appeared to be just a few tanks) was not operating.  Of course, the shop offering products was open.   Driver was more interested in selling side trips than giving a tour.  

Dwight

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, History&Wine said:

Driver was more interested in selling side trips than giving a tour.  

Sounds like a recurring theme - anywhere from $30-$50 seemed to be the asking price offered for a tour to a beach, in the shuttle into the town centre (they weren’t pushy about it at all though)

They would have done better to allow local operators to setup a tent ship side like they did in Fiji although we heard those who took them promptly got charged admission fees in addition to the tour fee at most of the attractions they visited 

The ships tour options today were the Chocolate Factory and River Kayaking I think many of us needed other things like a boat tour, fishing or snorkelling to experience Vanuatu 

Fair to say being Sunday options for shopping in town were very limited - maybe we should have gone to Mystery Island instead and made our own party (I know they can’t take food and beverage on there anymore but it was a lot of fun back in 2016) - the swimming off the beach there was great

Thank you, Kerry, for beautiful South Pacific photos. 👍

I’m reliving our 2014 Papeete-Auckland cruise on Symphony on this thread! 😉

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Txcotn said:

Lovely pictures! We met Benjamin on our first Symphony cruise in 1999! We went to the pool and he offered us refreshment, we asked for water, and he returned and used our names.

To this day I don't know how he knew our names! He is the best!

My husband and I totally agree with you.  Benjamin is the best representation of Crystal services.  He definitively recognized us when we cruised on the Serenity in October 2023.  We were back with Crystal after the 3 years ‘no travel’ during the pandemic period.  He represents what Crystal is all about, he is part of the family!

• Like 7