Preboarding app issues not a good look to first time VV cruisers

cantgetin

My sis and BIL are scheduled for their first VV cruise.  Today I got an email about how bad the app was after she stayed up a good part of the night trying to make dinner reservations.  With help from her travel agent, she was  later able to get "something" for each night of her cruise and does understand the possibility of changing to a time that they might prefer after boarding.  She knows all about the "held back" reservations and stuff, but this level of frustration is not a good look for VV.  I guess they think that things are so good after boarding that people will forget the stress that went into getting things set up.  Makes me feel really sorry for new cruisers who don't have someone to fill them in on the "tricks."

• Like 5

In five different sailings now on Virgin Voyages, I can tell you that there's a point or two prior to sailing when the app "goes wonky", but getting even closer, and once on board, everything just works itself out... 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, sid_9169 said:

In five different sailings now on Virgin Voyages, I can tell you that there's a point or two prior to sailing when the app "goes wonky", but getting even closer, and once on board, everything just works itself out... 

I know, as and a veteran VV cruiser, that's what I told her.  She just found it very frustrating as a newbie to be trying to do things correctly and have them not work.

• Like 3

VV isn’t alone in this. Heck Carnival's app does nothing more than link to their website prior to boarding. MSC is almost useless pre boarding. It’s common for the industry 

• Like 3

On 2/21/2024 at 5:54 PM, cantgetin said:

My sis and BIL are scheduled for their first VV cruise.  Today I got an email about how bad the app was after she stayed up a good part of the night trying to make dinner reservations.  With help from her travel agent, she was  later able to get "something" for each night of her cruise and does understand the possibility of changing to a time that they might prefer after boarding.  She knows all about the "held back" reservations and stuff, but this level of frustration is not a good look for VV.  I guess they think that things are so good after boarding that people will forget the stress that went into getting things set up.  Makes me feel really sorry for new cruisers who don't have someone to fill them in on the "tricks."

It is true that the reservations system is a pain point, especially for the first-timers.  And the technology needs work.  But if you want to hear complaints about apps, drop by the Princess forums.  And they just rolled out a big upgrade. 

Hopefully, the onboard experience will make up for it. But it's not a great first impression, no doubt about it.

Edited by Gretchendz
  • Like 3

On 2/22/2024 at 11:13 PM, Gretchendz said:

Hopefully, the onboard experience will make up for it. But it's not a great first impression, no doubt about it.

I'm not a new cruiser, but my first experience wirh Virgin Voyages was a missing suitcase at 2PM that was eventually located at 6:45 PM. Almost 5 hours of stress that I'll never get back. But...we kissed and made up since then 😍

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Cloud9 Bob said:

I'm not a new cruiser, but my first experience wirh Virgin Voyages was a missing suitcase at 2PM that was eventually located at 6:45 PM. Almost 5 hours of stress that I'll never get back. But...we kissed and made up since then 😍

Glad you are into forgiveness!  I have had that happen on other lines, so I understand the stress.  It's why I bought AirTags (the Android equivalent) and keep one in each checked bag. That way I know they are on the ship, at least.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/21/2024 at 5:54 PM, cantgetin said:

On 2/24/2024 at 8:55 AM, Gretchendz said:

Glad you are into forgiveness!  I have had that happen on other lines, so I understand the stress.  It's why I bought AirTags (the Android equivalent) and keep one in each checked bag. That way I know they are on the ship, at least.

I gave up. Besides, I dislike having a calendar full of appointments. Good thing I’m not a foodie.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2024 at 11:13 PM, Gretchendz said:

It is true that the reservations system is a pain point, especially for the first-timers.  And the technology needs work.  But if you want to hear complaints about apps, drop by the Princess forums.  And they just rolled out a big upgrade. 

On 2/22/2024 at 5:38 PM, cantgetin said:

I know, as and a veteran VV cruiser, that's what I told her.  She just found it very frustrating as a newbie to be trying to do things correctly and have them not work.

How soon is your sister and BIL's sailing? Much of the stuff on the app can't be reserved until a couple of months before the cruise.

53 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

How soon is your sister and BIL's sailing? Much of the stuff on the app can't be reserved until a couple of months before the cruise.

Early April.  They were well within the reservation period.
On my upcoming cruise, the entire reservation system went down including the TA portal and sailor services....I guess stuff happens, but yuk.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, cantgetin said:

Early April.  They were well within the reservation period.
On my upcoming cruise, the entire reservation system went down including the TA portal and sailor services....I guess stuff happens, but yuk.

Yeah, sounds annoying, for sure. It just wasn't obvious from the first post. People often book cruises years in advance, so I didn't know. (Ours isn't until January 2025, so I'm not going to stress about it)

• Like 2